ArboristSite.com Sponsors

1. Please see this post Click Here Please ask questions if you have them!! I hope this is going to be great for us all.
    Dismiss Notice

Am I over pricing myself to split logs?

Discussion in 'Arborist 101' started by Eagle90301, Sep 13, 2018.

1. Eagle90301

Eagle90301 ArboristSite Lurker

I decided a few months ago I was going to start a log splitting business to earn a little extra cash. I decided for now I’d travel up to 10miles each way. I was going to charge 35/hr to split and 45/hr to cut and split wood. I had 3 people contact me so far.
    the first one wanted a price to travel 20 miles each way (1hr each way)split and stack the wood I quoted them $300 they were happy but have not done job due to rainy weather.

Second person( bottom photo) wanted a flat fee. I asked for a description of what was needed. They said cut and split about 10logs 9’ long and 1.5-2’ diamitor. I asked for either address or photos to see what I was working with. I decided on $300 to unstack Logs cut to length, and split. I eplained I needed to charge more to carefully get logs off the pile. this job is about 20 minutes from me. Am I on the right track with pricing?

The 3rd person has a small pile about 30 minutes from me and was ok with the $35/hr to split just waiting on weather.

Attached Files:

2. Little Al

Little Al Addicted to ArboristSite

Our firewood sales ; splitting is standard in the Cubic Metre price .Logs left in the round cut to 30 or40 cm's are cheaper we charge 50 euros per cubic metre if 3 or more metres are purchased at any one time this is for oak approx 12" in the round & split 3/4 pieces dependent on customers requirement This is only a sideline to the main logging business so its secondary job

3. lknchoppers

lknchoppers ArboristSite Operative

I would say you are doing good. If they are hiring you then you are in the Ballpark.

4. ropensaddle

ropensaddle Feel Lucky

Set your price based on your time and labor and wear and tear they either agree or not. As far as what I'm seeing looks like a cord each first two piles a maybe 2 in last. I tell folks all the time that the wood is free the labor is what i charge for "just saying"

Ryan'smilling likes this.
  5. ropensaddle

ropensaddle Feel Lucky

I would tell them cord price and a true cord will take you minimum 4 to 5 hours to cut split and stack .

Ryan'smilling likes this.
  6. Ryan'smilling

Ryan'smilling Addicted to ArboristSite

You need an understanding of your costs, as I said in your other thread. You can't just judge how well you're pricing things based on how excited people seem to hire you. If you're only making $1 an hour, you can't make up for that by doing a lot of hours...

CacaoBoy likes this.
  7. ChoppyChoppy

ChoppyChoppy Addicted to ArboristSite

We charge $30/hr per person just to stack wood. If I had to drag equipment out to do a job, it's $135/hr per piece of iron.

lknchoppers likes this.
  8. lknchoppers

lknchoppers ArboristSite Operative

This past spring one of my customers had some trees cut, looked to be about 2 cords or a little more. He wanted me to come split it. I gave him an upfront price of $250 and he would have to help. I ran the splitter and he basically fed it. We finished in 4 hours, no stacking just threw it in a pile. He was happy and so was I. I towed the splitter about 30 minutes drive to get there.

Jakers likes this.