After-market P+C for 038AV

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sledgehammer

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi,

Does anyone know where i could get a non-oem P+C for an 038AV (48mm) in the UK? For the amount of work this saw will see it's not really worth shelling out for the genuine items...

I've checked ebay (all seem to be 50 or 52mm) and googled a bit but no joy.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Sledge

Try http://myworld.ebay.com/cheapstihlparts/ I got an original Stihl 038 Super Cylinder, Piston, Pin, bearing and clips delivered for £75 last year.
Even if he hasn't one listed it doesn't mean that he doesn't have one in stock to sell to you.
If you buy from the USA remember to have $30 or less "Total Value" on the Packaging slip otherwise it will be opened by Parcel Force at our end, you will be charged import duty depending on the price and have to pay Parcel Force a handling charge or you won't get it at all.

Last edited:
Hi,

Does anyone know where i could get a non-oem P+C for an 038AV (48mm) in the UK? For the amount of work this saw will see it's not really worth shelling out for the genuine items...

I've checked ebay (all seem to be 50 or 52mm) and googled a bit but no joy.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Sledge

I wish I could tell you. I'm in the same boat, I have an AV in need of P&C but can't find a 48 mm. I think the 50 mm "Super" will fit though. Check with others here, but if I remember rightly the 48 mm AV and 50 mm Super are interchangeable. It's only the 52 mm Magnum that has different bolt centres and won't fit. Unfortunately it's the 52 mm that everyone seems to be selling. I've seen one seller in Germany who sells the 48 mm set, but it's about £80 before you add the shipping cost.

Dan

Thanks for all the suggestions and apologies for not replying sooner - wife dropped number 3 screaming ankle-biter so been a bit busy... :)

Anyway - managed to fix the problem. Found a cheap 036 piston for £5. Only difference is that the pin is smaller than on the 038.

Bunged it in the lathe, bored and lapped out the pin holes, job done.:) :)

Cheers

48mm and 50mm kits will fit directly onto 038, 038 Super and 038 FarmBoss without machining.

Service workshop manual (p.27) says you may have to machine case to do the conversion (038 to 038S) and stihl made a template for that purpose.

I recently installed a OEM 038M cyl assy onto a 038S case that just required a bit of work (ca. 1 hr.) with a dremel on the cylinder to slot the mounting holes and allow the bolt heads to clear the cylinder wall (see my previous post a few days back).

I think you could do the same with a 038 and make it a 038M too. Again you may/may not have to make room on the case.....

If you don't want to buy OEM parts I can say the Tecomec assys made in Italy are quality parts. I'll be doing another conversion (038S to 038M) with one of those next.

Last edited:
Hi,

I used the pin from the old piston - no need to shorten it. I did use new clips though. I guess i should add that this was not a genuine stihl piston - good quality copy; Very nice and clean casting.

Anyway - managed to get it put together last night. I gave everything a quick rinse in some fresh mix before assembly. 5 pulls and it started up. Needs a tune-up but as it was near 9pm i didn't want to annoy the neighbours too much so that'll happen this weekend.

Cheers..

To be honest i didn't really compare the pin lengths.

Eyeballing the piston told me that i'd need to use the old pin but other than that it looked fine. I went ahead and bored the piston to fit the old pin, centered it and cut grooves to take the retaining clips. I didn't measure but i'd estimate there was about 1.5mm from the edge of the piston to the retaining clip grooves.

Thanks for the heads-up about the differing pin-lengths; i'll have a look at the old one and see how much difference there is in this respect.

On the upside this is gonna be an occasionally used saw so my gut feeling is that it will survive the amount of use i put it through. On the other hand if my dealer has any more of those pistons i might buy another one and carefully grind the pin down to give myself a bit of extra comfort...:)

Thanks again for all the help...

Cheers
Sledge

Latest posts

Back