amsoil at 42:1 or Belray 32:1

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KG441c

Keith
Reaction score
Been breaking my new 441c in with Stihl Ultra at 50:1. im considering Belray at 32:1 at Masterminds recommendations or Amsoil Saber 2oz+1oz Stihl Ultra at 42:1 that someone else recommended. Ive ran Amsoil many yrs with Mercury race division topends and Amsoil with no problems at all. Any inputwith the mix im.considering would be appreciated

What i get from reading the threads is.....
Any quality oil is good at 40:1,peace of mind at 32:1 if you have a ported saw.
EPA recomends 50:1 or less,but they don't have a dog in the fight.It's not like they will send you a fixed saw if it breaks while running their mix's.
I don't have a ported saw yet,my mix's have always been more than 50:1,after reading the info in Masterminds threads about the 066 bearing failier and the change in his signature line,all my mix's will be 40:1 or a little more.
I do have a few oldtimers that parts are getting harder to find,so using more oil will be a bit of insurance when playing with them.
That's my .05 cents
Thomas

I have been running the Amsoil Sabre at 40:1. Mastermind changed his signature to reflect 40:1 mixture is OK. TLandrum told me to run 40:1 mix in the ported saws.

Unless someone can come up with some factual basis that the Amsoil Sabre @ 40:1 is inferior to other similar synthetic 2 stroke oils, I will run it at half the cost or less than similar premium oils.

I have been running the Amsoil Sabre at 40:1. Mastermind changed his signature to reflect 40:1 mixture is OK. TLandrum told me to run 40:1 mix in the ported saws.

Unless someone can come up with some factual basis that the Amsoil Sabre @ 40:1 is inferior to other similar synthetic 2 stroke oils, I will run it at half the cost or less than similar premium oils.

I agree with you on the 40 : 1.

However, let me play devil's advocate with you. Do you have any proof that Amsoil Saber is any better than other synthetic oil and it is not cheaper than say Woodland Pro?

I agree with you on the 40 : 1.

However, let me play devil's advocate with you. Do you have any proof that Amsoil Saber is any better than other synthetic oil and it is not cheaper than say Woodland Pro?

I don't have any proof that Amsoil Sabre is better and nothing to show that it's not.. I do run Amsoil gear lube in my boat outdrives and do run Amsoil oil in my boat and vehicle engines and do an Oil Analysis when I change the oil. The oil Analysis is from an independent lab and I have been very pleased with the results from the Amsoil products. Can't see why their 2 stroke oil would be of any lesser quality than their other oils.
It sure would be nice if there was an oil analysis test on 2 stroke oil residue.

I've been running Husky oil at 40:1 forever just like I ran Merc oil in my outboards. Not long after the syn oil came out I switched to it and never looked back. My Husky 50 Rancher looks brand new inside and I bought it new in 84, I think, getting old can't remember...

45-1 Amsoil here in everything I own. Might step it up to 40-1 though after reading so much on this back and forth.

I use to run opti-oil in FL in all my two stroke stuff in florida one packet to one gallon and I think it was was leaner on oil than 50-1 and I never had a failure then.

Chainsaws work much harder it would seem than blowers and string trimmer so 40-1 it will be.

I run the Woodlands Pro at somewhere around 45 : 1 without any problems. I did switch to the Poulan Pro full synthetic from Wal Mart. Its says HOP on the bottle so I'm assuming its Husky synthetic. I just bought 2 24 oz. bottles of Silkolene synthetic pre mix on closeout at the Kawasaki dealer near me. I'll run any synthetic that's bargain price. If I don't like it I'll won't reuse it.

I'm not a "mix two oils type" (?), but why not? I'm guessing chemistry of some may affect the solubility of others? In that case, how careful should one be? For instance, if switching brands of mix, and dumping half a tank of X with half a tank of Y?

I'm pretty consistant with Echo Power Blend, but occasionally pick up any synthetic on sale. Is there a more specific "avoid mixing synthetic with Dino? Or no Dino & bean oil? Or ?

Interestingly another active oil thread here is in fact advising the use of bean oil and synthetic mixed. With a rather well educated proponent at that.

I'm not a "mix two oils type" (?), but why not? I'm guessing chemistry of some may affect the solubility of others? In that case, how careful should one be? For instance, if switching brands of mix, and dumping half a tank of X with half a tank of Y?
the
I'm pretty consistant with Echo Power Blend, but occasionally pick up any synthetic on sale. Is there a more specific "avoid mixing synthetic with Dino? Or no Dino & bean oil? Or ?

Interestingly another active oil thread here is in fact advising the use of bean oil and synthetic mixed. With a rather well educated proponent at that.
Why not saber 32:1?

Exaxtly.

Exactly. The person recommending this mixture is very knowlegeable and i respect his opinion he give me on the mix. Cant get ahold of him to get the reasoning behind the mix. Wish Mastermind would come in with his opinion on the mix i mentioned

I'm not a lab chemist or have a billion dollar company bankrolling my research and development, so I run a single-brand two stroke oil at an appropriate ratio for my saws. It's been done on millions of peoples saws so why try to "guess" at a better mix using multiple brands together unless that is something you just enjoy doing.

Just an aside, as some implied that there are those who have described Amsoil as an inferior oil. I don't think I ever got that message. I think all I have heard negative relative to Amsoil is the suggestion of running ultra lean oil/fuel mixtures. My opinion for what its worth, (What's ANY opinion worth from those who don't have a vested interest!) is any good synthetic at 32:1, even 40:1 is going to be fine. I've run Bel-Ray simply because I have had very good results and because I get a clean exhaust area even when I mix at my catch all 32:1 ratio's. When I can't find Bel-Ray, I use the Husqvarna Synthetic at 32:1 and so far so good! I certainly don't have as much time or run hours on the equipment yet on the Husqvarna brand as I do with Bel-Ray (Since the 1970's with dirt bike 2-strokes!!) but its (Husqvarna/Jonsered brand oils) sold & stocked both at TLC and Lowes so its very available...My bet is Amsoil would be fine too, sometimes the pick doesn't always based on pure science, just ball park the Science and pick the brand that matches ratings and is available!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back