Aftermarket Cylinder... good and bad... the Truth!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Think what you want to.

Your experiance with them is one thing, someone else's is there's.

I really don't think I'm being impracitical at all when I think they should not blow up in less then 2 tanks of fuel run through them.

What I am saying is that that is an anomaly and should not be used as an indictment on every after market kit and everybody who uses them.

What I am saying is that that is an anomaly and should not be used as an indictment on every after market kit and everybody who uses them.

I don't know where you got that impression where I said they were all junk. I never came out and said that point blank as far as I can remember.

I actually have a early Baileys 262xp kit on one of my saws and in fact I just came in from running it a bit ago.

I ran it quite a bit stock and never had a problem with it either. About a year ago when Super3 was over we tore it down so he could do a little porting on it and Mike went as far as praising the cyl that was on it.

My point is that there is no excuse for some of the junk thats out there now being sold. If some guys like to mod them and make em useable then fine, they should be sold with a disclaimer as being semi finished and need work to make em survive.

I disagree. At near $300 for a Stihl OEM 441 P/C it damn well should be a bolt and go. So far the one and only that I have done is.

I wouldn't put one on without checking squish, ring gap, and I always do a little clean up.

I certainly would expect to have to do less for $300, but I'd also be damn sure to be thorough!

Trust and verify!

I wouldn't put one on without checking squish, ring gap, and I always do a little clean up.

I certainly would expect to have to do less for $300, but I'd also be damn sure to be thorough!

Trust and verify!
K
It's a good practice to check things like that, but I don't expect to do anything to them at all, and you shouldn't have to either. OEM or aftermarket. If you find something wrong return it before its installed.

Something to remember is that with most outfits as soon as you touch/modify it, you now own it and any hope of warranty is out the window if something goes wrong with it.

what happened

.......and someone else should follow your example!!!:msp_angry:

I, too wonder what you did with the coon we know. But I like the change.

lps

sorry I left out the ah as in ahahahah

Last edited:
I bought one of these kits from HLSupply

it was a MS361big bore kit! first off it would not fit right the piston skirt would not work in its present configuration followed the lead from here on the forum and adjusted the piston to fit the crankcase and then the bottom of the boss would not clear the crankshaft so I smoothed it out a little as well put it together and it seemed to run fine well at least one tank of fuel then the thing quit running upon disassembly found the piston retaining pin that holds the rings in a fixed position backed out and gouge the cylinder and smeared the piston up! so do you warranty these types of issues

it is only 1 week old!

You can not go wrong with a kit like this... except they really aren't available... UNTIL NOW! And I'll give you a 90 day warranty against failure. I have them now and only in certain common sizes like 044/440, 460, 066, 372.

it was a MS361big bore kit! first off it would not fit right the piston skirt would not work in its present configuration followed the lead from here on the forum and adjusted the piston to fit the crankcase and then the bottom of the boss would not clear the crankshaft so I smoothed it out a little as well put it together and it seemed to run fine well at least one tank of fuel then the thing quit running upon disassembly found the piston retaining pin that holds the rings in a fixed position backed out and gouge the cylinder and smeared the piston up! so do you warranty these types of issues

it is only 1 week old!

Randy will only give you a warranty if you use some full stops in your posts :)

Is he asking Randy to warranty a kit he bought from hlsupply? :confused:

He specifically asked if Randy warranties those types of issues, not someone else's kit.

FWIW, I also bought a 361BB kit from the same source and returned it due to horrible quality...worst AM quality I've ever seen. (There may even be pics of it somewhere in this thread.) Sounds like they may have turned around and sold it again!

Last edited:
He specifically asked if Randy warranties those types of issues, not someone else's kit.

FWIW, I also bought a 361BB kit from the same source and returned it due to horrible quality...worst AM quality I've ever seen. (There may even be pics of it somewhere in this thread.) Sounds like they may have turned around and sold it again!

In the title to his post he specifically says he bought the kit from hlsupply. Then he goes on to ask about warranty on a kit that didn't fit right from the start and he then modified in an effort to make it work.

Seems that his first course of action should have been getting in touch with hlsupply, rather than joining here to ask if he could get a vendor to warranty something he didn't sell in the first place?

In the title to his post he specifically says he bought the kit from hlsupply. Then he goes on to ask about warranty on a kit that didn't fit right from the start and he then modified in an effort to make it work.

Seems that his first course of action should have been getting in touch with hlsupply, rather than joining here to ask if he could get a vendor to warranty something he didn't sell in the first place?

I read his post. My take was that he was asking if Randy would honor a warranty on the same issues he was having with the HL kit, presumably as consideration toward purchasing a better quality kit from Randy, not asking Randy to provide warranty service on someone else's kit. That would be absurd...with or without punctuation!

That stated, I personally wouldn't honor a warranty on a kit that was admittedly modified when simply returning it for an exchange or refund would have been easier (and more sensible) in the first place.

But I digress...

As you were.

:cheers:

I just burped some Central VA raccoon.......it is just as tasty today as it was yesterday.

Top that #####es. :msp_thumbup:

Well I have one question that I need an answer for about an am 039 am p/c kit. I will be sending back my second kit from nws that has low compression 115 at best with two tanks of fuel through it. I gave them a second chance and not again. I need a cylinder that is nik bore and a decent piston. I was leaning towards one of the hyway's from watsonr. That looks like the only nik kit I can find, Anyone used a 039, any pics of it, it would be awful nice to get a cylinder that gives my at least 150psi to start with. I dont want to tear this thing down again.

it is only 1 week old!

Did you call them? I still ain't figured out why you guys keep buying kits that don't get some kind of warranty or from someone who doesn't stand behind their stuff??

The piston pin came out... sounds like a failure to me. I warranty against failure, piston pin, rings, cylinder plating, cir-clip, piston and cylinder. If you use due care in putting the saw back together and it fails, I replace the kit.

What kind of kit was it? And stay away from BB kits for that saw, buy the Tecomec kit for a 361 in 47mm, great kit!

Latest posts

Back