aluminum vs plastic forestry helmets

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sirbuildalot

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
As I get older I realize safety is more and more important. I have always liked the looks of the aluminum full brim helmets, but have never used one. I have used the plastic helmets with built in face mesh shield and earmuffs in the past.

I am looking to order one for me and one for a birthday present for my brother. Are there any real advantages from one to the other with aluminum vs. plastic?

As I get older I realize safety is more and more important. I have always liked the looks of the aluminum full brim helmets, but have never used one. I have used the plastic helmets with built in face mesh shield and earmuffs in the past.

I am looking to order one for me and one for a birthday present for my brother. Are there any real advantages from one to the other with aluminum vs. plastic?
put this in the forestry and logging forum.. youll get wayyy more reponses.....

I have both. I prefer the protection, from saw dust and limbs, the face mask of the plastic helmet has to offer. However, the problem is I sweat like a pig and the steel mesh mask is usually rusted out in no time. Therefore, I use the aluminum full brim more, as i think it offers more impact protection and it has a wider brim to help keep the sun from baking my ears and neck.

I don't use a helmet unless I am working overhead or I am dropping trees, or, around somebody else who is working overhead (such as a tree service dropping limbs or dropping trees). i don't really see a need for it otherwise. Most of the time my scrounges are already on the ground.

Aluminum is the best heat conductor there is. Plastic is not. An aluminum bucket on your head is like wearing an oven on your head. Plastic would be cooler on the old skull then aluminum.

Aluminum is the best heat conductor there is. Plastic is not. An aluminum bucket on your head is like wearing an oven on your head. Plastic would be cooler on the old skull then aluminum.

Have you ever actually worn one? Every review on the Skullbucket type hats regarding heat says they are cooler in the warm weather, not hotter.

Have you ever actually worn one? Every review on the Skullbucket type hats regarding heat says they are cooler in the warm weather, not hotter.

I'm sure working conditions and environment will determine witch is best, but a simple test will prove my point. Place a plastic bowl and an aluminum bowl out it the direct sun, and see witch gets hotter to the touch. Same for when it's cold, put the same plastic and aluminum bowl on a cold day and see which gets colder. If it's extremely cold plastic will shatter, where aluminum will not.

If it's extremely cold plastic will shatter, where aluminum will not.
There are helmets specifically designed for high heat environments (steel mills, kilns, foundries, etc.), and cold weather work (think arctic drilling). Not always easy to tell them apart without looking at the label.

Basic $12 'hard hat' does not meet either of these temp extremes, but is a good deal for 'normal ' temperature ranges.

Philbert

I personally know two guys who died from getting hit in the head by trees/big branches. Both in their 50's at the time and experienced at cutting wood. Not saying a hard hat would have made the difference, but it certainly wouldn't have hurt. Even a small branch could kill you if falling from 60 feet above you. No matter how tough you are, the wood is tougher.

Latest posts

Back