Altec boom recall

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oak Savanna

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a 2002 altec LRV55 boom.The guy who does my yearly boom inspection and dielectric test called me this afternoon and was telling me that altec has put out some type of recall for bushings and or pins in the knuckle?! He is going to be intouch with altec tomorrow and is going to get back to me. He is gonna try and come out as soon as he can to check the knuckle. They have been contacting all their customers with altec booms. If they cant fix it then I will have to bring it to altec which is about 2 hours away. He was saying they have some pro-rated warranty on this problem and is going to get this all sorted out and let me know. Everything worked fine and the boom flies smooth. We check it over everyday before we go out and its inspected every year. Truck is staying parked until further notice, just cant chance it. Just wanted to let everyone know incase anyone out there is running an altec. If you are I would suggest calling altec direct to look into this. I will post more once I find out more.
stay safe

When I worked for "big orange" we had to send every truck to Altec eventually to get the knuckle replaced. It was all under warranty, but were talking almost 100 trks, judt in N.H. . They were safe to run according to the Altec officials, the longer you ran it with the knuckle gone the more damage you did. The tell tale sign was the upper boom would start hitting the fittings on the lower boom when you folded up. Hope this helps ya.

When I worked for "big orange" we had to send every truck to Altec eventually to get the knuckle replaced. It was all under warranty, but were talking almost 100 trks, judt in N.H. . They were safe to run according to the Altec officials, the longer you ran it with the knuckle gone the more damage you did. The tell tale sign was the upper boom would start hitting the fittings on the lower boom when you folded up. Hope this helps ya.

Thanks for the input. He did say something about measuring the upper boom to the turret while its up out of the rest. I think he is coming by tomorrow to check it out. Dont wanna keep running it if its not right. How long ago did you find out about this? Wonder why altec over here is just bringing this up now?!

Thanks for the input. He did say something about measuring the upper boom to the turret while its up out of the rest. I think he is coming by tomorrow to check it out. Dont wanna keep running it if its not right. How long ago did you find out about this? Wonder why altec over here is just bringing this up now?!

I believe all this started around 4 years ago. Asplundh would wait until the knuckle was junk to send the truck down to Altec. Obviously they couldnt have there whole fleet down. Time varied on how long the trk was there by how busy they were. The quickest we had them back was a week, the longest I think was just over a month. You should be fine to run it, especially if its under warranty.

Back