aluminum hard hats

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since then I've heard that the reason the switch to plastic was ordered was dents and damage to aluminum hardhats. You tend to throw them in the rig after work, or I do, and sometimes fling them in the pickup bed with the other gear. They get dinged up.
A dented hardhat is not a safe hardhat. I've seen some terribly dented ones worn on logging jobs, and ones where the "clever" wearer has deliberately bent the brim up. If a safety inspector showed up, those folks would be fined, but there aren't many safety inspectors.

I don't think a few minor dings and dents really make a tin hat unsafe. If we had to throw them away every time they got a little scratched or scarred we'd be putting on a new hat every other day.

P5301750-1.jpg

I got this one new in '84 and it has a lot of life left in it yet. No point in throwing something away just because it's not pretty any more. It still does the job. Matter of fact it took a pretty good shot at Calistoga last year and all it did was tear the suspension a little. I think a plastic hat would have shattered.

My aluminum one has dents in It mainly from tossing it at an operator that didn't pay attention it'll give me good live till the aluminum piece falls out of the bottom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think a few minor dings and dents really make a tin hat unsafe. If we had to throw them away every time they got a little scratched or scarred we'd be putting on a new hat every other day.

P5301750-1.jpg

I got this one new in '84 and it has a lot of life left in it yet. No point in throwing something away just because it's not pretty any more. It still does the job. Matter of fact it took a pretty good shot at Calistoga last year and all it did was tear the suspension a little. I think a plastic hat would have shattered.
Man; that thing has got some history behind it.:D:cool:

you all about got me to the point of ordering one. gonna be weird at first, i never wore one in 25 years........well, i changed cutting style and that worked out well......

The aluminum ones are good to pound on with sticks or what have you when you come upon an unaware bear. And you hope it runs in the other direction.

no bears here......well one a couple years ago. they said he walked the bridge or swam......i don't believe that, i bet they put him here. i bet he was glad to get out of here lol.

P5301750-1.jpg

That was indeed a pretty good shot Bob. If you were standing in a slightly different spot things would have turned out a bit differently. I agree that a plastic hat would have probably shattered from that hit too...

There's a reason structural helmets were never made of metal, and started as hardened leather instead.

Aluminum structural firefighting helmets were made in the U.S. from the 1920s until 1987. Cairn's Senator and Clifton lines being two examples.

Leather is traditional in the U.S. but not Europe were metal helmets were common and often kept brightly polished. Not uncommon to see pics of French firefighters today wearing bright, polished helmets which have a decorative nickel plating over a modern "plastic" guts.

shooting3-e1420631270283.jpg

Aluminum structural firefighting helmets were made in the U.S. from the 1920s until 1987. Cairn's Senator and Clifton lines being two examples.

Leather is traditional in the U.S. but not Europe were metal helmets were common and often kept brightly polished. Not uncommon to see pics of French firefighters today wearing bright, polished helmets which have a decorative nickel plating over a modern "plastic" guts.

shooting3-e1420631270283.jpg

That's great, but like 2dogs said, it's stupid. Mais les Français ne sont pas connus pour être sauf, tu connais?

Nah the French are actually pretty smart in my experience, but I don't want my hat to possibly be energized.

It's my recollection that Weyerhaeuser's ban on tin hats in the 90's was done in order to keep the rules consistent between the woods and the mills; no metal in an electrical safety area makes sense, but it pissed all of us guys in the field off to have to switch to plastic lids for no good reason.

It's my recollection that Weyerhaeuser's ban on tin hats in the 90's was done in order to keep the rules consistent between the woods and the mills; no metal in an electrical safety area makes sense, but it pissed all of us guys in the field off to have to switch to plastic lids for no good reason.

That's cause you isn't an ingineere. You forgot about lightning, the bright sun (oh wait your in Warshington huh?), fireflys, the aluminium shortage, and ...stuff.

The aluminum ones are good to pound on with sticks or what have you when you come upon an unaware bear. And you hope it runs in the other direction.
When in a situation like that with a bear, you're supposed to throw the hat or a rock at your partner.
That way the bear knows who's side your on.

I wear a china hat, last year I got hit by a limb, knocked me down, don't know if I was knocked out or not, I laid there for a while, then thought well, I'm still alive, no broken bones (my wrist was numb) my hard hat brim was bent flat against my face. Bought it home, put on the anvil and hammered the brim back. Wish now I would have taken a picture of it, still use it. Limb was abought 30 feet long and about 5 inches ar but, if iI had been wearing a regular narrow brim h. hat I probably would have been killed. Before anybody says to look before you cut, I did and I have been in the woods for 52 years just had a headache for a couple days and a sore wrist, poor saw was under the limb running about quarter throttle handle bar was bent a little., closest I ever came to turning in my axe

Latest posts

Back