Air lock in oil feed for MS250

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yeti

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Kia ora all.

I am having issues with an airlock developing in an ms250's bar lube system. So far its a new o-ring and pick up hose, had the saw to pieces and cleaned every part of the supply from tank to outlet, even the vent valve has been cleaned (it's working perfect). I am pretty good with Stihl's having worked on just about the whole range from an 012 to an 090 but this has me stuffed. Even the so called tech's at the local dealer can't work it out. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Yeti
ms250,ms360

Im here because i have some related issues on a ms180, i think they have the same oiling system. I changed everything (filter, pick up hose, oil pump, gear is OK) and it oils but not the way it should and it leaks somewhere, but i don't know where. :D

Kia ora all.

I am having issues with an airlock developing in an ms250's bar lube system. So far its a new o-ring and pick up hose, had the saw to pieces and cleaned every part of the supply from tank to outlet, even the vent valve has been cleaned (it's working perfect). I am pretty good with Stihl's having worked on just about the whole range from an 012 to an 090 but this has me stuffed. Even the so called tech's at the local dealer can't work it out. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Yeti
ms250,ms360
I had the same thing with a MS180. The only way it would oil was when the tank cap was opened. I concentrated on the tank vent and ended up drilling a hole for another vent beside the original. The two new duckbill vents were $1.75.
It worked properly and then I sold it.

If I still had the saw, I would drill an 1/8" hole in the starter housing cover area that fits around the oil tank. I wonder if the crud builds up around the oil tank area plus there is a gasket sealing the neck of the tank to the starter housing. This might prevent air from getting to the vent on the top of the tank.

From what my dealer friend tells me it is a very common problem with these saws.

I had the same thing with a MS180. The only way it would oil was when the tank cap was opened. I concentrated on the tank vent and ended up drilling a hole for another vent beside the original. The two new duckbill vents were $1.75.
It worked properly and then I sold it.

If I still had the saw, I would drill an 1/8" hole in the starter housing cover area that fits around the oil tank. I wonder if the crud builds up around the oil tank area plus there is a gasket sealing the neck of the tank to the starter housing. This might prevent air from getting to the vent on the top of the tank.

From what my dealer friend tells me it is a very common problem with these saws.

Thanks Fishnuts2 for your advice on the problem. I ended up just cutting a notch that parallels the bar venting to the front of the saw which solved the issue. When I work out how to upload the photo to here I shall so you can see what I did.

Im here because i have some related issues on a ms180, i think they have the same oiling system. I changed everything (filter, pick up hose, oil pump, gear is OK) and it oils but not the way it should and it leaks somewhere, but i don't know where. :D
Where is the oil leaking exactly and did you check the state of the vent valve?

Like i said i'm not entirely sure, because it doesn't leak enough to notice if you look at it, but if you let it sit for a week there's oil everywhere. :) And once you put the handel bar on you can't see the line anymore, i'm guessing the tube doesn't seal as it should.

I did check the vent, it seemed to be ok but i just cut a bit of it off, so it should be able to breathe now.

negyqyty.jpg

I tried cutting the tip of the vent too, but then it surely will leak oil when tipped on it's side. Drill another hole in the tank and install a 2nd vent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back