Amelanchier Canadensis Issues

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mculik5

Reaction score
Hi. New to this site. Thanks in advance for the help.

I have an amelanchier canadensis in my backyard. It's about 20' tall, and it seems to be having issues. I don't know the first thing about trees, so hoping folks here can help...

In the spring of 2017, the tree bloomed white flowers beautifully (see picture). Since then, it hasn't bloomed, and it doesn't get full of leaves like most trees in the spring. It does get some leaves, and definitely gets berries, but the leaves are sparse compared to most trees. Furthermore, the leaves are falling off now, like it's fall...

I've attached a few current pictures, including one of a leaf, as well as the old picture from when it bloomed in 2017.

Any ideas on what I should be doing to revive it? More water? Fertilizer? Fungicide?

Thanks.

IMG-1110.jpg

IMG-8954-copy.jpg

IMG-0723-copy.jpg

IMG-0809-copy.jpg

From what I can tell by the photos you tree appears to have cedar apple rust. I can see in the background that the fruits are spikey and orange in color. Cedar apple rust typically isn't that harmful on trees but if the disease continues to build year after year the loss in foliage can cause tree stress and decline. The root base doesn't look all that swell either. Heres a link for a copper based fungicide that you should spray on the tree in the early spring right as the leaflets begin to emerge but are still clustered. cupro-5000-df-fungicide-p-4525.html Apply again two weeks later, then once more two weeks after that. Thats a total of three times two weeks apart. This should signifigantly reduce the amount of cedar apple rust fungal spores on the leaf tissue. As the leaves fall to the ground this summer and autumn make sure to rake and discard or burn. You don't want to chop up the leaves with the mower or anything similar. Those downed leaves contain the fungal spores that will end up returning to the leaves in the spring as the rain comes down. The raindrops hit the soil and send the spores upwards and on the emerging leaves of your tree. The copper covered leaves will not allow an environment that is favorable for fungal growth and in return you should see much less infestation. Do this for a few years in a row and you should see significant results.

Nearby Cedar trees help to spread this fungal disease to susceptible apple, hawthorn, serviceberry trees, etc. If you do have cedar trees nearby you may what to spray them as well. They can be as far as a few miles away so if you don't have them someone close does and there isn't much to do about that. Knowledge is key so google cedar apple rust and you can find a plethora of information regarding your sick trees.

Best

Thanks! Took some samples to the local extension office and they said they same.

Latest posts

Back