Alaskan saw mill modification

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djones

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Here's my solution to adjusting the height of cut.
DSCF0490.JPG DSCF0489.JPG
I think it cost me less than $10 to purchase the pieces and about an hour worth of labor to set up and install. No more struggling to keep the ends in place. Just lift the cross bar a bit and turn the knobs in the desired direction. I expect to see a more refined product from you more experienced fabricators in the future.

That approach been around well before I made my first mill in 2007.
CMSandCS.jpg
cranks2.jpg

Tip - with crank handles, as opposed to round knobs, an ockky strap connecting the two cranks stops them rattling and keeps them in place.
On my big mill I have locking wing nuts and cam clamps on the verticals so I find I don't need to connect to teh cranks - just the two uprights and it makes a difference with rattling and things falling off
880bigBILMill.jpg

That approach been around well before I made my first mill in 2007.
View attachment 664657
View attachment 664658

Tip - with crank handles, as opposed to round knobs, an ockky strap connecting the two cranks stops them rattling and keeps them in place.
On my big mill I have locking wing nuts and cam clamps on the verticals so I find I don't need to connect to teh cranks - just the two uprights and it makes a difference with rattling and things falling off
View attachment 664659
Had I seen your solution long ago I would of adapted it to my set up sooner. Nicely done.

Looks good Djones, hows it hold up during use? Do you have any trouble with things rattling?

Mille
As soon as I get back out to the log table I'll let you know. I've got two 20 ft. logs waiting for me to do some milling on them.
Milled up one of my pine logs yesterday, finally, and I'm very happy with the modification I made. Makes adjustments easier to control. The rattling is of no concern since you can't hear with muffs on. A piece of fuel line slipped over the end of the 1/4" rods keeps the knobs from going any further. Anything that makes the adjustments more manageable is a blessing IMO.

Back