Am I an Arborist? Australian rules...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spydoo

Reaction score
Hi

I'm an ISA certified arborist. ISA certification isn't mapped to the AQF, the Australian educational standards. That may well be at least partly because of politics, since the ISA kicked the Australian chapter out.

Where do I stand now? Are there rules about who can call themselves an arborist in Australia? If so, do I qualify? Does anyone here know about this issue?

If you work, study, or are otherwise involved with trees then you are an arborist no matter where you are standing. All other credentials only denote what level of arborist you are. Well, not entirely because there are plenty of people who are licensed up the wazzo and perform at a low level.

If you work, study, or are otherwise involved with trees then you are an arborist no matter where you are standing. All other credentials only denote what level of arborist you are. Well, not entirely because there are plenty of people who are licensed up the wazzo and perform at a low level.

Is that according to Australian law? I'm looking to find out whether there are laws in Australia about who can call themselves an arborist.

Is that according to Australian law? I'm looking to find out whether there are laws in Australia about who can call themselves an arborist.

I dunno, if anyone asks if you are an arborist smack em in the head with a dictionary, that's kinda what I feel like doing to do.

Gday mate ;),

As far as laws go there is no law against calling yourself an arborist even if you don't have an AQF status....

Thanks, Tidy. I'm looking at AQF now, but wanted to make sure I wasn't false advertising while I'm getting my quals.

No worries, here in Oz there is no formalized register or licensing body for tree contractors, legally anybody can work trees "professionally". However the current situation is starting to be tightened up with local councils attempting to regulate ( operating outside their jurisdiction) by advising residents that contractors must be qualified, maybe 3% of residential clients will ask to see qualifications. That being said there is a grey area as there are " Codes of Practice ", these codes can technically become law if an incident where to be investigated...
If I were you i would get in touch with TAFE (technical training institution) and see about having your quals recognized as an AQF qual.... [email protected]

Back