Age limits on climbing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm 36. Made a promise to myself years ago that I'd be done climbing by the time I was 35. Well, perhaps a few more years, as long as the body holds out. I sure do love being in the trees, just don't like the aches and pains afterwards!

LOL Brian, I'm 32 and I dont think a tree climbing experience has ever gone by that didnt have its aches and pains!:blob2:

This thread pops up every now and tehn, no?

I'm 37 in a few more days. I had a guy who did stumps for me a few 'bout six years ago. He was still working with the crew at 72. "You still climb!?!" sez I. "Hey, sometimes ya gotta get outa the bucket." he laughingly replys.

Don Scheckler, haven't heard anything about him sicne I pissed him off getting more help with stumps.

Dammn John, you are getting old arent you
:bday: Because i wont remember on your B/D:D

I turned 48 in January and climb regularly. I want to be able to climb until I turn into tree food. With the rate of advancements in climbing, that is a more real expectation than in the not too distant past. About 15 years ago I could not imagine climbing at the level I do today with the comfort and minimal aches and pains. I get more achy on days that I spend behind the wheel chasing around town doing estimates.

Tom

I am 43 and mostly loving how climbing keeps me fit. I am with Tom I think it actually getting easier.......although some days it can be tough especially on those big rigging jobs!

Here's a good one;

Nine years ago, medical science ravaged me. High-dose experimental chemo, total body radiation (X6), pokes, cuts, probes, removals, etc. etc.

I was a ninety yr old when I left that hospital. Five years later, just as I was getting back into the trees, a blind (legally) driver pulled his pick-up out onto the highway directly in my 70-mph path, I had no options other than aim for his bed - - boom. Again, medical science had me captive. Poke, probe, replace, and removals all over again. Should've worn my seatbelt, maybe it wouldn't have hurt so much.

Today, if I don't climb, I'll fold-up and wither away. All my bones are dissolving, have to have something to keep me rigid - and that's muscle. Keep fit, drink beer if necessary, but don't go over four days without something to climb, even if for free. Trust me, I'm up there with Tom in years.

Dad's 92, I had to tell my mom when she called all freaked-out that he's okay up there - up 60 feet in a pine behind their house with a swede saw in one hand, a limb in the other.

oakwilt, sobering stories of your recent travails. Inspiring about your dad and yourself!! Thanks.

I'm 52, and still climb and drag brush better than most young whippersnappers. Goal is to keep climbing and skiing off cliffs into deep pow into another life!!

Healthy living is the key- diet, exercise, positive mental attitude. Working with the oldest, largest living things on earth makes it easy to have that PMA, even if all you do for a week is prune apple trees!!

Had a guy call for work recently, he wants a new, better trade than welding. I told him he couldn't make a better choice. hope to be able to use him, bet his learning curve will be steep, as he a 5.12 rock climber, and has done the two hardest (only?) big wall climbs in Wa. Plus major stuff in Yosemite.

My inspiration is Bob York, still climbing, learning and improving at age 68. He started felling timber 50 years ago, climbing not long thereafter. Knew him when i was a greenhorn and he was the hotshot. Hadn't seen him for 20 years, we met, I started showing him all the new school climbing and pruning skills, now he is studying to be certified!! He does everything with a passion, including jogging and working out (often after a work day!!) to keep his 31.4 inch waist!! Plus he has caught 5 steelhead over 30 pounds-on a fly!! No one else in the world has caught more than one, supposedly.

Climbing makes me feel great, its the draging that kicks my crippled butt, still do it though. I donot load logs anymore either.

I joke around that those Marine years are like dog years and I'm relativistcly older then my Dad

37-8.5=28.5

8.5*7=59.5

59.5+28.5=88 years old

I'm 19 now, been climbing since I was 15. I wanna keep doin this for as long as I can. Maybe not every day, but I want to be able to climb for as long as my body allows me to. I have heard of, and met 70 + year old guys who still climb pretty darn well.

I'm 35 and wish I could climb more! Haven't been in a tree in about a 3 or 4 weeks:( I need it to get back in shape, never thought I'd have to say that. We've been doing a bunch of landscaping lately which is good excersize but without the adrenaline rush! Last year I took it way too easy and let the guys do most of the work, this year will be different...........

I'm 44, still do most of the heavy rigging for my company. Have to keep my weight down, exercise. But can still footlock almost as fast as my best times 15 years ago. (on a good day, which comes about every other day.)

A guy from back in central Jersey by the name of (I'm butchering the spelling) Nescherette climbed well into his 60's, after having colon cancer. My first boss saw him about that time, yelled something like "what the hell are you doing up in that tree, old man?" (He was 50 feet up, climbing with a colostomy bag). He defiantly yelled down that they'll have to drag him down to stop him. :angry:

At 55 in a couple of months, I am still going strong. One of my instructors with Davey in 1967 was 76 and still ornery ( a little crippled from dropping 70 from a tree in the 40's when he cut his rope. Said that did not hurt as bad as the chain saw bouncing off his chest, a super lightweight I'm sure.) Entered a TCC at 48 and took 3rd out of 20 up in Weyburn Sask. Still teach classes in climbing each fall and still climb for fun. It keeps you young!!!

Bob Underwood

ps Still want to climb the Underwood Redwood in Calif. someday. Its only 297'.

The reason 49 year old fogies like me climb trees is to stave off senility by emphasizing virility. Money may have something to do with it. Its a way of confirming our sense of self-worth. An ego game, really. A tree is about as phallic a symbol as there is. Isn't getting up a tree almost as good as 'getting it up'? Almost.

Fisherman do it. Hunters tell about that great rack. Con men have their big score. That euc man down at the Corral Tavern assuring everyone that he did pick up 3 babes in one night seemed about to bust. We don't need no stinkin' Viagara!

Don't worry, boys. There will come a day when we too, will be sitting down at the counter at Denny's, drinking coffee.

Arboreally yours,

http://hometown.aol.com/michaeloxman/myhomepage/profile.html

Oh yuck! Mike! Now I got a picture of you climbing a giant phallus EEWWWWWW grosss.:eek:

Why could it not have been a climbing INTO something anology:D

Hey Bob, your goin on 55? Wow i woulda though it was 65!

I wount shave cuz people refuse to believe I am what I am even with the shaggy stash and scruffy goat.

Babyfasce, I got the .......:blob2:

Well there's your answer to what happens to old tree climbers! They turn into dirty old tree climbers.

Now I have a vision of Mike spurring up a ..... Oh never mind!

Steve

sadistic dirty old tree climber.

I was born in 1968,been climbing for 25yrs.The only reason I think my dad started our biz was because he was a natural climber.He is the most fearless man I know and at 60yrs. old he is a pine trees worst nightmare.My dad is an old hippie and loves the natural way of life,and claims that hard work for a few hours a day is the key to good health.I am lucky to have had such a wonderful teacher.He is also the reason I play music. " ROCK-AND-ROLL" dad.

Back