Aftermarket Cylinder... good and bad... the Truth!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe I will just have to deal with the fact that I prob wont get one that will that will be like an oe, cause I sure wont go spend more for a cylinder that a saw is worth. I agree I have put many cords up with this saw and Its like a pair of old comfy boots, just can't bring myself to get a new pair, I am just looking to get it back to where it was before and just maybe a touch better. If not well then at least the nik should last longer than a chromey cylinder

Now im kinda stuck, is it even worth tearing it down again or run it like it is. What do ya think?

Now im kinda stuck, is it even worth tearing it down again or run it like it is. What do ya think?

Since you asked...

Try a different tach and compression gauge as a comparison before getting too much more frustrated or bent outta shape about a basically ultra-economical solution to what may or may not actually even be presenting a problem..., or the cause of it. And with all due respect, running a stock 029 at 13,500 for all that time with no issues probably means it wasn't running at 13,500 in the first place, so...., just sayin'.

But there's always OEM... if ya wanna make it right ...(ahem).

Whatever way you end up going with it, good luck.

:cheers:

Last edited:
Some saws, a 3400/3700 poulan off the top of my head, only run 130 psi stock and are very strong saws.

Just something to think about.

I had no problem getting a refund from the vendor, though I didn't install the kit, let alone modify it prior to installing it. I'd be surprised if they issue a refund in your case, but ya never know...

I'm also surprised they are still selling that kit since they told me the one I bought was the last one on the shelf and it was highly unlikely they would be re-stocking due to the poor and inconsistent casting quality.

They were honest and forthright about the matter, but ya get what ya pay for...and that includes the vendors who sell such cut-rate merchandise...which is exactly what this particular kit was in my case.

Stihl MS361 big bore cylinder piston assembly 49mm
Our Price: $109.99
Includes: cylinder, piston, rings, wrist pin, cir clips
Replaces OEM part 1135 020 1202
High quality nikasil plated
For Stihl MS361 chainsaw
49mm bore

Did not seem to cheap to me but then again on fleabay I could have got one for less if I wanted to wait for ever with china post If the Tecomec kit is better it is worth the extra cost.

Our Price: $109.99
Includes: cylinder, piston, rings, wrist pin, cir clips
Replaces OEM part 1135 020 1202
High quality nikasil plated
For Stihl MS361 chainsaw
49mm bore

Did not seem to cheap to me but then again on fleabay I could have got one for less if I wanted to wait for ever with china post If the Tecomec kit is better it is worth the extra cost.

Only you can decide if its worth the extra cost. Compared to OEM, its a savings either way... save some or save a bunch. I've found that most of the Chinese kits aren't that bad, some not so nice and you may need to wade thru one or two until you get a good one. Pistons are OK, rings are junk and so are the clips in most

OR

A Tecomec with great piston and rings and a warranty... worth it?

Been lots of talk lately of aftermarket parts, specifically cylinders and pistons and honestly some pretty bad pictures of junk! We all see posts of failed stuff and hear some of great experiences. Since joining this site years ago, like most you for some advise, I realized that the market didn't hold much promise of good quality aftermarket stuff until here lately. I was presented an opportunity to become a sponsor and sell some chainsaw parts. Like you, tired of being raked over the coals for parts cost and I started really digging.

You all can recall the recent exchanges between members here about the Meteor cylinder kit that I sent to Brad Snelling for a test run.... and after heated discussion and a little persuasion, the test revealed that they are much improved! Not perfect but very much improved in the last several years. Plug and play for most, always modified by a builder!

Today, I'm going to show you some pictures and tell you what I've found. I said in an earlier post several months ago that I want to make a difference and believe I can! Serious discussions have occurred, a lot of digging thru the BS to find the real answer and what really happens. Most know that these pistons and cylinders are only made in a couple manufacturing plants. Most re-brand the parts, box them up and send them out as there own.... even thought they are made in the same factory to the same spec! You need to know that quality in some are horrible and pretty darn good in others and it's really about the grade of that quality that is presented to you in the reflection of the price...PERIOD! Pay for lesser quality (grade B or C) and receive a lower grade of junk.... some will say. Buy grade A, pay a premium price.

You may even ask your supplier to reveal his supplier and most will not! They are afraid of someone closing the deal and being cut out of the line and rightfully so, here we go!

Meteor pistons and cylinders are considered the #1 aftermarket product and are sold at premium prices. They include Caber rings and are an extremely good quality cast iron ring. Just about any of the cast iron rings will perform well and I wouldn't sweat anything using any brand of cast ring. No need for pictures of Meteor products, they stand by themselves and pictures are everywhere. Here's what nobody will do... warranty them against failure.

This is a cylinder made in a factory far far away and is knocking on the door of Meteor, actually may have them already! The kit is extremely good, ports are the right shape, smooth castings and chamfered to prevent catching a ring. Pistons are really nice, perfectly shaped and like the others are plug and play. Nikasil coating is taking over, lower grade cylinders are still using chrome, everybody is heading to Nikasil. This first kit is made by HyWay and it's NICE! And it's on it's way to Randy for installation on a Husky 385. Clips are not that great, rings are cast.
IMAG1446.jpg

IMAG1451.jpg

IMAG1452.jpg

IMAG1448.jpg

IMAG1449.jpg

IMAG1447.jpg

You can not go wrong with a kit like this... except they really aren't available... UNTIL NOW! And I'll give you a 90 day warranty against failure. I have them now and only in certain common sizes like 044/440, 460, 066, 372.

Been lots of talk lately of aftermarket parts, specifically cylinders and pistons and honestly some pretty bad pictures of junk! We all see posts of failed stuff and hear some of great experiences. Since joining this site years ago, like most you for some advise, I realized that the market didn't hold much promise of good quality aftermarket stuff until here lately. I was presented an opportunity to become a sponsor and sell some chainsaw parts. Like you, tired of being raked over the coals for parts cost and I started really digging.

You all can recall the recent exchanges between members here about the Meteor cylinder kit that I sent to Brad Snelling for a test run.... and after heated discussion and a little persuasion, the test revealed that they are much improved! Not perfect but very much improved in the last several years. Plug and play for most, always modified by a builder!

Today, I'm going to show you some pictures and tell you what I've found. I said in an earlier post several months ago that I want to make a difference and believe I can! Serious discussions have occurred, a lot of digging thru the BS to find the real answer and what really happens. Most know that these pistons and cylinders are only made in a couple manufacturing plants. Most re-brand the parts, box them up and send them out as there own.... even thought they are made in the same factory to the same spec! You need to know that quality in some are horrible and pretty darn good in others and it's really about the grade of that quality that is presented to you in the reflection of the price...PERIOD! Pay for lesser quality (grade B or C) and receive a lower grade of junk.... some will say. Buy grade A, pay a premium price.

You may even ask your supplier to reveal his supplier and most will not! They are afraid of someone closing the deal and being cut out of the line and rightfully so, here we go!

Meteor pistons and cylinders are considered the #1 aftermarket product and are sold at premium prices. They include Caber rings and are an extremely good quality cast iron ring. Just about any of the cast iron rings will perform well and I wouldn't sweat anything using any brand of cast ring. No need for pictures of Meteor products, they stand by themselves and pictures are everywhere. Here's what nobody will do... warranty them against failure.

This is a cylinder made in a factory far far away and is knocking on the door of Meteor, actually may have them already! The kit is extremely good, ports are the right shape, smooth castings and chamfered to prevent catching a ring. Pistons are really nice, perfectly shaped and like the others are plug and play. Nikasil coating is taking over, lower grade cylinders are still using chrome, everybody is heading to Nikasil. This first kit is made by HyWay and it's NICE! And it's on it's way to Randy for installation on a Husky 385. Clips are not that great, rings are cast.
IMAG1446.jpg

IMAG1451.jpg

IMAG1452.jpg

IMAG1448.jpg

IMAG1449.jpg

IMAG1447.jpg

You can not go wrong with a kit like this... except they really aren't available... UNTIL NOW! And I'll give you a 90 day warranty against failure. I have them now and only in certain common sizes like 044/440, 460, 066, 372.

I new to this site and I'm in the process of working on a cylinder swap on 034 and I got after market cylinder. Its doesn't look like your post pictures...wish it did. Its a coated cylinder which I've cleaned up looks a lot better now. Sounds like I bought the wrong one from reading your post but what is your experience with these cylinder how long will they ran. What are the risk I'll break/ ruin the lower end if this blows up. This is older post so...OEM cylinder from my local shop is $320 and he's say the oem is a chrome line cylinder and the coated cylinder won't run 10mins. What 48mm cylinder do you recommend for 034 and do you still warranty your cylinders?

Watsonr hasnt been around since 2016 so I doubt he will answer your question. I have dabbled with a few AM kits and found they vary from OEM specs a lot. Mostly in cyl height from base to top of squish bands, equaling low compression. Also have found transfer location to be off as much as the squish height. this makes the timing off. I suspect that the people making these kits are not milling the bases to the same specs as OEM. I have also compared pistons to oem and found some slight differences in pin location. 2 0r 3 thousands here and there equates to a rebuilt saw with less than optimal performance. They run, but can really benefit from a little more machine work.

Old thread, new post. I'm dabbling in some of the AM P+C assemblies just to get an idea of the quality. Since Husqvarna substantially dropped the price of their assemblies, I mostly look at AM for Stihl. No more than they cost, really no big deal even if they end up in the hopper. Meteor for the most part is still good IMO. I got an NWP 49mm assembly for MS 361 with Caber rings from Wolf Creek Saw Shop for around $110-$120 seems like. This P+C assembly seems pretty good to me. Plating is good and has a good hone cross hatch that rival some OEM top ends I've used. There are only two drawbacks I've found, and they aren't significant to me. Of the three sets I've had, piston skirt/wall clearance is not real consistent, but not bad. From memory I think .0023, .0025.0028. The other thing is the piston skirt sides are just a bit jagged. Too minor to correct with a rotary tool. I used a small, fine flat file and they cleaned up nicely.
Squish bands are off a bit. Seems they all were about .010-.012" deep from side wall. I've had numerous OEM bands in this range. I was able to assemble each one with a full delete. .020-.021-.021. Compression after assembly lube burn off ranged from 210psi to a bit less than 220 psi.
One saw I ran about 15 fuel loads. Fat for the first 5-6 loads, then set max no load at 14,200. Four stroked easily. The saw starts and restarts easily. Idles good. Has good throttle response. Compared to my stock 361 with .021" squish and both saws with ported mufflers, they seemed about equal. Thought the NWP may have a touch more Torque. After 15 fuel loads I pulled the cylinder to look for abnormalities. Everything looks good. Rings appear to have even wear, and I would guess they are pretty well run in. I did notice in the cylinder around all the ports, a very slight shiney area. Would lead me to think they are a bit high, but all the ports were chamfered well and uniformally. Doesn't show negetivley in the 210 psi compression reading or on the ring surface. Ring land clearance was about .0022.
I'm making this entry only because this top end seems to be pretty good. All the ports were clean and needed no attention. So I have good start and restart. Good idle. Good acceleration. Power seems to be there. I'm a firewood cutter, so if I can get 30-40 hours on the saw this year, I'll know a bit more about longevity. I'm a hobbyist. Not a pro like many on this website. I'm looking for bolt on parts that don't require machine work to assemble or to perform reasonably well. So far, this seems like a very good P+C assembly. For someone that wants an alternative to OEM with good performance characteristics, I recommend this set up. Just my humble oppinion.

IMAG1446.jpg

IMAG1451.jpg

IMAG1452.jpg

IMAG1448.jpg

IMAG1449.jpg

IMAG1447.jpg

Hyway cylinders are not good. The plating looks nice but it is the adhesion part which is weak in their cylinder. The plating came off the combustion chamber of one destroyed engine/372
Its a crap shoot and trial and error pulse time/money finding good am parts

Seems I was subscribed to this old thread so I will make a comment. It is very rare that you can't save the cylinder. Usually because something actually breaks. Otherwise, cleaning up the cylinder and putting an OEM or Meteor piston in works fine.
I did buy a Meteor top end a few weeks ago, can't remember for which particular saw. But, it was very nice. Well finished and good power.
Other than that, it really has to be a junker for me to use any other aftermarket top end.

Last one, another great kit!!!
IMAG1417.jpg

IMAG1415.jpg

IMAG1421.jpg

IMAG1424.jpg

IMAG1419.jpg

Alright. A bunch of digging, a handful of really nice aftermarket kits and products with a warranty. You asked for good quality, someone is listening! I'm going to go one further than anybody that sells here.....

I'm giving a 90 day warranty on any Meteor kit I sell. The warranty is against failure, if it fails in 90 days, I'll send you a new kit. You present your invoice and failed part, I'll send you a new kit.

I'll do that same thing on any HyWay kit and any of the un-named kits I described and showed pictures of. You have to give me a few days to get the un-named kits in stock. I have HyWay kits and Meteor kits now, but not in every size. I'll try to get every size of whatever kit they offer and every kit will be inspected for quality before shipping.... every kit will have a good cast iron ring and if I don't think the rings are good, you get Cabers with them. I'll throw in a gasket set and most of them have seals included, they are good quality and last, I'll include a wrist pin bearing... that's the kit of your choosing, a gasket set, and the bearing.

Meteors are $149.99
HyWay's are $135.00
No-name's are $120

All are warrantied for 90 days against failure, return the cylinder, piston and rings and I'll send you another!
Meteor's and HyWays are ready to ship now! I'm traveling today to San Diego and then to Japan next week, might not be able to help you today, but I will as fast as possible.

Randy
Hi Randy, I'm brand new to this blog. I blew piston and cylinder of a stihl TS 420 concrete saw that I had borrowed from a friend. Looked online for rebuild kits and am very suspicious about the $65 CAD ones I found there. After reading your posts, I understand that you've done your research over a long period of time. Do you have a rebuild kit for the TS 420? How can I contact you to arrange delivery and payment?
Stuart

Hi Randy, I'm brand new to this blog. I blew piston and cylinder of a stihl TS 420 concrete saw that I had borrowed from a friend. Looked online for rebuild kits and am very suspicious about the $65 CAD ones I found there. After reading your posts, I understand that you've done your research over a long period of time. Do you have a rebuild kit for the TS 420? How can I contact you to arrange delivery and payment?
Stuart
Last time he was on this site was back in May of 2016, I seriously doubt he will answer your question.

I wonder what happened with that guy? He had a website to sell his foreign wares at one time. I have no idea what it was now..
As far as I know he just dropped out of site no real reason I know of concerning this site even though not everyone replying to his threads were 100% in favor of his products.

To the 1 poster if he comes back. Was the saw half in the grave and half on a banana peel ?
Was it like new ? Did you straight gas it ?
It matters. If it was a good saw and you did something wrong you should bite the bullet and take it to a dealer and have it rebuilt.
If you and the owner think it was going to go regardless of who was using it you should agree on how you want to fix it and share the cost proportionately.

Back