Am I doing something wrong

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mingom from what I have seen here you have done nothing but listen to everyones advice. Get the draft blower checked, then the chimney for blockage. The amount of creoste you described makes me think one or the other or both is blocked to some degree. Good luck.

Went out and borrowed a clamp on meter from a buddy, couldn't get any reading at all on the blower with it running. I pulled all the wires out of their covered box, found 2 yellows and a black wired together and three blacks wired together some from the incoming 120 v line and some up to the solenoid. Every wire I clamped on didn't register a thing. I tried clamping on, and around each. Not sure what is up with that.

Just read your WHOLE thread!

Hello

I just read your whole thread......have a few questions/comments.

Have you looked inside your boiler? If your HX was plugged solid, take a look at the HX surface of your boiler. As little as .030" of lime scale can have a significant insulating effect, resulting in poor heat transfer in the boiler and requiring overfiring to keep the water hot (i.e. leaving the boiler door open.)

I didn't see an answer to this question....?? All though...getting the fire to get hot when it's needed is the current issue....

Sorry this may sound stupid, but I'm thinking this could be a major part of the issue. I decided to try and clean out my boiler as much as I could, I shoveled out two garbage cans full of ash and coals. In doing so, I found that the edges/outer part of the boiler chamber were coated completely with about 1 to 1-1/2 inch of creosote/nasty buildup. I'm assuming this is a major restriction on heat transfer. My plan is to try and burn down my fire as much as I can, shovel out all the ashes and coals, scrape what is possible while its still warm. Then I'll build a good fire back up and keep the ash level down way before the door (as of today it was 2-3 inches above the sill height)

Any insight?

IMO...that's a lot of ash!

I don't have an outdoor burner....but I do have an add on wood furnace in my basement.....I've found.....that even if I don't feel like going through the mess of taking out the ashes....I pay for it because I don't get the heat from my furnace. FWIW.....

think the stack could be partially blocked. This afternoon I ran the temp up to 181 with the door open, closed the door, then went to open it a minute or two later to toss a piece of scrap in and literally the gases/smoke blew up out the door probably 4-5 feet out the door easy, good thing I was low or it would have got me. Unfortunately, the smoke baffle is locked right up, I can only get it to move an inch or two so I think its gummed up good.

Could you try this again....but after the door has been closed for a while....(allowing the gases to build up) turn on your draft blower.....allowing enough time....carefully open the door..... IMHO....you shouldn't have the gas build up......I could be wrong.....

Burned a creosote log yesterday, looking for a brush setup to run through the chimney. I've let the firebox run down to very minimal amount of ashes/coals. I haven't had a chance to pull the blower apart and clean it. I might pick up an extra blower Monday from Grainger just to have, but I'm still stumped on whats causing my fire not to burn correctly. I did manage to get the smoke bypass rod free, and pulled out 4-5 full shovelfuls of crap that fell out with it. Who knew how long that rod was? Wish I had been there for the start up this season to have made sure it was clean.

You need to check the path the intake air has to take from the blower to the combustion chamber? I'm sensing a blockage someplace.... Or a fan that's not doing it's job. Could the 'fan blade'/impeller be loose on the motor shaft which wouldn't allow full torque to be applied?

It does sound like everything is/was plugged up! I wonder how much more crap is hiding in between your smoke damper and smoke outlet to the chimney? Are there any clean outs on this unit?

I'm betting next year this thing is going to be 'spotless' before you have to fire it up!

I didn't see your answer to the question if you have a water softener.....

I live in MN.....If I wasn't burning wood, I'd be going through 3-6 fills of my 500 gallon propane tank per heating season (depending on the weather).... I can keep my LP furnace off and the house is at 70 degrees! I own my tank.....the only reason I have some fuel in it is to heat domestic water and as a heat backup.

There is definitely a 'lag' time in the reheating process!

If you were next door...I'd be over .........you're just a few more 'doors' down! LoL!

Went out and borrowed a clamp on meter from a buddy, couldn't get any reading at all on the blower with it running. I pulled all the wires out of their covered box, found 2 yellows and a black wired together and three blacks wired together some from the incoming 120 v line and some up to the solenoid. Every wire I clamped on didn't register a thing. I tried clamping on, and around each. Not sure what is up with that.

Are you using the meter correctly? I've never used one..(I want one....just haven't bought one yet).....I've seen wires looped a few times through the clamp when taking a reading....???? I believe this is a question for your buddy.

I did manage to get the smoke bypass rod free, and pulled out 4-5 full shovelfuls of crap that fell out with it. Who knew how long that rod was? Wish I had been there for the start up this season to have made sure it was clean.

I'm not sure what the smoke bypass rod is. However, if your smoke has to pass by it to exit, and you pulled 4-5 shovels of crap out of its area, then it sounds like you have found a factor in your air issue. Be sure to finish cleaning out the chimney/exhaust area.

That said, I still think its an intake issue based on your previous explanations. If the fire burns fine with the door cracked, but doesn't burn fine with the door closed/damper open/vent running, then it certainly signifies a air intake issue.

I cannot comment on the electrical readings or lack thereof. Sorry. I'd make sure the damper/air intake is clean and functioning properly. I'd test, inspect, repair and/or replace the fan if I had an doubts about it.

Then I'd fire it up, watch and wait...

Good luck. I hope this cures it.

I have a woodmaster 5500 and have no complaints, it heats my 3500 sq ft house with no problem, I do need to have a big fire if I am heating all 3 zones at once, and to fill up the old claw foot tub with hot hot water I usally lower the thermostats so they are not calling for heat. When my blower/draft kick on the smoke exits the chimney in a nice round shaft of smoke untill about 3 ft from the chimney then the smoke kind of dissapates depending on the wind. That shows that the blowers are working. The rest of the time smoke just kind of lingers out the stack. You should see a big diff in the smoke out the stack when the blower is running.

I appreciate the comments guys. Think I had a bad meter, tested at work this morning on some high load stuff, couldn't get a reading, so I'll steal our Fluke for the night. I also borrowed some brushes for a chimney last night, and hopefully will get up to sweeping today or tomorrow. I'm thinking about picking up a new blower just to have as a spare, I can always bring it back to grainger.

Can your chimney be removed from the furnace. That way you can reach inside and feel around to see whats in there.

Still running... its giving some heat to the house at least, just not recovering quick

Still haven't gotten up to sweep the chimney I need to borrow a taller ladder to get up on the roof to get to the stack. But the blower seems to work fine, if I crack the door to give it some oxygen and a place for the smoke to pour out. It seems like if I shut the door and open it the smoke had smother the fire. Thanks again for all the help, hope to sweep tomorrow if I can get a ladder and a way to stay up on the roof haha.

With the door open most smoke comes out the door, minimal up the stack. Shut the door, see more up the stack, fire seems to smother. I open the door and can get the fire ripping, up to 187 right now, Shut the door temp starts to drop, major smoke buildup when I open the door next, no matter if the blower is going or not, and/or the smoke damper bar is in or out.

That's definitely a draft problem, something has to be blocking the chimney for you to be getting smoke back out the door when the draft door and fan are running. I don't know what happens when that handle is pulled out, but I assume something has to have become disconnected and partially blocked the chimney and most likely collected creosote around it, with smoldering fires I assume the creosote may be pretty thick by now. Get that cleaned up and you'll have a stove you never knew you had. Good luck with your endeavors tomorrow and be safe.

Kyle

yep, that's a chimney/exhaust blockage. in your earlier posts, it sounded like an intake issue. now you are describing an exhaust issue. you can have smoke come out the open door even if there is no chimney blockage. but if the smoke prefers to exit through the door rather than the chimney it means there is resistance to airflow.

WOW eight pages to get to this point-------communication skills lacking a bit.

Won't be long you'll be an official woodburner.

You plan on cutting or buying wood? Be careful with a chainsaw if you get one.

Still haven't gotten up to sweep the chimney I need to borrow a taller ladder to get up on the roof to get to the stack. But the blower seems to work fine, if I crack the door to give it some oxygen and a place for the smoke to pour out. It seems like if I shut the door and open it the smoke had smother the fire. Thanks again for all the help, hope to sweep tomorrow if I can get a ladder and a way to stay up on the roof haha.

Where are you in Southern ME? I got lots of ladders!:laugh:

So i got a chance to run a rod down the stack, there is some serious buildup in there, I broke up as much of it as I could, I've been trying to get a good hot hot fire going today to burn it up. The woodmaster seems to have a square flange mated to a round pipe, seems kinda foolish. I'm replacing the blower also since its full of junk, I got one for cheap through grainger. Anyone have an idea of how they are wired up? Pulling it apart it seems to have 2 yellow wires and 4 black wires (for the blower and the flap solenoid) My new one has a white and a black ( both labeled line)

I did thanks, sorry I haven't had time to post lately. Culprit was a completely blocked off stack and a blower that was on its way out. Thanks for everyones help! I'll be sure to help when I can!

Latest posts

Back