Aftermarket Cylinder... good and bad... the Truth!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

watsonr

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Been lots of talk lately of aftermarket parts, specifically cylinders and pistons and honestly some pretty bad pictures of junk! We all see posts of failed stuff and hear some of great experiences. Since joining this site years ago, like most you for some advise, I realized that the market didn't hold much promise of good quality aftermarket stuff until here lately. I was presented an opportunity to become a sponsor and sell some chainsaw parts. Like you, tired of being raked over the coals for parts cost and I started really digging.

You all can recall the recent exchanges between members here about the Meteor cylinder kit that I sent to Brad Snelling for a test run.... and after heated discussion and a little persuasion, the test revealed that they are much improved! Not perfect but very much improved in the last several years. Plug and play for most, always modified by a builder!

Today, I'm going to show you some pictures and tell you what I've found. I said in an earlier post several months ago that I want to make a difference and believe I can! Serious discussions have occurred, a lot of digging thru the BS to find the real answer and what really happens. Most know that these pistons and cylinders are only made in a couple manufacturing plants. Most re-brand the parts, box them up and send them out as there own.... even thought they are made in the same factory to the same spec! You need to know that quality in some are horrible and pretty darn good in others and it's really about the grade of that quality that is presented to you in the reflection of the price...PERIOD! Pay for lesser quality (grade B or C) and receive a lower grade of junk.... some will say. Buy grade A, pay a premium price.

You may even ask your supplier to reveal his supplier and most will not! They are afraid of someone closing the deal and being cut out of the line and rightfully so, here we go!

Meteor pistons and cylinders are considered the #1 aftermarket product and are sold at premium prices. They include Caber rings and are an extremely good quality cast iron ring. Just about any of the cast iron rings will perform well and I wouldn't sweat anything using any brand of cast ring. No need for pictures of Meteor products, they stand by themselves and pictures are everywhere. Here's what nobody will do... warranty them against failure.

This is a cylinder made in a factory far far away and is knocking on the door of Meteor, actually may have them already! The kit is extremely good, ports are the right shape, smooth castings and chamfered to prevent catching a ring. Pistons are really nice, perfectly shaped and like the others are plug and play. Nikasil coating is taking over, lower grade cylinders are still using chrome, everybody is heading to Nikasil. This first kit is made by HyWay and it's NICE! And it's on it's way to Randy for installation on a Husky 385. Clips are not that great, rings are cast.
IMAG1446.jpg

IMAG1451.jpg

IMAG1452.jpg

IMAG1448.jpg

IMAG1449.jpg

IMAG1447.jpg

You can not go wrong with a kit like this... except they really aren't available... UNTIL NOW! And I'll give you a 90 day warranty against failure. I have them now and only in certain common sizes like 044/440, 460, 066, 372.

Next we have an un-know and I'm not going to reveal who, but they are as equally as good! They are slightly cheaper and do have split rings with them and clips that are wire formed. This kit is good! Piston and cylinder are finished very nice, good chamfering, port shape and finish is spot on, so is the piston! This kit will be offered with a replacement set of Caber rings and yes, I'll cover you on this one as well, 90 days against failure if you use the Caber rings... and I will not budge on the rings, you order this kit, the rings are sent automatically! This is a 660 kit.
IMAG1436.jpg

IMAG1440.jpg

IMAG1443.jpg

IMAG1438.jpg

IMAG1442.jpg

How about some pictures of a windowed piston kit?

edit: You must have been uploading while I was posting. The 2nd kit has a much nicer combustion chamber than the WP kits from '08. I won't say the same about the piston, but it can be massaged. Neither of those pistons holds a candle to Meteor.

I went downstairs and grabbed my spare WP 066BB kit ('08). The combustion chamber is more symmetrical, hemispherical, larger and not as smooth as your example. The piston had already been massaged to reduce weight, but I can see some obvious differences. It would be interesting to see a current WP kit.....not trying to rain on your parade, but making some observations in regards to my older kit. What else would be interesting would be to have someone post up port timing/duration on various kits....

Last edited:
Can you get them to move the ring locating pins in just a touch? I like the way the first OEM 394 pistons were. For those of us how like to extend the transfer way to the intake side it would be appreciated.

Last one, another great kit!!!
IMAG1417.jpg

IMAG1415.jpg

IMAG1421.jpg

IMAG1424.jpg

IMAG1419.jpg

Alright. A bunch of digging, a handful of really nice aftermarket kits and products with a warranty. You asked for good quality, someone is listening! I'm going to go one further than anybody that sells here.....

I'm giving a 90 day warranty on any Meteor kit I sell. The warranty is against failure, if it fails in 90 days, I'll send you a new kit. You present your invoice and failed part, I'll send you a new kit.

I'll do that same thing on any HyWay kit and any of the un-named kits I described and showed pictures of. You have to give me a few days to get the un-named kits in stock. I have HyWay kits and Meteor kits now, but not in every size. I'll try to get every size of whatever kit they offer and every kit will be inspected for quality before shipping.... every kit will have a good cast iron ring and if I don't think the rings are good, you get Cabers with them. I'll throw in a gasket set and most of them have seals included, they are good quality and last, I'll include a wrist pin bearing... that's the kit of your choosing, a gasket set, and the bearing.

Meteors are $149.99
HyWay's are $135.00
No-name's are $120

All are warrantied for 90 days against failure, return the cylinder, piston and rings and I'll send you another!
Meteor's and HyWays are ready to ship now! I'm traveling today to San Diego and then to Japan next week, might not be able to help you today, but I will as fast as possible.

Randy

I put a chinese p/c in my brothers 026 a couple months ago,NEVER AGAIN.I had to grind the bottom of the piston so it didn't hit the crank and I left out the base gasket and got a .041 squish.The skirt on the intake side was narrower that the exhaust side and the cylinder was chrome plated.I now have a paper weight and an OEM p/c on the way for him right now.You get what you pay for is a correct statement.

I put a chinese p/c in my brothers 026 a couple months ago,NEVER AGAIN.I had to grind the bottom of the piston so it didn't hit the crank and I left out the base gasket and got a .041 squish.The skirt on the intake side was narrower that the exhaust side and the cylinder was chrome plated.I now have a paper weight and an OEM p/c on the way for him right now.You get what you pay for is a correct statement.

woodyman,
I understand that you weren't happy with the purchase you made, but this AS Sponsor has already indicated that he will guarantee the kits he sells. If he doesn't keep his end of the bargain, he's just asking for a black eye here in a public forum. Give this man a chance!

Have you ckecked the squish bands and edges of the combustion chambers? The Husky pics in last kit look great. You've got some Stihl pics mixed in with them. The kit in the previous kit not so much.

Last edited:
woodyman,
I understand that you weren't happy with the purchase you made, but this AS Sponsor has already indicated that he will guarantee the kits he sells. If he doesn't keep his end of the bargain, he's just asking for a black eye here in a public forum. Give this man a chance!
When I need another p/c I will check him out,unless I can find used OEM cheap.

Last edited:
Most suppliers are buying grade B kits because there cheap and failure rate doesn't matter! Nobody is giving a warranty because there cheap and easy to send a new one.... And then only if you complain about defects. Most don't even take the failed part back, they say keep it. Nobody wants to stand behind them. These three kits are Grade A quality, not the junk weve been forced to buy. Thats the truth. Give feedback on a run of 10 million kits and even at a failure of 100,000 is 1%... There not changing anything.

Next we have an un-know and I'm not going to reveal who, but they are as equally as good! They are slightly cheaper and do have split rings with them and clips that are wire formed. This kit is good! Piston and cylinder are finished very nice, good chamfering, port shape and finish is spot on, so is the piston! This kit will be offered with a replacement set of Caber rings and yes, I'll cover you on this one as well, 90 days against failure if you use the Caber rings... and I will not budge on the rings, you order this kit, the rings are sent automatically! This is a 660 kit.

Don't you mean 046/460? I've never known the 660 to use 52mm rings. Also, that D-shaped combustion chamber is based on the old-school 046 jug.

Have you ckecked the squish bands and edges of the combustion chambers? The Husky pics in last kit look great. You've got some Stihl pics mixed in with them. The kit in the previous kit not so much.

Brad, these are the best three aftermarket kits on the market today! Even OEMs aren't perfect... But these are damn close! Both Randy and Jeremy have a HyWay kit and the no-names have been around here, but really never exposed. Actually, you may have even had one in your hands. I don't have them in front of me to feel it. I'm getting on a plane as I type this.

Last edited:
Back