After the storm cleanup.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huskybill

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have trees to fell after the wind storm ripped the tops off. They need to be pulled, there leaning the wrong direction. I need to pull them with my Willy’s Jeep tractor. The smaller diameter trees I’ll pull. The larger diameter trees we will wedge and pull. My question is I’m looking at 3/4” diameter arborists tree rigging bull rope. It’s rated for 20,000 lbs. and 100’ long. Would this work? Any suggestions or guidance?

I have trees to fell after the wind storm ripped the tops off. They need to be pulled, there leaning the wrong direction. I need to pull them with my Willy’s Jeep tractor. The smaller diameter trees I’ll pull. The larger diameter trees we will wedge and pull. My question is I’m looking at 3/4” diameter arborists tree rigging bull rope. It’s rated for 20,000 lbs. and 100’ long. Would this work? Any suggestions or guidance?
I use 5/8 samson stable braid all the time, 3/4 will be just fine, though I suggest getting 200' the extra PITA of dragging it around pays for its self by letting you redirect and or put in some 2-1 stuff, keeping you well out of the danger zones

Few other suggestions, would be a BigShot, a couple throw weights and some throw line, Maybe a couple 5/8 shackles (clevice) use these to go between the winch line and the rope, as well as a creating a choker on the tree end, saves a lot of stress on the line, all told be less then $600 but will save you hours of frustration trying to get the line hung as high as possible... and you will want the line as high as possible.

I use 5/8 samson stable braid all the time, 3/4 will be just fine, though I suggest getting 200' the extra PITA of dragging it around pays for its self by letting you redirect and or put in some 2-1 stuff, keeping you well out of the danger zones

Few other suggestions, would be a BigShot, a couple throw weights and some throw line, Maybe a couple 5/8 shackles (clevice) use these to go between the winch line and the rope, as well as a creating a choker on the tree end, saves a lot of stress on the line, all told be less then $600 but will save you hours of frustration trying to get the line hung as high as possible... and you will want the line as high as possible.

Thanks I was just thinking about a throw line.

Not familiar with that particular rope, but it does look like arborplex, which is ok, there are better stronger ropes out there, though that one should do ya just fine. I've used 1/2 arborplex to pull massive back leaning cottonweeds over with a masdam puller, its all about leverage, higher you can get it, the easier it is on the rope.

correction, I clicked on the link... arborplex is 3 strand braided rope.... not sure about the other stuff, but if its rated, trust the rating

that said, I would be nervous using rope from ebay, getting it from WesSpur. sherril tree or bailey's then you at least know its new, and not been exposed to oils and chemicals etc

I personally have my doubts on that ebay rope. Says nothing about manufacturer on there. Says it is made in the US, but if they won't post the manufacturer's name I don't believe them. There's plenty of great, trusted rope manufacturers in the world. New England Rope/Teufelberger, Sterling, Yale, Sampson, Atlantic Brades, PMI, Courant to name a few. I'd get a rope made by any of those companies and trust it with my life. You're in the northeast, so check out Rock n Arbor and GAP arborist supply in Pennsylvania. R&W rope in Massachusetts is a good place, but not arbor specific, but close to you and a trusted seller. Nationwide lots of good options Endors Tree Gear in Ohio, Arbsession in Wisconson. Wesspur in Washington. Treestuff/Sherrill in North Carolina are all safe options.

Throwball and line is a must have. Don't know the biggest tree you're dealing with, but 3/4 inch may be overkill if you are lifting/supporting the full weight of a big tree. 1/2 line will pull over some big ones that are on a hinge. With the bonus that half inch line is much easier to work with and haul around. I agree with the 200 feet. 150 minimum. You want your rope to be as high in the tree as possible and you should be ideally 1.5 times the tree height away from it. If not you should invest in a pulley system as well and redirect to get yourself out of the kill zone which uses up more rope.

Stay safe out there. Cheers.

Latest posts

Back