Age limits on climbing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Closer to God

Originally posted by TreeCo
I started climbing when I was 30. I still climb and love it. I never have liked big removals on spikes and have avoided them as much as possible. I love rope climbing, deadwooding and pruning. I think climbing is a great way to stay in shape.

The view of the world from high in a tree.....feeling and watching the tree beneath you bend and sway in the breeze.....might be as close to god as I get.

Dan Nelson
Atlanta GA
age 45

I was climbing a big cypress with a broken wind bown canopy,a cold wind was blowing and the nerves and the cold got me praying..and I consoled my self by thinking that as I climbed I was getting closer to God.....then I realised...how silly....we dont have to do anything to get closer to meeting God...every breath we take moves us closer....

I was treeboating on Saturday night in the Wisconsin Dells. My boat sat between a construction damaged basswood and a storm-damaged American elm... it took me two hours to rationalize to myself that I would survive. To fall asleep, I literally prayed myself to sleep. :) The grade around the basswood was raised on the uphill side a couple inches, so it wasn't too serious, and the elm was damaged about 12 feet above where I was tied in, but it still concerned me. I knew where I would go if I died, praise the Lord.

I'm 19 and would like to keep climbing and treeboating for years to come, so I won't go in spots like that any more...it wasn't a good idea. From now on, though, I would like to treeboat at least once a night every month for as long as possible, perhaps life! :cool:

Nickrosis

In LOVE with trees, literally???!!

In light of the above tone of this thread, everyone needs to go to the rec "treeclimbing." board, and read the three rather amazing posts about tree love. You will get an incredible laugh, and wonder if these folks are to be taken literally. We're not supposed to post links to other boards here, hint it is a non profit one, sponsored by peter Jenkins.

You didn't seriously compare me to those people, did you? I hope not.... I enjoy trees, but I was telling some people over spring break that I just don't have the "passion" others will talk about.

Peter is a good guy has his own tree company, He is a true tree nut I am involved with GAA he is helping us do some public education. At a local park that has several former champion trees.

I'm 40 this November, and been in the industry for about 5 years. Before that I had desk jobs in manufacturing industry (what's left of it over here). I really wish I'd found this job 10 years ago sometimes. I feel things are getting easier. When I first started, I used to use so much energy getting nowhere. My ropes were always tangled, I seemed to be putting out max. effort every minute of the day, and ended up knackered by dinnertime. Experience is a wonderful thing..! Being self employed helps, because I can go at the speed I want, and do the job the way I want.

It also amazes me how much the job has changed, even in the last 5 years. There are so many bright ideas out there to save energy and make the job safer. When I was training, noone had heard of a redirect. We learned to climb on that old 3strand nylon - try anchoring at the top of a 50' tree, coming down, then body thrusting all the way back up again. That's what used to do me in!

I have a buddy who is mid fourties, he left a corigated box factory he was working machines in for over 20 years. Did that 3 years ago to jump feet first into his own tree company!

He has a very understanding wife!!

Latest posts

Back