Advise on rigging set ups

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not sure what your question is but a good place to start would be the book:
the Art and Science of Practical Rigging. Since most people on here are familiar with the book you can ask more specific questions and probably get some decent answers.
Regards,
Phil

You need a Block and sling for the tree then a portawrap and sling for an anchor.

That is true, but I prefer the 3/4" Whoopie from Sherrill for the PW attachment to tree, as it is easier to get it tight on the tree and maintain proper heigth. For lighter rigging you can use a pulley in tree instead of the block, but you will eventually need a good block. I agree on the rigging book.
Rick

Great advise, portawrap is popular anyone familiar about the stien device thought it was cool how it strapped in top and bottom seemed like it might be easier to work. So for lighter stuff pulleys ok and stuff like the main trunk gonna wanna block?

I would say that any negative rigging requires a block with a strong sling. Pulleys are normally lighter and easier to install on a limb, so I start with them. If I feel the need for larger than 1/2 rig line, I tend to switch to a block as well.

I've looked at the Stein as well. Not easy to get locally and I have yet to see one in person. I may try to make one just to see how well it works. I do wonder about the pulling clamp causing possible rope damage.
Rick

Stein

I have a Stein and it is absolutely wonderful. The rope runs thru it soo much smoother than a Porta-wrap. That being said it does take twices as long to initially setup and does require a bit of tending occasionally to keep the top and bottom rope separated, not a big deal but just time. If we are only going to rig a hand full of pieces I usually just use the Porta-wrap. The Porta-wrap does a good job on light rigging that is just a touch more than I want to take by hand and I put a "half-wrap" on it. The Stein really needs a full wrap. The Stein really shines with one or multiple wraps.

That is true, but I prefer the 3/4" Whoopie from Sherrill for the PW attachment to tree, as it is easier to get it tight on the tree and maintain proper heigth. For lighter rigging you can use a pulley in tree instead of the block, but you will eventually need a good block. I agree on the rigging book.
Rick

I thought a pulley and a block were the same thing.

I thought a pulley and a block were the same thing.

Wrong again there Clueless Carb. A pulley must not be directly anchored by rope or fiber, it requires a connecting device such as a beaner or link. A block is designed to be anchored directly by rope or fiber. Has nothing to do with size.

Rick

Last edited:
I would ASSUME that theirs some rope to pulley or block diameter rule so theirs no rope binding

Yes, pulleys and blocks are rated for max load and rope diameter. Safe working load is often at 10 - 20% of tensile strength. Check pulleys and blocks in the Sherrill catalog, they often give both load ratings.

Wrong again there Clueless Carb. A pulley must not be directly anchored by rope or fiber, it requires a connecting device such as a beaner or link. A block is designed to be anchored directly by rope or fiber. Has nothing to do with size.

Rick

There's something else that has me at odds with what you're saying; I've always heard that blocks should only be anchored with a sling/s, never with rope.

Also; At what point does a pulley become a block?

I would ASSUME that theirs some rope to pulley or block diameter rule so theirs no rope binding

I use a 1' sling and pulley and they are no ropes that are gonna bind through that ...Maybe a bit of a overkill sometimes but I don't have time or space to have 4 or 5 different setups ...

There's something else that has me at odds with what you're saying; I've always heard that blocks should only be anchored with a sling/s, never with rope.

Also; At what point does a pulley become a block?

If a pulley gets lots of sleep, eats all its vegetables and does its homework, it then becomes a block.

If a pulley gets lots of sleep, eats all its vegetables and does its homework, it then becomes a block.

Lol,

So basically what you're saying is; A block is just a healthier, stronger, and smarter pulley.

arborist-blocks.html
Lol,

So basically what you're saying is; A block is just a healthier, stronger, and smarter pulley.

Negative it is of a different design!

Last edited:
Back