Alaskan Mill... Bar length for 562 XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What do you have in mind for the slabs you have made? That is beautiful wood

Thanks. Want to make a slab table for our house in the burbs. Been watching a lot of YouTube videos on them. Need to accumulate a few more tools. I'll have the table top slabs jointed and planed at a shop though. Dont want to risk using a router sled and messing it up

Might make a pine table for the cabin first to practice.

Also I need to go and get the rest. The bottom half of the tree as visible in the pics is over 10 feet away from the root swell. I decided against shaving the sides with a vertical mill so 46 inch granberg rails and a 42 inch bar and chain will be ordered soon

Thanks. Want to make a slab table for our house in the burbs. Been watching a lot of YouTube videos on them. Need to accumulate a few more tools. I'll have the table top slabs jointed and planed at a shop though. Dont want to risk using a router sled and messing it up

Might make a pine table for the cabin first to practice.

Also I need to go and get the rest. The bottom half of the tree as visible in the pics is over 10 feet away from the root swell. I decided against shaving the sides with a vertical mill so 46 inch granberg rails and a 42 inch bar and chain will be ordered soon

Might make a pretty cool bar top, what bar are you planning on ordering?

Here’s a spring board I used and still plan to make into a bar top one day.
ad7573a7051ab518673a86fcfc62a1fe.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Might make a pretty cool bar top, what bar are you planning on ordering?

Here’s a spring board I used and still plan to make into a bar top one day.
ad7573a7051ab518673a86fcfc62a1fe.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nice! My house layout isnt conducive to a bar. So I want to make a table, and maybe a mantle for the fireplace. Or maybe I'll just demo my basement and build a bar like I should...

Likely an Oregon powercut like I've gotten in a 24 and a 32. 91 bucks on amazon.

These are the 4 slabs I got, ill let them dry in the garage for a year or so and then plan the next steps

Attachments

• 20200120_122314.jpg
    20200120_122314.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 27
Why stop at 4 slabs? Got the 42 inch bar and the extension mill rails and milled 6 more slabs for a total of 10! Hit some rot on the bottom section of the trunk, 2 of 5 slabs affected but I can work around it. I think I found a new hobby...

Had a few extra hands this time do was able to do 6 slabs in a day, load them up on three tractor and drive them up to the garage
20200216_174342.jpg

Why stop at 4 slabs? Got the 42 inch bar and the extension mill rails and milled 6 more slabs for a total of 10! Hit some rot on the bottom section of the trunk, 2 of 5 slabs affected but I can work around it. I think I found a new hobby...

Had a few extra hands this time do was able to do 6 slabs in a day, load them up on three tractor and drive them up to the garage
View attachment 799102
Nice. How is the saw holding up?

Nice. How is the saw holding up?

Impressed. Pulls the 42 inch chain well. 10 slabs, and 2 top cuts so far. I believe ive ran 2.5 gallons of gas through it already. It uses about a tank per cut (28 inches+ wide, 9 feet long) , which is a bit much in my opinion, but I've never run a 90cc saw before. Nor do I care honestly. Starts up easily, even in 10 degrees. The question for me is how long will it last under this heavy use.

Impressed. Pulls the 42 inch chain well. 10 slabs, and 2 top cuts so far. I believe ive ran 2.5 gallons of gas through it already. It uses about a tank per cut (28 inches+ wide, 9 feet long) , which is a bit much in my opinion, but I've never run a 90cc saw before. Nor do I care honestly. Starts up easily, even in 10 degrees. The question for me is how long will it last under this heavy use.
I use a 42 on mine too. She should hold up for a while. Push it til it explodes. Parts are cheap. If the engine fails I've got one sitting on a shelf.

I use a 42 on mine too. She should hold up for a while. Push it til it explodes. Parts are cheap. If the engine fails I've got one sitting on a shelf.

Will do. Want to mill a hemlock next. That will be easier to chew through. But now I need to build some covered storage behind the garage. We built it last year and it's already crammed. Knew I should have gone 32x32 instead of 24x24

Curious... Any dumpster fires yet with the "cheap", "Chinese", "fake", "junk" "clone", "garbage" ...etc,etc. 660? How is she holding up with milling so far? Anything broken beyond repair yet?

I have noticed the price of the kit is up around 300 now you would think with the crap going on, they would have lowered the price a bit to get them moving again.

I have noticed the price of the kit is up around 300 now you would think with the crap going on, they would have lowered the price a bit to get them moving again.
Hey. Havent milled anything since the 10 slabs. They're slowly aging in the garage. My parents are at the cabin and with this whole crazy covid bs (I'm 32 and not at all scared of getting it 4 of my friends had it and are fine) I'm avoiding going up there. And on the project list for when I do get back up there is grading a field to make it lawn and plating more fruit trees (60 planted and individually fenced in
the past 3 years.) Looking forward to my next milling adventure. My dad wanted some 1×12 for project and our local mill is closed, so I told him to mill it himself! Haha

Will definitely post the next milling project.

Busted it out yesterday to buck up a big 30 inch poplar that fell on my neighbors lawn due to the storm we had in the northeast last week. He's an old guy so I offered to take the wood for my friend's fireplace. Ran the 32 inch bar with a cross cut chain and it made short work of all 30 inch rounds I sliced up. Pulls like a beast. That being said, fuel efficiency is horrendous. Drank a half gallon of gas for ~20 30 inch rounds

If you run a 42” bar for milling you definitely want to put on an external Oiler. Have you been to the milling forum here? Lots of good info there. Have fun!
Yeah I had a friend or my dad dripping oil on the the sprocket end. Get the whole family involved in this awesome hobby. Safely of course.

It definitely is the early style. I'll look into it
I'll just note amd add to what was said. I own a 2012 562xp, the added vent hole, and a muff mod made a world of difference in getting heat off the saw. I just rebuilt mine for the first time and still havent had any carb related issues with it. Also there were a few (3 I think) different carbs on these saws. The el42 was first and the el48(if memory serves) fixed about 90% of the hot restart issues.

Cheers on your milling btw. Its quite fun. I do agree that saw is thirsty, I mill with my husqy 390xp and a 394xp before that. Neither were that hard on fuel. But hey it works so feed it....

Back