All set up.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Overview of the whole thing. There was a post in the middle, but we removed it and added some bracing to support the upper rafters.

IMG_5379.jpg

Built a log deck with removable bridges between the deck and mill. Also good for putting the milled lumber/slabs on it as I'm finishing them.

IMG_5380.jpg

IMG_5381.jpg

IMG_5382.jpg

Overhead 8x8 I beam helps to lift the log to reposition it, or lift one end to get it centered, or even turn the log around if I want to mill from the other direction. Also helps to turn the log when it's just too darn heavy for the cant hook.

IMG_5386.jpg

This rack is very handy. As I mill off the flitches, I have a place to put them where I can easily lift them by myself, one end at a time. Then I can put them back on the mill for further edging.

IMG_5389.jpg

IMG_5390.jpg

But wait, there's more! That rack is also my firewood cutter. I can use the chainsaw for cutting useless junk into firewood sized pieces for later splitting.

IMG_5391.jpg

Here are some chunks ready to be split.

IMG_5392.jpg

And here is the firewood. I'm working on a conveyor to get them from this spot over the mill, and into my truck.
IMG_5393.jpg

When I finish with the firewood at my own home, then I'll bring my splitter here to split the chunks directly after sawing them. Running out of room, but I hope to be able to have a cord of wood stacked in there at a time, for my dump truck holds exactly a cord.

When I finish with the firewood at my own home, then I'll bring my splitter here to split the chunks directly after sawing them. Running out of room, but I hope to be able to have a cord of wood stacked in there at a time, for my dump truck holds exactly a cord.
Do you have room for drying sheds, milled lumber will need to season before using it to build.

Very Cool! Looking good Unclestash!
Now if you can make sheet goods like that OSB you’re using... you’d be raking in the [emoji383].

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ditto what Del said. Nice setup and well thought out. Too clean though :laugh: . When I was at the mill, we always had 6" or so of saw dust or crap wood to walk around on. What do you do with your trimming sticks when making lumber? Some sort of movable carriage to load them on? The overhead 'crane' is nice also. Ours was electric. Could lift logs and roll cants to cut a different face.

Ditto what Del said. Nice setup and well thought out. Too clean though :laugh: . When I was at the mill, we always had 6" or so of saw dust or crap wood to walk around on. What do you do with your trimming sticks when making lumber? Some sort of movable carriage to load them on? The overhead 'crane' is nice also. Ours was electric. Could lift logs and roll cants to cut a different face.

Funny that anyone should call me clean!!
But I did get it all tidy for the pics. It’s not going to stay that way.

Excellent progress there Josh, looks amazing.
And finally someone posted pictures correctly orientated for those of us viewing from Down Under.

:)

What?! Are they upside down for you? My first post I kept adding/deleting photos because they kept showing up inverted. Finally figured it out with the second post.

What?! Are they upside down for you? My first post I kept adding/deleting photos because they kept showing up inverted. Finally figured it out with the second post.
Afraid so mate, all good, easy to copy paste and rotate to view, but yeah, they all came out either upside down, or to the side.

Still, good for us Aussies to look at for once.

:)

A large fan in the back to pressurize the building and keeping air flowing out the front past the mill would greatly reduce the amount of dust the operators are exposed to.

A large fan in the back to pressurize the building and keeping air flowing out the front past the mill would greatly reduce the amount of dust the operators are exposed to.

I have a box fan, but that's not really big enough. I was hoping to place it where it could blow dust away from me. I could always use a respirator, although that's annoying.

Nice setup!

Those trimings you chunked up from the outside of the logs don't need a splitter. A good axe and a chopping block will do the job quicker.

Not if you have a SuperSplit!! :dancing: :dancing: :havingarest:

One of my side line activities is wood/shop dust management/consultant so in the course of this I visit a lot of shops - both pro and DIY shops, and provide advice on this matter, and BSM Dust management inside a building can be tricky.
The logs are usually loaded on the side opposite where the sawdust is ejected and as the loading side needs to be near an open side of the building that places the sawdust production on teh other side of the mill so closer to the middle of the building. I see you are using what looks like a snow shovel? to handle it.

I agree about having to wear a respirator all the time when milling is a right PITA. I so have a full face respirator which runs off a battery pack attached to a waist belt but I find it very claustrophobic and at times they don't put out enough air especially when its hot.

As far a fans go you might want to take a look at barn ventilation fans.
The one in the photo below is a 3HP unit that runs straight of (ours is 240V) regular mains power and is being used at a large country "Mens shed" (community shop).
DunsMensShed.jpg
I personally don't like these fans as they are noisy but they sure do move heck of a lot of air.

Where I live it rarely goes below freezing in winter (maybe a few hours in the whole year) and although it can get very hot in summer most of the rain (~28" a year) falls in short heavy falls during June-Aust so I still opted to set up the BSM to use its outside. It's also relatively windy most of the time so there is always a breeze blowing the dust away.

Theres also lots of room around the mill to used a forklift and a loader with a bucket to scrape up the sawdust.
BS1.jpg
I realise this doesn't suit many folks especially in climates where the weather can be quite different.

Back