another 08S restoration

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1hander

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
this is where i am...im hoping the pictures will not disappear.
i let my son do the painting as i gave him instruction..he did the 015L pieces at the same time..
i had put the cases together but discovered i was missing bearing shimas in the crank bearings so i had to tear it apart, waiting on shims and another case gasket. so i pumped the brakes
20200218_123647.jpg
man it makes me sick how quick this kid picks things up..like i used too LOL
20200202_160955.jpg
i went ahead and started with the carburetor rebuild but found that it had recently been rebuilt.
when i got it, it would idle but not rev, but i found that there was a big plug of wood fiber inside the
fuel filter pickup. and the governor spring was on the lowest tension setting..

the only things i replaced were the diaphragm , gaskets , and pump membrane . the needle, housing and needle seat were in good condition.
20200215_184832.jpg
i have ordered a new throttle shaft. this one has a huge amount of slop in it and is definitely leaking air
and im waiting on that part as well, but i got the rest of the carb assembled , blew all ports and passages out
the check os still intact and working, metering spring and arm appear to be set properly. i sprayed off everything with carb cleaner before assembly.. the carb was acruddy brown color, i let all the parts soack in a 1/2 and 1/2 mixture of ATF and laquer thinner. then soap bath, with toothbrush and blow dry..
20200218_202608.jpg

and this is where i sit till more parts arrive on friday... i still have not purchased a bar and chain, and i think ill leave that for last. i got my fingers crossed the pictures will stay
im varying the picture sizes to see if size is why some pics are dissapearing, so the pic sizes will be changing

daguumet... what do you see
i still em from my end, they are on google photos, im clickin on the pic then right clicking and using that address to put in the pic uploader here

I just hit the upload file tab at the bottom when I'm creating post, then select files and photos come up on my phone. Tap the pic you want, wait for it to load, then select thumbnail or full image. Wait til last if loading multiples, then select display every image as either thumbnail or full image.1215191709_HDR.jpg

ok .. i got it now, im an idiot... i was trying to not be a bandwidth hog and use up lots of space

20200220_180757.jpg 20200220_182247.jpg Got the throttle shaft in today.. The lock washers were 8n pretty sad shape with little to no tension in them and I was afraid that one of the screws on the butterflies throttle or choke might come loose and going into the cylinder which would be a bad thing so I went ahead and used just a tiny bit of red Loctite on all of the screws that hold all the little levers together and tightened and everything up so it should be ready to go

The small divet on the throttle plate gave me fits trying to get it in there and position correctly with one hand

Your son did a very nice job painting those parts - looks great! Since you have the use of only 1 hand, I bet a chainsaw vise would make your tasks a bit easier.

A chainsaw vise is on the list... I'll pass the compliment on to my boy... He got the fun job.. I got to strip and prep them.. Man what PITA that starter cover was with all those little fins.. The 015l was a nightmare as well.. That old paint was really on there man

The red was matched from the old one.. I did my best to polish the best looking area of the old paint to get a bit of shine out of it.. So the color match contraption could get a good match.. Unfortunately there was no color code or number to speak of.. They just called it red.. Gray.. And orange for the 015l

Im having fun with this.. The biggest thing I'm not liking right now is the missing CAD plating from the screws

I'm seriously considering getting a plating setup to redo them.. There are quite a few pieces that need the cad coating redone and it would be cheaper to replate them than buy all the bits with fresh coatings on them

I got a couple bits in today.. The correct parts
I've also figured out that aftermarket crank gaskets are at least twice as thick as the stihl part number.. Another Big reason for all the crank walk it had.. excessive Crank walk is not good for a saw because of turning it on its side and such.. With gyroscopic forces acting on the rod bearings..at rpm
something aftermarket gasket makers may not be taking into account
20200222_143102.jpg
20200222_144734.jpg
Now the trigger lock engages and latches properly. i know this is a bit too much attention to detail, but the trigger had a huge crack in it.. i tend to leave the scars on the casings instead of filling them unless they are huge or really bad, cuz they give the saw its character and each on tells a story of a guy who was havin a bad day..great day, or even getting scratched up and cut by his saw, man it would be cool to hear old saws talk

View attachment 799786 View attachment 799787 Got the throttle shaft in today.. The lock washers were 8n pretty sad shape with little to no tension in them and I was afraid that one of the screws on the butterflies throttle or choke might come loose and going into the cylinder which would be a bad thing so I went ahead and used just a tiny bit of red Loctite on all of the screws that hold all the little levers together and tightened and everything up so it should be ready to go

The small divet on the throttle plate gave me fits trying to get it in there and position correctly with one hand

This is what happens when a saw eats a intake flange nut lol
20191213_195857.jpg

FU##**IN. EHLLL
that's the stuff of nightmares.. I'm scared of that cuz back when I was working on em for the old man.. I forgot to tighten the throttle plate screw completely... I caught it just in time... Man was i sweatin bullets.. I taught my kids when they are working on stuff to imagine the worst possible scenario when it comes to stuff coming loose.. And base your decision on that..

Thanks for the pic.. I don't think that will buff out of that piston

On a side note we successfully modified the weedeater to accept a high lift/duration cam and run nitro methane. And a standalone ecu.. We're in preliminary stages of tuning and we're testing the two step and rolling antilag as I type this..lmao

On a side note we successfully modified the weedeater to accept a high lift/duration cam and run nitro methane. And a standalone ecu.. We're in preliminary stages of tuning and we're testing the two step and rolling antilag as I type this..

Don't think I have ever heard a weedeater sound quite that "healthy". How many rpms do you think you will get out of it?

Lol.. I'm not sure.. But there's something wrong with it.... Cold it has 125psi compression... After it warms up.. It stays running and it screams like I've never heard a weeder go after adjusting the carb.. But once I shut it off it won't start and compression has dropped to 50 psi.. Either the cylinder is warped or the ring is collapsing.. Also when were tryi g start it it backfires somethin fierce till it starts...

Check your valve clearances when hot. Maybe throw a timing light on it as well. Any valve spring bind with that wild cam? Valve float?

I love those awesome little experiments lol.

i was just playing with words. its actually just a bad running 2 stroke weedeater,

whats your theory on why it was running like that..i replaced the coil in case the original was crappin out from heat,
only thing i can come up with is it sounded like it was firing every other stroke
maybe because of lack of compression, it was firing every other time..
cause of lack of enough vacuum to pull in fuel every stroke
the crank key is intact, carb is rebuilt , i tested it on weedeater number two and ran perfect
only thing off is the compression when hot.

i was just playing with words. its actually just a bad running 2 stroke weedeater,

whats your theory on why it was running like that..i replaced the coil in case the original was crappin out from heat,
only thing i can come up with is it sounded like it was firing every other stroke
maybe because of lack of compression, it was firing every other time..
cause of lack of enough vacuum to pull in fuel every stroke
the crank key is intact, carb is rebuilt , i tested it on weedeater number two and ran perfect
only thing off is the compression when hot.
Lol I assumed you had a 4 stoke trimmer - that's what I have (Honda). How does the plug look after running? If it was revving super high it is likely very lean.

Latest posts

Back