Alternative Starting Methods?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pursang

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm looking for ideas to build an easier way of starting chainsaws, particularly larger displacement saws or one's that are just cranky to get going, I've seen a bunch of methods and decided on using this 12 volt starter mounted to the receiver hitch on the front or rear bumper. if anyone has any ideas, advice or if you've made your own alternate starting method please post up some pics and info.

The starter will drive the flywheel the same way the pull starter does using the pawl slots.

StarterMod1.JPG

This Toyota starter should be strong enough for starting any chainsaw.

StarterMod4.JPG

I badly bruised ribs and boy did that make starting a saw tough.
Worst part is the chiropractor did it. Went in to get my back sorted out, could barely stand and it had been a week or so.
Fixed that, but made my chest hurt. Next day looked like I'd been kicked in the chest by a moose.

I was running a 288 at the time so it took a good pull to fire it up.

Wasn't too bad once I figured a position that didn't flex my rib much. Coughing or sneezing really sucked!

Wow - a car starter seems like immense overkill depending on how you power it.... you could fracture crank bits.

We used to start 2-stroke GP racebikes with cordless drills (although for 250's it was almost mandatory to use a corded drill, but 125's could use a cordless - however this was before some of these high amp high torque cordless drills like there are today), using a special socket with a one-way bearing/clutch so the drill didn't break your wrist...

It had a reverse thread nut that spun onto the stator. I'm sure something similar could be welded/machined onto a chainsaw flywheel.

Here's the one I had:

https://www.accu-products.com/accu-products-specialties/starter-tool/prod_3018.html

That seems an odd choice when you can use a ready built Kart starter, but maybe it's cheaper? Kart starters typically utilize a large hex, and its reversed for engines (female head bolt is on the engine).

You can buy purpose made slip clutch sockets (I am sure they have a proper name) or use the nylon drive cogs that allow slip.

Myself, If I do not have the right size slip socket on my drill, I will use a heavier push from an old air impact. The impact sockets do not enjoy disengaging but the impact itself can be over driven without damaging it.

Most of the time, I have only had to use this method with cranky points engines or ones where I have no reference for initial carb settings (and 1-2 isnt working).

Musing on it, I do not know if I'd be using a starting device for a chainsaw off the bench. In racing you have multiple people required to start an engine for saftey, each doing only one task.
594887f38b298a6af64c05bff72afea6.jpg
fba13e42cd952b234e95f3e6fb194962.jpg

This is probably a jerk comment...but I don't see how a person could be physically capable of safely running a saw without being to pull start it.

An automotive starter does not seem like a good idea... the flywheel would get tore up pretty quick.
Ever see a hydraulic or marine chainsaw? No pull-starts on those.

However I do see where you are going and partially agree. Not really a fan of the easy-start for the same reason.
91a46e237be9c0498ee0d2b92842fe6f.jpg

This is probably a jerk comment...but I don't see how a person could be physically capable of safely running a saw without being to pull start it.

An automotive starter does not seem like a good idea... the flywheel would get tore up pretty quick.
First thought is someone with bad shoulder or older retired people

I had 100 pound woman trained to start back pack blowers a quick pull to release pressure and no problem

The only time ive hurt myself was starting an 066 when it kicked back and i was bent over..the saw pulled up and i fell over across it. That was the last time i did it "the right way"

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

easy start systems- I generally refer to those as never start systems.
$299 for this system from pullstarter.com.
Starting fuel powered model plane engines- have a few scars from that. I remember being at the regionals and some had home built powered starters using small engine starters and a small 12 or 6 volt battery ( from garden tractors or similar)- that was back in the 60's. I sure did envy them at the time.

Thinking on it, if you really want to build a mechanical chainsaw starter, the best option for a chainsaw would be a friction-drum type starter.

The easiest way to build it would be to take a bench grinder, use an old grinding wheel or make a drum, and glue/affix some rubber belt to it.

You would then simply turn on the bench grinder at the proper speed (if it is variable) then, with both hands on the saw, bring the flywheel down to contact the drum.

I belive that is probably the safest option for a one-person setup.

Cordless drill and a skateboard wheel should work well. I used to use a speed cup wire brush on my 2 stroke mower. Might take a few tries but you will find something that will spin the flywheel.

I always drop start, I managed to **** up both my back, and a few saws by putting them on the ground to start as they tell you too when I was a teen.
broke the rear handle clean off a 038 once... never had a single issue drop starting a saw.
plus, drop starting puts me in a good position to react if something goes wrong, I can't move or react fast when bent over.
also, if it kicks back while drop starting, am less likely to fall onto the saw, and more likely to have it just pop out of my hand, i know this from experience.
I fell onto my 372 once when it popped & I was standing on snow with my foot in the rear handle. thankfully it wasn't running yet...

Latest posts

Back