ArboristSite.com Sponsors
Traverse Creek Inc

Air fryers

Philbert

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
I normally place a frozen hot dog, wrapped in a piece of paper towel in the microwave for 1 minute: quick, fast, easy.
Tried it today in the air-fryer - was surprised that after several minutes on 'high', the center was still frozen! It did have more of a 'grilled' taste when done, but took a lot longer. Might have to zap it first, for 30 seconds or so, then 'grill it in the AF.

Good problems to have during these times.

Philbert

Philbert

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
There are many variations and combinations. I like the simple ones, which are also simple to clean. Use if for things that you might normally deep fry or broil, but with almost no oil. I add a little oil for flavor. Good for a lot of frozen foods, vegetables, french fries, etc. Today, I used mine to toast some pastries that I would not put in my conventional toaster (I don't have a toaster oven).

Philbert

TNTreeHugger

TNTreeHugger

Addicted to ArboristSite
There are many variations and combinations. I like the simple ones, which are also simple to clean. Use if for things that you might normally deep fry or broil, but with almost no oil. I add a little oil for flavor. Good for a lot of frozen foods, vegetables, french fries, etc. Today, I used mine to toast some pastries that I would not put in my conventional toaster (I don't have a toaster oven).

Philbert
I might have to get a little one and try it out.
I almost never deep fry, or broil anything, but I have several Italian sweets pastries that require deep frying that I often pass on because I hate to deep fry anything and waste all that oil... and it ain't cheap any more.
I use my toaster oven often though.
Got rid of my microwave when I nearly burned the house down with it and didn't replace it.

Ol' Brian

Ol' Brian

ArboristSite Guru
OK, we must be doing something wrong. We got an air fryer several years ago when they first came out, and our very best results were just mediocre. The only thing that machine excelled at was taking up counter space.

Are the machines being made today somehow different than the ones from about 5-6 years ago?

svk

Saw Hoarder
OK, we must be doing something wrong. We got an air fryer several years ago when they first came out, and our very best results were just mediocre. The only thing that machine excelled at was taking up counter space.

Are the machines being made today somehow different than the ones from about 5-6 years ago?
Mine is 3 years old and works awesome. I remember being one of the first people I knew to own one so I don’t think they were very prevalent before that. It’s possible you have a model that didn’t have the bugs worked out.

Philbert

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Got rid of my microwave when I nearly burned the house down with it and didn't replace it.

The microwave or the house?

Pretty simple machines. Mine ($20 Black Friday special) is basically a round, electric stove top burner and a fan, with a timer. Some are more like large toaster ovens.

I think that they oversell them on TV commercials, suggesting that they can replace everything else in your kitchen. Maybe look online for some tips or recipes?

Tater tots or freedom fries, lightly sprayed with canola PAM - voila! Broccoli crowns - same thing. Good for a lot of frozen ‘convenience’ foods and reheating (fried chicken, pizza, Asian takeout, egg rolls, etc.) when the portions are too small to justify turning on the oven.

I made potato pancakes in mine, just to prove that I could, but not how I would normally make them.

Philbert

Ol' Brian

Ol' Brian

ArboristSite Guru
The microwave or the house?

Pretty simple machines. Mine ($20 Black Friday special) is basically a round, electric stove top burner and a fan, with a timer. Some are more like large toaster ovens.

I think that they oversell them on TV commercials, suggesting that they can replace everything else in your kitchen. Maybe look online for some tips or recipes?

Tater tots or freedom fries, lightly sprayed with canola PAM - voila! Broccoli crowns - same thing. Good for a lot of frozen ‘convenience’ foods and reheating (fried chicken, pizza, Asian takeout, egg rolls, etc.) when the portions are too small to justify turning on the oven.

I made potato pancakes in mine, just to prove that I could, but not how I would normally make them.

Philbert
Yep, that sounds like ours... stove burner on top with a fan to circulate air, and a timer. Sounds no different to me.

Wifey bought 2 or 3 cookbooks on air fryer recipes, but we just didn't care for it. I don't think I've tried store bought french fries, I always cut them fresh. Might have to try some in it, I know we have some in the freezer right now.

With the resurgence of air fryers, maybe there are some better recipes/techniques, might have to give it a do-over. Been trying to eat healthier, and started cutting wood again after a few years hiatus, trying to get back in shape.

OM617YOTA

OM617YOTA

ArboristSite Guru
Mother in law bought us a Ninja air fryer for Christmas, it's been fantastic. Roast vegetables takes only a few minutes, french fries were good.

We'd previously tried an "air fryer" that was a big glass tub with a halogen light thing on the top, and it was terrible. The big glass tub was heavy, lot of thermal mass to heat up, and the cooking area was simply too large to heat up to temperature, in a reasonable amount of time, with the power that could be pulled out of a wall outlet. The Ninja air fryer we have now is two much smaller cooking vessels, which are thin steel, and in an insulated box. Even so, it tripped a 20a breaker when the fridge compressor kicked on while it was running. Don't run it and the toaster on the same circuit, for sure.

If you have previous experience with the glass tub thing and didn't like it, definitely try something else.

svk

Saw Hoarder
You have to cut the handle off?
Yes. I normally find Asian or modern skillets to do this to, I would never cut the handle off of a good vintage skillet. One of my air fryer skillets is an older lodge but it has a hairline crack which means it’s time is limited. And it’s much safer in an air fryer than being on a stove full of hot oil.