Am I onto something here or just, on something?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
To preface, I can't stand the Alpine Butterfly/alpinstahl.

This is something I came up with, that works, and always comes loose no matter how tight it gets. Been using it for years, without ever having it fail, slip, or get stuck.

Basically its a clove hitch around a bight, or in truth my completely botched attempt at an alpinstahl from a really bad how to book... But it does I feel work better then the original.

Anyhow, honest opinions please.

Not a knot I've ever heard of or seen before. played around with it some and it looks like a combination or hybrid of a Figure-8 Loop, Butterfly Loop, and a Bowline. have you noticed any instability in directional use? better or worse from one direction of pull, the other, or even both ends with no actual tension on the loop?

None I can notice. It slipped a little bit once, on a new rope, but just the once and only a few inches, same rope i had a bowline slip with as well. (actually I think it was the same pull?) So I've taken to putting a figure 8 on the tail for bowlines on new rope, but not bothering on this one, cause it could have been may imagination.

use it a bunch for 3-1 type stuff, or just for putting a loop in the middle to hook a shackle/biner to

Never seen a Figure 8 loop

Out of habit I tend to pull in the direction the loop flops towards, but haven't really noticed any difference.

Only a few times have I pulled the ends with nothing in the middle, i prefer to untie anything not being used, but didn't have any issues with it.

Ya ever work with a guy that never unties anything or can't understand basic knots so his lines are all ****ed off and you end up just cutting **** to save some of the line?

I Hate that..

Only a few times have I pulled the ends with nothing in the middle, i prefer to untie anything not being used, but didn't have any issues with it.

Ya ever work with a guy that never unties anything or can't understand basic knots so his lines are all ****ed off and you end up just cutting **** to save some of the line?

I Hate that..
I own my own business so I can't say I've ever worked with anyone like that but I have made a few "hatchet knots" in my days. Worst one was about 25'in on a brand new rope.

Also if it is another already named knot, then so be it, though I've yet to encounter it anywhere.
I think we should christen it the "northmanlogging hitch" Like you I am not a fan of the Alpine, and this looks like a solid mid-line knot. Thanks for sharing. Patent that sh****t and you just might be able to quit your day job.

You probably "can"...but how would you protect it or monetize it? On second thought the fact you can't monetize may mean they'd reject the patent application.
I think the enforcement end would have to be left to the Knot Police, which is a division of the Safety/Tree Police.

Back