aluminum vs plastic hard hats

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haven’t seen it mentioned here yet;

Working the construction sites in the dead of summer (upper Midwest here) with my old plastic on, I would create my own weather inside the hat. Sun would beat on that translucent orange plastic and cook the inside. Any rest break outside the fence where I could take the lid off was always welcomed. Haven’t experienced the problem with aluminum.

That said, I was trench-man/pipe fitter so I was in the hole on backfill stabilizing pipe while having stone/sand dumped over/on/around me. Plastic made that process a LOOOOTTTTTTTT less noisy.

Wide brim was always the way. More shelter from sun/rain and more protection of the neck/shoulders during said backfills. I won’t comment on limbs/branches deflection, but it sure helps against crud raining down from swinging buckets.

With tree work I’m back into metal for the heat/weather reason and from advice of pro’s regarding visibility of damage. I keep 3 in my truck both metal and plastic. Depends on the day and situation. Any hit I take, I swap hats immediately and then inspect the hit one later. I suggest keeping 2 on hand for that reason. Cost is a moot point given how many times hard hats have saved my butt.

Oh and the people who wear hard hats backwards are always the first to get hurt. I still don't understand the fad.

Just about lost one of my MacT's today... winds gusting upwards of 50mph, had to fight a little to stay in the loader seat, muh hat got blown off and went 40' or so before hitting the ground... wind was affecting the logs and loader even, but managed to getter done and retrieve muh hat, the suspension got knocked loose, and some of the metal clips were bent from the impact.

Back