Air ratchet and impact gun

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There isn’t much to the impact if it isn’t leaking air. Replacing the vanes would likely fix that. If you have a good tool shop near you, you may be surprised how cheap they with fix them. I had an IR that needed parts. It was fixed, completely disassembled and clean for not much more that I would have paid for the parts with shipping. The ratchet I wouldn’t know anything about.

I’ve been told to fill with brake fluid and run it. Atf has detergent in it but it may be too thin. I haven’t done either myself.
ATF or marvel mystery oil.

A squeeze bottle with a small tip that you can fit into the air inlet. Pull the trigger while filling and the just connect air and run it wide open.

PS
Have lots of rags handy. Lots of guys will do this every use or once a week.

I’ve been told to fill with brake fluid and run it. Atf has detergent in it but it may be too thin. I haven’t done either myself.
Never use brake fluid, it will destroy seals and o rings. Plus it attracts moisture causing rust. Plus it may damage some plastic parts.

Steve from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

I use ATF to lube all mine. They aren't to hard to repair. The air ratchet isn't too bad either. What brand do you have? Last one I rebuilt was a Ingersoll titanium, pretty easy to work on. Inspect the impact part also.

Steve from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk
One is a Kobalt, the other a Campbell Hausfeld

I have had good luck with a product called corrosionx. They market a couple of different lube products (aviation vs regular). I believe it’s all the same product but some have passed more stringent tests or is place in a more convenient dispenser. A regular 16oz spray bottle of the stuff will last a long-time lubing air tools. I put this stuff in an old 4 blade hunter ceiling fan I have in the shop that was seized from lack of oil. Freed it right up and is still running like a champ.

Back