American Chestnut logs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dont make firewood outta it!!!

There is one left in Ky. that I have heard the story of .....There will never be another live American Chestnut log to make lumber from ,,only the ones out there in barns,,buildings,,what you found,,and thats gold my friend....
There is sayings that they are tryin to come out with a blight resistance hybird but still will never be the true thing my friend....Dont let it go to waste if you can save something frm your find.....
I don't know what's the "true thing", but I know a guy that has quite a few American Chestnut tree's and sells the nuts every fall... They look like the true thing to me...

SR

I don't know what's the "true thing", but I know a guy that has quite a few American Chestnut tree's and sells the nuts every fall... They look like the true thing to me...

SR
Very likely the Dunstan chestnut which is about 93% American. I have a couple of them planted 3 years ago

SR
When I was a kid we had a forest that had been logged of AC before the blight hit. The old stumps would throw off suckers that would get about as big around as your leg and 20' high, then die off. With all of our Red Oaks dying off, it would be a noble cause to replant the Oak forests with the hybrid Chestnuts. This is the first time I've welcomed a nine year old thread coming back to life. I think I'll contact the American Chestnut Foundation and see what they have in the reforestation process. I have 3 farms that add up to about 500 acres that I cut dead Red Oaks off of. If there is any incentive for the owners to plant, they may do it.

When I was a kid we had a forest that had been logged of AC before the blight hit. The old stumps would throw off suckers that would get about as big around as your leg and 20' high, then die off. With all of our Red Oaks dying off, it would be a noble cause to replant the Oak forests with the hybrid Chestnuts. This is the first time I've welcomed a nine year old thread coming back to life. I think I'll contact the American Chestnut Foundation and see what they have in the reforestation process. I have 3 farms that add up to about 500 acres that I cut dead Red Oaks off of. If there is any incentive for the owners to plant, they may do it.

Right now if you give them $300 ACF will give you 4 seeds to plant!!!Right now I think the Dunstan chestnut is the most realistic thing currently available at about $20/tree and you are gonna want to put protectors around them @$5 each. Long term, I am hoping the USDA will soon release the gmo version which has been modified by inserting a wheat gene and appears to have the ability to neutralize the blight and should be fairly economical after the initial ramp up period.

Thanks Woody, I read quite a bit of their literature several years ago, and just skimmed some today. Seems 4 seeds is a pretty chinchy way to reforest the Eastern US. The area we used to see the suckers growing on the stumps is all Mc Mansions now. I'd love to see if there are any left.

There is a grove of American chestnut in Wisconsin that was brought here by the pioneers that never was exposed to the blight so there still are living healthy trees that are being propagated. It's close to La Crosse but I don't know exactly where.

Back