Alternative uses for chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I cut the tread out of tractor tires, leaving two sidewalls. Paint the sidewalls green, nail on the biggest bows you can find, and you've got a pair of Christmas wreaths for the barn.

Dave
Great idea. I've got an old tractor tire in the barn that's about 4 feet tall that I don't know what to do with. I'm sure the wife would be happy to have another Redneck Christmas.

My advise (from experience)......don't tell her what you're up to until it's hung. P.S., they're HEAVY :D

Cutting holes in the ice to practice rescues. The "victim" had on a dry suit and the people had to get a rescue rope to the person and get them warmed up.

Roger B. bought the capstan winch from me. I had an old power head on it.

Last winter we had a really heavy, wet snow followed by cold weather. The plow piles on the side of the road were like sandstone. We needed to get the atv up to the yarda to drag logs and brush. I had just serviced the 066 and used it to block up the snowbank with some vertical cuts and then slabbed off the bank with a horizontal. The chunks came out like building blocks.

The Craftsman electric chainsaw is nice to use in the shop to chunk down lllumber when I don't want to bother the neighbors.

A friend of mine once said that the chainsaw is one of the most constructive and destructive tools that humans have ever devised. Gotta agree with that!

Tom

Alternate use of chainsaw

I have an old Homelight (rusted and stuck) .I thought of removing the chain, bolting a box to the bar,and mounting it on a post.Do you know anyone with a mailbox like this?

Hey Mikey,
In Ackworth, GA, that idea would probably be acceptable.
Reminds me of something my buddy told me many years ago. We were leaving my dump spot, which was a pasture owned by a 'good ol boy'. As we drove past the 4X4 Pinto, various trucks with strange implements welded to them, the tractor crankshaft used as a mailbox post, etc. my buddy turned to me and said "You know, a redneck with a welder is a dangerous thing."
:p

Chain Saw Use

I have trimmed a particularily thick cedar hedge at my aunts farm with one; just make sure you do not use petro chemical based bar oil.

Also have used it to cut holes in ice for ice fishing and scuba diving.

One of our customers uses his 630II to cut up tires in a junk yard.
Thank God for carbide chain! But its a pain to clean all that melted rubber off the muffler and the sprocket!:angry:

You guys have some interesting ideas. (Dons welding helmet...)

Mikey, what kind of Homelite? I'm looking for some parts.

Well, messy though it is, a JR 410 does a nice quick job of field dressing a moose. Now, I see "food grade Stainless Steel chains & bars" advertised now and then. At first I thought it was a joke, then a friend from Baffin Island came on a hunt & showed the fast way to lighten a moose.

Was watching some Red Green reruns on tape tonight and Red had to cut a matress in half so he could pack it for a trip. Couldn't tell what kind of saw he was using.

Anyone know if those are Greffardized saws you always here wailing in the background? :D I was thinking Clearwater revival might be a little like a visit to Possum Lodge.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they might as well find you handy"

Alt. chainsaw use

Hello John in MA.,The Homelight is a xl-12 that I found just below the edge of lake when the water level was down.There is nothing to salvage here.Maybe it was used as a boat anchor years ago?

Dragoon...you missed my buffalo thread a long time ago...I butchered a buffalo with my little Jonny last Xmas...no stainless, but veggie oil....

Newfie...how did you know that was near here...the nephew is really John Lambert...and that is him wailing in the background with his rocked out 088 and self sharpening chain..

Duct Tape Duo

Dennis,

So Llamabert is really Harold! I kinda figured he might be Buzz the wacked out Bush pilot, but I guess he could also be living an alternative lifestyle as Harold the dorky nephew.

Sounds like the Revival will have some activities that the lodge members would be proud of. Well this is Edgar Montross signing off and saying "you gotta use a triple charge of #7" (BOOM!)

Keep your stick on the ice!

The worst yet, is a saw I worked on, because the guy said it wouldn't cut, only produce sawdust. When I ventured upstairs and looked at all his power tools, I noticed two chainsaws, a mac 310? and a husky 61. The husky being in very good shape for its age, except for the mud, bar, and chain. The bar was chipped and the chain was absolutely shot. When I asked the guy what he did to the saw(I figured he strapped it to the back of his four-wheeler) he said he couldn't get a stump out so he went to work on it with the husky. If it will work, why not use it?

Latest posts

Back