Alaskan Mill... Bar length for 562 XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derrinx

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So I'm a homeowner level user of a 562xp. Have periodic vapor lock issues with it some I'm not in love with my purchase. A few cords of firewood a year are what I use it for.

A beautiful red oak fell on my property. I have a 20 and 24 inch bar for the 562. I used my alaskan mill for the first time, put on a ripping chain, maxed out the size for my 24" bar (~19" of cut board width?), and I couldn't make it more than 10 feet from the roots on the FIRST cut (it's only gonna need to get wider....)

Since I don't love my machine, would it be asking WAY to much of it to run a 32" bar? Consensus is they can run up to a 28. Whats another 4 inches? :happybanana: I set up an automatic oiler for the other end already so it has way more oil than it needs.... It was pulling the ripping chain just fine at 24"

FYI I plan on doing this on a day when temps are in the teens to reduce the heat buildup.

Or should I just rent the ~65cc Makita from Home Depot for the day and abuse that? (what bars are compatible with makitas?)

Pic is about how far I got down before needing to stop.

Mill.jpg

I knew I wasnt gonna get much support for this. I think I'm gonna go for it anyway. Unless Rjp makes me an offer I cant refuse on my vapor locking 562.....:lol:

I’ll support you. It may be crazy but guess you love and learn right? If I had a saw I was fed up with I’d probably push it and see what it could really do

I knew I wasnt gonna get much support for this. I think I'm gonna go for it anyway. Unless Rjp makes me an offer I cant refuse on my vapor locking 562.....:lol:

9a4150f5bd003ef4843c0e577d8e6a5d.jpg
20b1413612b38f127f6a7a9afd92f51a.jpg

This was done with a 562 with a 32 for a break in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BAH... I caved and bought a chinese MS660 clone.

The used market for 90cc saws in southern NY is terrible, so my options were 1400$ for new husky/stihl or 400$ (sans EPA)....

First day of actually milling! The 066 clone ran well, but wow does it drink the gas. Let's see how long it lasts. Since I'm milling the tree where it fell I'm using the 562 to finish the last 6 inches of the cut, and then to slice off the board.

Got 4 slabs cut, my mill at its widest setting was barely wide enough. I could take the dogs off for another inch or so

The mountains of sawdust were unreal. That milling chain was worth every penny.

20200119_155714.jpg
20200119_161703.jpg

Attachments

• 20200119_180714.jpg
    20200119_180714.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 37
Nice work! Take the dogs off, they just get in the way when you are milling anyway and are simple to reinstall when you need them. Good looking wood there, that bottom could be made into a nice bench with the natural "legs" built in.

Nice work! Take the dogs off, they just get in the way when you are milling anyway and are simple to reinstall when you need them. Good looking wood there, that bottom could be made into a nice bench with the natural "legs" built in.

Great idea! I very well might. Went back down today with the tractor to take the two widest slabs out. Got them stacked in my garage, and strapped them together to prevent warping. Threw a bunch of stuff on top for weight too. What an experience! I still have the bottom half of the tree left to mill also. It's only getting wider. I'll have to order a 42 inch bar and extension rails for the mill I think, or I'll use one of those cheap bar clamping mills to mill off the bark and narrow the bottom half down.

All in all, it was an awesome experience. I winched the slabs up to a flat area that I could load, and then loaded them in the tractor bucket. 9 feet long and 10/4 thick.

To think years ago I would have just chopped it all up for firewood...

Back