Welcome to ArboristSite.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the ArboristSite community.

ArboristSite.com Sponsors

1. Please see this post Click Here Please ask questions if you have them!! I hope this is going to be great for us all.
    Dismiss Notice

After a sucky deer season, time for changes.

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors!!!' started by alleyyooper, Dec 24, 2017.

1. esshup

esshup ArboristSite Guru

Feb 21, 2010
    Here in Indiana, no baiting is allowed for hunting. That includes mineral licks. You have to remove the bait AND ANY AFFECTED GROUND a minimum of 10 days before the season starts. It's up to the game wardens discretion, but if the deer are "influenced" by the bait site, a ticket could be written - so set distance away from it. Food plots are legal. I have had great luck with Tall Tines Tubers planted in early to mid August for a fall/winter food plot. This place is surrounded by corn or bean fields, and the deer seem to like variety in their diet. I'll plant Power Plant in the Spring, till it under in early August and plant the Tall Tine Tubers.

Here deer 10 miles away might like different things to eat, so I'd go with a mixture of things until you know what they like to eat.

Deer need the salt in their diet when they are eating moist food, they don't hit the salt blocks during late fall/winter here. Well, I should say they dont' hit them like they do when the plants are green.
    farmer steve likes this.