"All fuel chimney" system installation

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Axlerod74

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Getting ready to install the wood burner in the home and going through the ceiling with an Air-Jet "all fuel chimney" system. This system calls for the addition of a starter section (12" section of perforated, tripple wall pipe) as it goes through the ceiling before entering the usual tripple wall sections. All the folks I have talked to by-passed the starter section and went straight to the traditional tripple wall sections. From what I am reading, the starter section is a safety valve designed only to operate at extremely high temperatures (as in the case of a chimney fire) introducing air to the outter portions of the tripple wall, helping to keep it cool. This sounds like a significant safety feature. I don't understand why most folks (at least the ones I talk to) are skipping this step. Even the guy at the hardware store selling the kit said I really did not need it and he only sold about 1 per year. This section does not come with the kit and costs an additional $100.

The chimney system is rated for 1000 degree continuous burn, 1400 degree burn for 1 hour and 2100 degree burn for 10 minutes. I never intend to allow creosote to build up or to let my wood burner get that hot! Never the less, it sounds like good insurance in case of an emergency.

What are your experiences with these type of systems? Everyone using the starter sections?

I don't know about your specific system, but I've seen triple wall withstand a chimney fire that was blowing flame like a jet engine for several minutes. After it was out and inspected there seemed to be no damage to the triple wall at all. I forget the brand but it was rated to withstand a chimney fire. Turned out to be a good thing, the family could not afford a new chimney, let alone losing the house, as the dad was out of work at the time. Seeing that fire gave me a whole new respect for SS triple wall chimney systems.

Mr. HE:cool:

Creosote is the enemy with any chimney system! The Air-jet system uses .015 (28 gauge) stainless as the inner liner of the tripple wall. I am a leaning towards using stainless steel for my single wall pipe from the stove to the ceiling just to be safe.

How did they get the chimney fire out?

In the colder climates they tend to have poor draft, and creosote up more. Do to not keeping the chimney warm enough. In KY, I would think it would work perfectly.

Those I have talked to locally have not had any draft trouble with theirs. Our winters tend to be more mild than the northern climates for sure.

Back