ArboristSite.com Sponsors
Traverse Creek Inc

Air compressor death

FlyingDutchman

FlyingDutchman

Row Seatin'
Last night thought I had an electrical issue.

Cleaning up to weld a skid steer bucket, I smoked my good Dewalt grinder, and trying to blow rust out of a seam between the sheet metal and the cutting edge, smoked my dad's 30 gallon Craftsman air compressor he lent me. Went out and got my old ChargeAir air compressor. Smoked that too. Moving stuff around in the garage to figure out if I had an electrical problem, I found a puddle of oil under my Torin Big Red 3 ton floor jack. Now it's a paperweight.

Brother in law is a master electrician, came over and checked everything. Found that the house wiring was ok.

At this point I'm needing an air compressor. A friend had the compressor part go out on a Craftsman nearly identical to dad's, so I can try his motor and use my compressor assembly. That may be putting a band aid on another problem. The circuit in the garage is only on a 20 amp breaker and 12 gauge wire. The voltage drop is within spec but on the low side for a 15 amp load that the compressor has and may have contributed to it's death. My brother in law suggested I get a smaller compressor or put in a 240v outlet. Putting that outlet where the compressor sits now would be super tough.

The way my garage is set up, its below the house, and next to the basement. It would be nice to put the compressor on the other side of the wall in the basement which is right by the electrical box. Plenty of room. The basement stairs are open. So if it ran, it would be heard through the house. And compressors are noisy.

Now they make quiet compressors. Many of them are made in China, including this one, almost impossible to avoid at this point but I'd spend more for US made if I could find it. I'm looking at this compressor unit to put on the old 30 gallon tank.

I really liked the 150 psi cutoff on dad's compressor, it probably doesn't have to be that high again but it was nice for using air impacts. The quiet ones generally don't go that high only 120-125 psi and won't start up under pressure, so they have an extra component to go bad, a dump solenoid that relieves the pressure on the pump heads once pressure is reached, and closes once the pumps are up to speed.
Also this motor I picked out is also quite a bit behind on performance vs the old Craftsman one. Which is 8.6 cfm @ 40psi vs the California Air Tools at 6.4 cfm @ 40 psi.

Looking for thoughts on the subject!

unclemoustache

unclemoustache

My 'stache is bigger than yours.
BC WetCoast

BC WetCoast

Addicted to ArboristSite
Does anyone know where i can get just a tank online. My 20gal speedair has a pin hole. Most of the people i follow and trust online say not to repair. I tried jb weld but it didnt hold.

Jersey Bob

Jersey Bob

ArboristSite Operative
Does anyone know where i can get just a tank online. My 20gal speedair has a pin hole. Most of the people i follow and trust online say not to repair. I tried jb weld but it didnt hold.
[/QUOTE
Not trying to be a wiseacre, but did you try googling it?
Plenty of places sell replacement parts.

I’m with Josh on the California Air Tools compressor.
We had one in the lab at work. When it was running with the door closed you could barely hear it in the library like office.
We needed to upgrade to one with an air dryer, it’s in a cabinet and is even quieter.
I borrowed the first to do a home project, had it running in the basement and the wife didn’t need to turn up the tv in the room right above where the compressor was.

Dutchman,

How much would it cost upgrade to 220 compared to the California Air Tool?
I believe you can get CAT through Lowe’s.

ray benson

ray benson

Tree Freak
Oiless compressors for cold environment, but noisy. Oiled compressors for warmer environments, and they are quieter.
Oil filled compressors like synthetic oil in an unheated garage in the winter. I have used these 2 oils for over 30 years in my 20 gal. 2hp Ingersoll Rand compressor. Just change it every 5 or 6 years.
https://www.amsoil.com/p/synthetic-compressor-oil--iso-100-sae-30-40-pck/
https://www.menards.com/main/tools/...0-c-12917.htm?tid=-8272930917283932225&ipos=2

cookies

cookies

ArboristSite Operative
dewalt makes a line of compressors that shut off at 218 psi and yes they are loud but are under 500 bucks and portable(ish) from 10 gallons to i think 20 gallons, your outlet is very likely killing your tools. I highly suggest running a new 110 line of 10 gage on a 30 amp breaker and use a 20 amp industrial outlet. Most of the stuff used to do metal work and auto repair that runs off 110 needs more than the 15-20 amps they claim on the sticker specifically when you load them up . I moved away from air impacts to Milwaukee brand impacts and im much happier now not dragging the compressor and hoses out unless I need the air hammer or filling tires. When it comes to air you always need one that can not only reach higher psi but also a pump that has a high volume with low recovery time.

blades

blades

Addicted to ArboristSite
90 psi is mostly the spot for air tools, it's the cfm and small tanks. that wipe out units.

blades

blades

Addicted to ArboristSite
i am not a fan of the oiless types, they generally do not last long under any kind of moderate use. I have 2 quincy units (7cfm, 15cfm) and a 55cfm Westinghouse 2 stage in my shop. got them used off cl. 3 repairs in 20+ years- a worn out /died of old age Oring , a back pressure top hat Oring deal in the 15cfm ( I made the top hat in the shop Oring was$1 ( again old age), and a loose flywheel ( which sounded like crankshaft bearing or connecting rod failure). I have less than $1500 in these units and that includes the 3 service calls ( those are not cheap- right up there with auto dealers). 60/80/120 gallon tanks.

FlyingDutchman

FlyingDutchman

Row Seatin'
I'd like to find an oil type with a motor that has say, a 10 amp load to work in the garage okay (its a heated garage) without messing with the wiring. Also, I'm hoping the oil type is quiet enough to not care about the longer cycle times for an inferior performing unit. The old compressor is in a well insulated garage and can be heard outside at the mailbox 100 yards away.

OR I want a quiet one that uses 220v and is put inside the basement.

A friend lost his ass on his invention (that requires compressed air) when his California Air Tools compressor went bad during as demo to his investors. They even had the nerve to not stand behind any sort of warranty. So California Air Tools are OUT big time. I've been helping them scrape by for years because they can barely afford to live because of the patent costs until they can get more investors. He didn't know what compressor I should get but he sure did tell me what compressor NOT to get.

blades

blades

Addicted to ArboristSite
all depends on your wallet. A low speed Quincy is relatively quiet but pricy new. Design of the air intake filter makes a différance also. The one i have you can stand next it and carry on a conversation in pretty much normal voice range. I got it used, some 15 years ago ( $400) it has been running pretty much 24/7 since then. I do not know the actual age of it. model 325, 2 stage. Now days this is a $3000 compressor new. Rpm range 400-900 cfm out put 8.3-18. It is running on an 80 gallon horizontal tank

eric_271

eric_271

ArboristSite King
I’ve built 2 compressors and used propane tanks. Lots thicker than air tanks. Look, you can find them in all sizes used and reasonable.

eric_271

eric_271

ArboristSite King
all depends on your wallet. A low speed Quincy is relatively quiet but pricy new. Design of the air intake filter makes a différance also. The one i have you can stand next it and carry on a conversation in pretty much normal voice range. I got it used, some 15 years ago ( $400) it has been running pretty much 24/7 since then. I do not know the actual age of it. model 325, 2 stage. Now days this is a $3000 compressor new. Rpm range 400-900 cfm out put 8.3-18. It is running on an 80 gallon horizontal tank
I bought a 325 at a swap meet about 25 years ago. Rebuilt it top to bottom. Definitely not a throw away pump. I bought a 7 hp single phase motor out of a scrap pile for $50. I got lucky there. I could see the starting capacitors and running capacitors were burnt. The new capacitors were $25. It’s run like a champ ever since. Both went on a 150 gallon propane tank.

cookies

cookies

ArboristSite Operative
look at the hitachi wheelbarrow compressors...gas powered w/honda motor..125psi and built for continuous use...runs about a grand..I think they have a elec version. their recovery rate is very fast with idle kickdown. You will not find a elec 110v @10a that will run much more than a brad nailer so go 220 if given the chance..look up champ and speed air, most will be loud with our without oil bath. Quiet compressors are 2x as costly

muddstopper

muddstopper

Addicted to ArboristSite
I have a 80gal SpeedAir. 17.1cfm @ 175psi rating. I dont need that much compressor, but it came with the new house and garage. It is outside the shop and you dont hear much more than thump thump thump when running. I moved it from the side to the back side of the shop and dont have it currently hooked up. I am using my 5hp husky 10gal I have used for years when I need air. I will eventually move the smaller husky to my small shed and replumb the big compressor in the shop. I have already bought the air lines and electrical wire, just aint needed it and too lazy to be proactive

FlyingDutchman

FlyingDutchman

Row Seatin'
An update on this.

The combo of my old compressor and my friends old compressor I was able to use the following mixture of parts
my cylinder sleeve, piston seal and head
My buddys motor, crank/piston rod and compressor frame. His piston seal, the reed valves in the head, and sleeve were shot.
I ran a cylinder hone through my cylinder sleeve and reused all the old parts from my compressor on his motor/frame . A rebuild kit is around $40 with a new cylinder, seals etc, but I figured I'd give this a shot. I don't feel like it builds pressure as fast as it did before I messed with it but it's working again now for basically free.