Already getting calls for fire wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gslam88

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone else is getting calls for firewood as of yet. Everyone in the area is seeing the fuel price go up for their home heating and unable to lock in a price, so already have gotten several calls on it. Just wondering???

Pete

I have ordered my logs already. We are done cutting it all up too. Electirc prices are to go up too. I know my neighbors think I'm werid but who's going to be laughing in Jan. when they are geeting their electric bill and fuel bills. I'm done paid for mine up front and I'm done!!!

Other places around Harrisburg,PA said they don't have until Aug.

I either get the wood I resell for free or charge my customer to haul it out of there so I am making it on both ends Scott. That is what is nice about it for me.

Pete

Sure, I've got customers calling to get it green anticipating the surge in seasoned prices. Several of the oil companies around here sent out their prepaid oil contracts this week. My company offered $2.95 a gallon. Very glad that I chose to "prepay" an outdoor woodboiler instead. At these prices it will pay for itself in less than 2 heating seasons.

I imagine people are ordering now because they don't trust that the wood will be dry for the winter. This way they can stack it and know they have several months of drying time.

mactel said:
I imagine people are ordering now because they don't trust that the wood will be dry for the winter. This way they can stack it and know they have several months of drying time.

That must be it. When I cut and split wood, it is never dry by the time I deliver it in the fall.But if I dump it in somebody's yard today it is magically dry in the fall.:dizzy:

I'm confused by your thinking. You must have been screwed by an unscrupulous firewood dealer.

Newfie said:
That must be it. When I cut and split wood, it is never dry by the time I deliver it in the fall.But if I dump it in somebody's yard today it is magically dry in the fall.:dizzy:

I'm confused by your thinking. You must have been screwed by an unscrupulous firewood dealer.

You got it newfie-

I'm glad you're above board, but i ordered from two different chaps this winter. They both claimed it was cut and split six months previous. When it got to my house both loads (two seperate sellers) had all the wood freshly cut (i know the difference) and bubbled and spat as it "burned."

No offense to you guys that do it right, but my experience has been bad. I usually do all my own wood- just ran out last year. I would be pleased to pay for a cord in February that was cut and split today.

newfie, I'm sure you know this goes on too often.

mactel said:
You got it newfie-

I'm glad you're above board, but i ordered from two different chaps this winter. They both claimed it was cut and split six months previous. When it got to my house both loads (two seperate sellers) had all the wood freshly cut (i know the difference) and bubbled and spat as it "burned."

No offense to you guys that do it right, but my experience has been bad. I usually do all my own wood- just ran out last year. I would be pleased to pay for a cord in February that was cut and split today.

newfie, I'm sure you know this goes on too often.

Unfortunately for the customer it does happen too often. You can always tell from those fresh cut ends when they actually cut it.

I just find it easier to do things right. I don't have to worry if I can sell all of my wood as I have more demand from my repeats and referral than I can keep up with.

I tell you though its hard to get out in april and may to split wood just to hope it will sell in the winter.I'm hoping to get several more cords split before mid june.

Scott76 said:
I have ordered my logs already. We are done cutting it all up too. Electirc prices are to go up too. I know my neighbors think I'm werid but who's going to be laughing in Jan. when they are geeting their electric bill and fuel bills. I'm done paid for mine up front and I'm done!!!

Other places around Harrisburg,PA said they don't have until Aug.

how did your bucking weekend go man?

pyromaniac guy said:
how did your bucking weekend go man?

It went great. We all had fun. Took 7 hours to cut and a full day to run the splitter. We got around 7.5 cords out of the load. Great firewood. Just one smashed finger tip with nerve damage. Its healing ok. If I had room I would get another load.

Scott76 said:
It went great. We all had fun. Took 7 hours to cut and a full day to run the splitter. We got around 7.5 cords out of the load. Great firewood. Just one smashed finger tip with nerve damage. Its healing ok. If I had room I would get another load.

what did you pay for the load and who did you get it from?

pyromaniac guy said:
what did you pay for the load and who did you get it from?

I paid 550. I got it from D&D Hauling. They are just up 78 just north of 81 & 78 split. Really nice guy. I'll have to find his number if you need it.

Newfie said:
I just find it easier to do things right. I don't have to worry if I can sell all of my wood as I have more demand from my repeats and referral than I can keep up with.

Some folks never DO quite understand that business model. You know, the "happy customers give referrals & repeat business" thing. It's jsut a mystery to them. So they keep working hard on finding new customers all the time, wondering why they never seem to get ahead, and chortling every time they rip someone off.

Yup, these are the same guys who wonder why they have to run an ad in the newspaper, year round to move their product. the same guys who won't post prices in the ad.

Scott76 said:
I paid 550. I got it from D&D Hauling. They are just up 78 just north of 81 & 78 split. Really nice guy. I'll have to find his number if you need it.

nah, no need. i was just being nosey...

pyromaniac guy said:
nah, no need. i was just being nosey...

I had to pay this time because I just bought my first house and need to get ahead of the seasons. Now I have people telling me they need some trees cut up and the woods mine. I'm looking to buy some mountain ground to supply me firewood habit..

Scott76 said:
I had to pay this time because I just bought my first house and need to get ahead of the seasons. Now I have people telling me they need some trees cut up and the woods mine. I'm looking to buy some mountain ground to supply me firewood habit..

we have 140 acres of mountain ground that we harvest. i was just curious what you paid for the load in case i get lazy...

pyromaniac guy said:
we have 140 acres of mountain ground that we harvest. i was just curious what you paid for the load in case i get lazy...

Give me the directions. Your close enough when you get to lazy and I get to cheap, we can switch!

Back