Aluminum air tank build for blowing caps clean of sawdust

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You should have a pressure relief valve on that.

Why fuss with ten-thousanths on something that could be +/- .25" and not matter?

I used to take a 20lb propane bottle full of air with me but never saw a need to use air to clean tank caps.
The main thing I used it for was to clean the air filter after 3-4 hours of milling dry timber but found just knocking the filter on a log was more than good enough.

To assist with blowing down the mill/saw after use I set the mill up like this.
The pump up wheels bolt onto the end of the mill rails and a HDPE foot attaches to the main handle so the mill stands up on its own allowing for compressed air to get at all sides.

upright.jpg

Not enough pressure to need one. It can handle few hundred psi. Unless there’s another reason to need one

Because you've created a pipe bomb. I can't think of any pressure vessel that doesn't have some type of safety to vent pressure.
Most air tanks are tested to 300psi, but still have 150psi safety valves.

Seems strange to me you'd be worried about building it to +/- 0.0001" but not bother with a $5 safety feature required to allow the tank to be transportable on a road.
I guess "in theory" the hose would burst before the tank would, though I wouldn't try that.

Go to the Dollar Store and get a small $1 paint brush. You can drill a hole on the handle and tie it onto your saw's handle.

For the mill get a couple of cheap wisk and full size brooms.

I agree with others you need a pop-off valve. I've seen idiots blow up a cycle tire using a 150 psi compressor. It sounded about like a 1/4 stick going off. In your case the metal parts could kill someone.

Go to the Dollar Store and get a small $1 paint brush. You can drill a hole on the handle and tie it onto your saw's handle.

I agree with others you need a pop-off valve. I've seen idiots blow up a cycle tire using a 150 psi compressor. It sounded about like a 1/4 stick going off. In your case the metal parts could kill someone.

Compressed air is scary stuff. The energy stored is crazy.

I agree, just use a cheap paintbrush to wisk away any sawdust. Works for me, never had a fuel or oil clog from sawdust.

All the naysayers regarding the safety relief valve.
Answer this question.
How is he going to accidentally fill it with more than 150 psi?
He is manually filling it with air from his compressor, which has a safety relief valve.

Why does his compressor have a safety relief valve? Because the pressure switch could fail, that is why.
In order for this small tank to be over pressurized, he would need to throw it in a fire. Or fill it while his compressors pressure switch and safety relief valve have both been bypassed and the tank is holding together at 300psi.
Or fill it with a cylinder of compressed gas, which is very unlikely to happen.

For cleaning around the fill plugs I always found my finger works fine for the bigger debris, anything fine that I actually care about I get close and just blow it off. Using air to clean your air filter seems nice but a couple of smacks on the side of your boot works well, usually I dont bother cleaning/replacing till I get home then use clean gas and a air compressor. Different strokes for different folks.

I wasn't trying to be negative, or rude. Just coming from 17 years working in the truck and trailer repair industry, I've see the destruction that comes from ruptured air tanks and those are tested underwater, at 500psi. Truck compressors and air dryers both have safety valves, to prevent over pressurizing tanks.
Making your own pressure vessel is not something to just go and do, surface areas and material thicknesses need to be calculated. There is a reason end caps are domed in manufactured tanks, more surface area to exert the pressure.
I'm sure the o.p. is quite meticulous, as judging by the cleanliness of his saw, and will be fine, I was only stating that when building things, safety should play a role.

All the naysayers regarding the safety relief valve.
Answer this question.
How is he going to accidentally fill it with more than 150 psi?
He is manually filling it with air from his compressor, which has a safety relief valve.

Why does his compressor have a safety relief valve? Because the pressure switch could fail, that is why.
In order for this small tank to be over pressurized, he would need to throw it in a fire. Or fill it while his compressors pressure switch and safety relief valve have both been bypassed and the tank is holding together at 300psi.
Or fill it with a cylinder of compressed gas, which is very unlikely to happen.

Same reason all portable air tanks have safety reliefs, just in case.
I can't think of any pressure vessel that doesn't have a relief of some form.

It's a DOT requirement. Probably OSHA as well.

It seems odd to be fussy enough to need an air tank lugged out to the woods when a rag or even a glove would do the job. But then be adamant on ignoring a cheap and technically required safety feature.

On the older firewood processor, it uses a shop built air tank for some functions. Piece of 6" steel pipe and not designed well.

I can't remember exactly how it's setup, but it's 2 sections, one side 100psi, the other 500psi.

The 500 psi side ended up getting some hydraulic oil and water built up so the pressure was much higher than supposed to be. Small tank, so didn't take but maybe a cup of oil and water.

It blew a 1/2" thick end cap off. Luckily the tank was between 2 brackets of 2x2 .25 tube.
Even still it dented the tube in and was LOUD when it blew. Sounded like an explosion.

It should be designed with a safety. I was floored when Blockbuster said it wasn't uncommon for them to blow, though I've since found other examples of poor design and "oh yeah, that's been happening"

A 500 or 750 psi safety valve isn't overly expensive... under $100. Pennies on a $50k+ machine.

Back