Alpina 120 no spark, possible coil options?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys, got a rare one on the bench. It's an Alpina 120 and it has no spark. Disconnected the kill wire and still have no spark. Obviously I can't just go buy a new/used one off the internet. Anyone run into this same problem and retrofit another coil to make it spark?

Hey guys, got a rare one on the bench. It's an Alpina 120 and it has no spark. Disconnected the kill wire and still have no spark. Obviously I can't just go buy a new/used one off the internet. Anyone run into this same problem and retrofit another coil to make it spark?
I`m not completely sure but think there were 2 ignition set ups on 120`s one type like the one I have has what I think is a points type coil & a black plastic module by the air box, I have not had to try it on this saw as the spark is good, but on an Alpina Prof 55 that ran out of spark I replaced the plastic unit with a NOVA 2 chip & it works fine, the other coil type is fully electronic & only fixed by replacement. As far as I`m aware no other saw coil will fit [ stand correcting if any one knows of 1 that will] The only place that used to carry replacements is a German co that will not I understand ship out of Europe + you had to be sitting down when you looked up the price, but of late a lot of 070 & 120 plarts are listed as NLA. I fear it`s a be very patient & check Ebay often, you could look on Ebay.de or Ebay. it, Best of luck, Shame really as they are a good saw when going.

This sounds crazy I know but I was working on a buddy's Homelite XL12 awhile back that had a dead coil. I read on the Homelite forum site that you could wrap it in aluminum foil and bake in the oven at 350 degrees for 10 minutes and that would fix it. I thought it was crazy but having nothing to loose I tried it and it worked. The blue Prestolite coil worked fine after the heat treatment. I know it's sounds crazy but what do you have to loose? If you try it, make sure the wife is gone.

This sounds crazy I know but I was working on a buddy's Homelite XL12 awhile back that had a dead coil. I read on the Homelite forum site that you could wrap it in aluminum foil and bake in the oven at 350 degrees for 10 minutes and that would fix it. I thought it was crazy but having nothing to loose I tried it and it worked. The blue Prestolite coil worked fine after the heat treatment. I know it's sounds crazy but what do you have to loose? If you try it, make sure the wife is gone.
I have a guy near me that swears a non functioning coil can be brought back to life by putting it in a freezer bag & ``cooking``it over night in the freezer , Never tried it, so can`t comment on whether yea or nay, but he says he would bet money on it, & he`s one of the short arms deep pockets type so maybe it solves the problem

Might have to give one of those tricks a try. One says heat, the other says cold to bring them back. LOL

Brad, it's not my saw. Just working on it for a guy.

Nova module wouldn't work, as it is a one piece electronic setup.

Back