• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Sold All done

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know we're a 026 rebuilt is for probably 250 shipped if he still has it. Another member who don't go on much anymore

smart move

I talked to my buddy who’s family owns one of the local Stihl/Husky dealers. I bought my 361 from him, and then a Toro rider ;) He’s a wealth of knowledge. Anyhow, I called him yesterday to get pricing on a 28” ES bar, and we talked about the 026/260/261. He highly recommended I go with the 261CM. He stated that they sell a bunch of them, and they don’t come back with issues. I was a bit scared of the M-tronic system, thinking old school carb is the way to go. But, it appears the M-Tronic really gives the 261 the edge.

I talked to my buddy who’s family owns one of the local Stihl/Husky dealers. I bought my 361 from him, and then a Toro rider ;) He’s a wealth of knowledge. Anyhow, I called him yesterday to get pricing on a 28” ES bar, and we talked about the 026/260/261. He highly recommended I go with the 261CM. He stated that they sell a bunch of them, and they don’t come back with issues. I was a bit scared of the M-tronic system, thinking old school carb is the way to go. But, it appears the M-Tronic really gives the 261 the edge.
Stihl also makes a 261 Non M Tronic. I have one

Picked it up for $503 at the dealer

I've run the standard carb & the M Tronic. M Tronic has better throttle response.
They port very well too

They can be hard to find, but I like the standard carb 261 better. No hot start issues and cheaper to work on. Cheaper saw new as well.

I also feel like the 261 is notably superior to the 260. Wider power band, better fuel economy, a touch lighter and a really comfy saw to run.

They can be hard to find, but I like the standard carb 261 better. No hot start issues and cheaper to work on. Cheaper saw new as well.

I also feel like the 261 is notably superior to the 260. Wider power band, better fuel economy, a touch lighter and a really comfy saw to run.
The 261 does have more power then the 260 I had both 261c and 261 I chose the 261c because it waz quicker on the throttle. I also have a 026 and really like it the 261 and 026 are both portrd and the 261c will spank my 026 I never have had any hot start issues. The 661 and 362 have more issues with that then the 241c and 261c You are wrong about the weight issue. The 261 is a little more then a pound heavier then the 260. Hope this helps

The 261 does have more power then the 260 I had both 261c and 261 I chose the 261c because it waz quicker on the throttle. I also have a 026 and really like it the 261 and 026 are both portrd and the 261c will spank my 026 I never have had any hot start issues. The 661 and 362 have more issues with that then the 241c and 261c You are wrong about the weight issue. The 261 is a little more then a pound heavier then the 260. Hope this helps

As I was writing the weight comment I half wondered if I had it backwards.

The hot start thing is very real though. I had a 261c-m that was so bad I sold it. I’m at 5800’ though, so it may be worse at elevation. I also had a 362c-m (bought the same day) and I agree that it was worse. Sold it too. The standard carbs that replaced them have run flawlessly for 2+ years. Some of the most reliable saws I run.

Back