Advise on felling a leaner

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not much help on this subject.. I fly on instinct all Murphy's laws.. Park a nice, new 4x4 within reach of the tree, and parked where ya wish the tree to drop.. At this point it just don't matter what cut, who's cut, hinge cut, or even why cut.. Just started whittling (tech term) on that hummer.. When it finally sircomes to the ire of a sharp chain start the yelling.. TIMBEEEEEE!!!!O-****. And ta-daaaa. Right there on top of the truck..and beer money from insurance. Do not try this at home.. I am an untrained bullshitter. Cheers. K
You should become a certified malarkey slinger, you have a natural talent. The test is easy, if I can pass it....

No, it's highlighted, but I'll explain it :).
I don't know his sharpening skills, so his sharpest chain might not be the best for the job, IDK. For many out of the box chain is way better than what they can do, if that's the case they probably aren't the person for the job either.
I like that your thinking about it, but my question is how does a sharp chain make this all go wrong, unless I misread what you wrote.
I doubt being very sharp could be a problem, but I have been wrong before.

No, it's highlighted, but I'll explain it :).
I don't know his sharpening skills, so his sharpest chain might not be the best for the job, IDK. For many out of the box chain is way better than what they can do, if that's the case they probably aren't the person for the job either.
And anyway I guess when I suggested a sharp chain I was thinking new in box, RS or preference. Not a square ground racing chain, although I can't even see that that would be bad.neither would be worse than a dull firewood chain that hadn't seen a file in a week. Which is what I was advising against!

Hi all, not trying to intrude on this argument here, but I have a question. I’m a fairly experienced feller. I’ve fallen a few leaning trees before, but never used the bore cut method. From what research I’ve done, it looks like a much safer method for rotten and leaning trees. I guess what I’m wondering, is why some are saying that you need experience bore cutting to bore cut the tree? The method seems very straightforward to me. That video in page 2 explains it all pretty well. What am I missing here?

Hi all, not trying to intrude on this argument here, but I have a question. I’m a fairly experienced feller. I’ve fallen a few leaning trees before, but never used the bore cut method. From what research I’ve done, it looks like a much safer method for rotten and leaning trees. I guess what I’m wondering, is why some are saying that you need experience bore cutting to bore cut the tree? The method seems very straightforward to me. That video in page 2 explains it all pretty well. What am I missing here?
I think if you're gonna make your first bore cut, start on a tree a little more predictable to become familiar with the technique. But it is very straightforward.

Make sure his chain is as sharp as he can get it and saw is operationally sound.
Here's what you said.
Have you seen his chains cut before. If he can't sharpen a chain, he would be in a heck of a place with a chain "as sharp as he can get it".
It's that simple.
And anyway I guess when I suggested a sharp chain I was thinking new in box, RS or preference. Not a square ground racing chain, although I can't even see that that would be bad.neither would be worse than a dull firewood chain that hadn't seen a file in a week. Which is what I was advising against!
You didn't suggest a sharp chain, but a chain "as sharp as he could get it".
You already said that once, your as bad as my wife, telling me the same thing over and over, does not make me any smarter...:oops:
Some people have a hard time holding a conversation based on what they say, not what they mean :omg:.
I don't disagree that a sharp chain is a good idea, but I'm unaware of his sharpening abilities ;).

The bigggbi cocernc I would assume is the potential of a kick back when boring in, and the the risk of nipping your holding wood accidentally. Definitely something to practice on a non risky tree before trying it on sonething hazardous

IMO, strictly from a method standpoint only, the bore cut is the right choice. Im not going to assume his ability. He can decide for himself. I can only comment on what I would do and how i would go about it. Just like in the video I posted, there are potential consequences when using that method and we can easily discuss those so he can become more knowledgeable. Regardless of his experience, successful execution is up to the cutter. Understanding all the risks and taking the proper action to eliminate or reduce them is the name of the game. If the OP doesn't know how to do a bore cut then I agree he shoukd probably just walk away from this tree for now. If he's comfortable in taking the training wheels off and learning then we can at least talk through this and give him insight.

Here's what you said.
Have you seen his chains cut before. If he can't sharpen a chain, he would be in a heck of a place with a chain "as sharp as he can get it".
It's that simple.

You didn't suggest a sharp chain, but a chain "as sharp as he could get it".

Some people have a hard time holding a conversation based on what they say, not what they mean :omg:.
I don't disagree that a sharp chain is a good idea, but I'm unaware of his sharpening abilities ;).
Again I apologize for my incorrect quotes, I've said it before in other places , I have this really cool piece of titanium in my head that unfortunately makes me forget 99% of what I type as soon as I type it. I have to go back and refresh if someone like you hits the like button on one of my comments, literally 3 min after I type it ,I will have to go back and reread it just to see what someone likes, frustrating to say the least.
If I had known there was going to be a test, I would have reread before I posted.
To me it sounds as though you are trying to avoid my primary question that I posed to you. And there is no need to do that because I am only asking because you may possess information that I would like to possess myself,definitely not being critical of your statement!
I stand by all my assertions that a sharp chain is required, as sharp as you can get it and/or a new RS is a good thing also.
Let's take those statements out of the equation, and try one more time to see if I can articulate my query properly.

Chipper, how are you today, I'm fine, thanks.
I had something I was gonna ask you that you probably know more about than I. I read this awhile ago from a guy that by all accounts isn't a dummy,
A chain as sharp as he can get it could be a good thing, or it could be the thing that makes everything go bad.
The part I am curious about is the second portion, could you please explain how a very sharp could , if I remember correctly ,make everything go bad? I feel as though I am missing info that I may need in the future , so if you know please tell me before I forget what we're talking about again!
Thanks, Matt....

Sorry about my miss quotes,I guess I was generalising generally, won't happen again. I will make sure I confirm my sources n the future.
I really do forget that quickly, I can be watching a movie and get up to get a drink and have no clue what I'm watching.
Been a long time since it got me called out though, did my wife put you up to it, she does the same thing and tries to turn my questions around on me to avoid the actual question....

IMO, strictly from a method standpoint only, the bore cut is the right choice. Im not going to assume his ability. He can decide for himself. I can only comment on what I would do and how i would go about it. Just like in the video I posted, there are potential consequences when using that method and we can easily discuss those so he can become more knowledgeable. Regardless of his experience, successful execution is up to the cutter. Understanding all the risks and taking the proper action to eliminate or reduce them is the name of the game. If the OP doesn't know how to do a bore cut then I agree he shoukd probably just walk away from this tree for now. If he's comfortable in taking the training wheels off and learning then we can at least talk through this and give him insight.
Hear,Hear...

Well said sir!

Here's what you said.
It's that simple.
No I haven't, my fault for assuming that he is even qualified to operate a saw,much less sharpen it.
I'm not real proficient at calling people out so I didn't quiz him on the basics and was only repeating info that is in every chainsaw manual I have ever had. They all clearly state to ensure you use a sharp chain for safety and mechanical reasons. But now I should probably go back and read those again to see how bad I misquoted them!

I have had good luck with the coos bay cut with hardwood alders ,it rips the guts out where the holding wood is ,but the tree does not chair out ,or at least hasn't yet for me .I like this cut because you can control the speed on how fast it falls making your back cut for less chance of breaking the tree when hits .coos cut 002.JPG hpqscan0001-1  Coos Bay cut crop.jpg

I have had good luck with the coos bay cut with hardwood alders ,it rips the guts out where the holding wood is ,but the tree does not chair out ,or at least hasn't yet for me .I like this cut because you can control the speed on how fast it falls making your back cut for less chance of breaking the tree when hits .View attachment 640040 View attachment 640041
Very interesting, I need to go outside and give it a try...

Here is an alder that had a good lean ,it went over real slow ,if look at the stump can see the triangle cuts and the fiber pull is obvious ,if i would have chased the back cut the top would have broke on this one .coos bay cut alder 028.JPG coos bay cut alder 026.JPG coos bay cut alder 027.JPG

Here is an alder that had a good lean ,it went over real slow ,if look at the stump can see the triangle cuts and the fiber pull is obvious ,if i would have chased the back cut the top would have broke on this one .View attachment 640045 View attachment 640047 View attachment 640048
That is an interesting approach, although depending on the amount of rot in this situation, may not be applicable, if I'm looking at it correctly. But I can see a lot of situations that this method might be more or at least as appropriate as a standard bore cut... Thanks for sumthin new to try...

That is an interesting approach, although depending on the amount of rot in this situation, may not be applicable, if I'm looking at it correctly. But I can see a lot of situations that this method might be more or at least as appropriate as a standard bore cut... Thanks for sumthin new to try...
Took me a bit to understand how it actually worked ,the side cuts release a lot of tension if you look at the stump ,just another way to do something ,if think the center is rotten take your saw and plunge cut up and down into the center of heart and look at the chips ,if they are white and wet its solid ,if brown and and or dry well ,bore cut may be better because the center is soft .

You should become a certified malarkey slinger, you have a natural talent. The test is easy, if I can pass it....
I don't know if your comment is good or bad.. In any case it's much nicer than my wifes. I read on.. I'm outta this

Latest posts

Back