Alaskan Chainsaw Mill Modification

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hydestone

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I've got a small Alaskan chainsaw mill that I would like to convert so that I can use a longer bar. How necessary is it to add the vertical depth guide and bar clamp at the nose? Could I get away with just extending the horizontal rails...assuming of course I can find some longer stock?

I've got a small Alaskan chainsaw mill that I would like to convert so that I can use a longer bar. How necessary is it to add the vertical depth guide and bar clamp at the nose? Could I get away with just extending the horizontal rails...assuming of course I can find some longer stock?

Just extend the rails. Might wanna add a nose oiler for bigger bars.

Hydestone, are you talking about the small log mill that only clamps to the power head end of the bar? If so, I don't think everyone understood that. I think for going beyond the 20 inch bar suggested limit you will want and need the rest of the parts. How much longer of a bar do you want to use, how big of a saw? I think you might as well look for a whole nother mill complete. You might find one on craigslist or some other source at a considerable savings. And you might consider building your own, as they say, it ain't rocket surgery. I have done all of the above. You end up with a lot more options. And definitely add an auxiliary oiler.

Hydestone, are you talking about the small log mill that only clamps to the power head end of the bar? If so, I don't think everyone understood that. I think for going beyond the 20 inch bar suggested limit you will want and need the rest of the parts. How much longer of a bar do you want to use, how big of a saw? I think you might as well look for a whole nother mill complete. You might find one on craigslist or some other source at a considerable savings. And you might consider building your own, as they say, it ain't rocket surgery. I have done all of the above. You end up with a lot more options. And definitely add an auxiliary oiler.

I will admit I was confused. I understood him to be asking about an "Alaskan Mill" which I consider to be the Granberg style (and it's clones) shown below.

maxresdefault.jpg

All you do is add longer bars (and the round horizontal bar). The vertical pieces all stay the same.

Back