Another high limb rope saw thread...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stillhunter

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I've got more than a bunch of branches in tall trees I'd like to "prune" and I'm looking at using a rope saw. I have no problem except the time spent to get the line over the branch and I'm pretty good so far w a nut and slingshot. I've never used rope saws but I see some are now made w teeth on both sides of the chain that apparently don't hang up like the old ones. I assume w 2 people pulling at wide angles on the ropes would work better than one/me pulling straight down from the branch. I'm sure I could take down small branches alone but wonder if I could bring down larger 6-10" branches w a helper and a spread more like 45* on the ropes ? I'm also thinking about renting a lift and using it to do the the "pruning" .

I've never used rope saws but I see some are now made w teeth on both sides of the chain that apparently don't hang up like the old ones. I assume w 2 people pulling at wide angles on the ropes would work better than one/me pulling straight down from the branch. I'm sure I could take down small branches alone but wonder if I could bring down larger 6-10" branches w a helper and a spread more like 45* on the ropes ?
I have no personal experience, but since your question piqued my curiosity I went looking. Reviews posted at https://www.amazon.com/Hooyman-Cutting-Trimming-Hunting-Camping/dp/B01D00OLEC include comments "AMAZING - we cut 12" limbs in about 15 minutes each cut. Definitely need 2 people when cutting something this big, but it works great. See the pictures here. 4 cuts and we had all this down in 2 hours." and "the chain would get crimped all the time" and "It cut branches 1" thick without a problem, all bigger sizes the saw kept jamming." On balance, it appears that people who knew what they were doing, and who did not try to use it alone, had good results. The rope used with that one looks like cheap polypropylene, I would think a good braided nylon rope would be better. There is one at https://www.amazon.com/PockeTech-HighLimb2-Inch-High-Chain/dp/B00YHDGYX8 that does not include rope and throw bag, and has what seems like a good observation in one of the reviews -- "Does not work well on large branches. Because of the large radius it tends to lay down on its side and then gets bent. On smaller branches it should work fine because the small radius will force it to stand up correctly."

It sounds like it would be worth trying.

I have no personal experience, but since your question piqued my curiosity I went looking. Reviews posted at https://www.amazon.com/Hooyman-Cutting-Trimming-Hunting-Camping/dp/B01D00OLEC include comments "AMAZING - we cut 12" limbs in about 15 minutes each cut. Definitely need 2 people when cutting something this big, but it works great. See the pictures here. 4 cuts and we had all this down in 2 hours." and "the chain would get crimped all the time" and "It cut branches 1" thick without a problem, all bigger sizes the saw kept jamming." On balance, it appears that people who knew what they were doing, and who did not try to use it alone, had good results. The rope used with that one looks like cheap polypropylene, I would think a good braided nylon rope would be better. There is one at https://www.amazon.com/PockeTech-HighLimb2-Inch-High-Chain/dp/B00YHDGYX8 that does not include rope and throw bag, and has what seems like a good observation in one of the reviews -- "Does not work well on large branches. Because of the large radius it tends to lay down on its side and then gets bent. On smaller branches it should work fine because the small radius will force it to stand up correctly."

It sounds like it would be worth trying.

I bought the Highlimb2 and got it yesterday. It seems to be of good quality. I've also bought 2 packs of 100', 400# paracord and already have other ropes If I need more length. It will be a few more weeks before I use the thing because I'm nursing some cracked ribs.

I've been having good luck w a big nut, a fishing rod w 15 lb. mono and a slingshot. I have someone point the rod towards the branch and shoot the nut over. After the line is over the branch I take the nut off and tie on a small carabiner w a small rope attached and use the fishing rod to pull the rope over, shaking the rod helps to get the carabiner past the v. If I need a larger rope I'll lay the ends together about a foot and wrap them w duct tape to sneak the fat rope past the V. I have just pulled down a bunch of dead limbs this way.

Back