Another hot day, another little load

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cuinrearview

Red saw lover
Reaction score
I don't cut in the summer unless I need to run a saw. Ran the 372 I just got together just long enough to dull the chain in the base of the red oak top I was cutting. The ported Dolmar made two cleanup cuts when I didnt want to abuse the Husky with a bad chain.19657.jpeg

You're tougher than i am.

I have had 3 cords of red oak down and cut to length since early June, haven't touched it since.....it's next years though.

You're tougher than i am.

I have had 3 cords of red oak down and cut to length since early June, haven't touched it since.....it's next years though.
Tough? Did you see that "load":eek:
And I took my son with me:numberone:.

But thank you. I wasn't super happy with the way the husky performed so I touched up the chain tonight and took the rakers way down and noodled some of those rounds. It's much better now...

Since selling the Timberwolf I've noodled a fair amount of rounds in half so I can get them onto the SuperSplit beam. Once there the splitter handles them well. Don't really miss the Timberwolf for what I've been doing, which is 20" dia. and under. No longer thinking of a 22 ton hydraulic to bust larger rounds. Just keeping the chain sharp.

Since selling the Timberwolf I've noodled a fair amount of rounds in half so I can get them onto the SuperSplit beam. Once there the splitter handles them well. Don't really miss the Timberwolf for what I've been doing, which is 20" dia. and under. No longer thinking of a 22 ton hydraulic to bust larger rounds. Just keeping the chain sharp.
Yah noodling is fun. I did it to test the saw. To test the chain. Also I will be hand splitting, so while red oak splits nice with the fiskars these rounds would have taken a few swings.

I don't cut in the summer unless I need to run a saw. Ran the 372 I just got together just long enough to dull the chain in the base of the red oak top I was cutting. The ported Dolmar made two cleanup cuts when I didnt want to abuse the Husky with a bad chain.View attachment 664470

I see you with the 372. How good is it. I bought three Husky 460 and like them. To me they are a very under rated saw. They are however are only 60cc so should not expect too much out of them. Was considering getting a couple of 372 kits to replace the 460's what would you say? Thanks

I see you with the 372. How good is it. I bought three Husky 460 and like them. To me they are a very under rated saw. They are however are only 60cc so should not expect too much out of them. Was considering getting a couple of 372 kits to replace the 460's what would you say? Thanks
That was only the first tank but the torque is really nice. I deleted the base gasket, but haven't touched the muffler yet. My brother has a 460 and it's a completely different class of saw. If I end up keeping this around I will mount a 24" bar on it.

I would seriously advise against a china kit. For every report of someone loving them, I see someone complaining about failure. Did you see the latest? The cracked case half that was powdered right over? I think for a part here and there china is ok but for a whole saw just buy a burned up project. There are lots of these being used by tree services. That's what this one was. I basically tore it all the way down and re-built it anyway. I bought three saws in pieces from a shop, sold what I didn't need, and built this one for free. It has some scratches but mechanically it's a $800 brand new saw. Just my opinion.

Thanks I wanted input. I am aware that the 460 is different than others in that it is a home owner/profession saw. To me I could care less what it is designed for. I filled them up with gas and oil they ran cut wood with little problems. Having to do some carb rebuilds a few times it is clear that there are some areas that are not the highest quality so what. All saws go through regular maintenance. I do not mind buying some project saws for full rebuild knowing that I will have some value in the end. Have not seen too many project saws here lately. My thoughts were what saw compare to the 460 and are more pop for the buck. At the moments I have four Stihls that are 87cc and above, but would like some small saws that could cut a log in a pinch. Thanks

Thanks I wanted input. I am aware that the 460 is different than others in that it is a home owner/profession saw. To me I could care less what it is designed for. I filled them up with gas and oil they ran cut wood with little problems. Having to do some carb rebuilds a few times it is clear that there are some areas that are not the highest quality so what. All saws go through regular maintenance. I do not mind buying some project saws for full rebuild knowing that I will have some value in the end. Have not seen too many project saws here lately. My thoughts were what saw compare to the 460 and are more pop for the buck. At the moments I have four Stihls that are 87cc and above, but would like some small saws that could cut a log in a pinch. Thanks
Totally understand Ted. I have enough projects that I can hold out for screaming deals so that's what I do. I also, like you, have enough running saws around I don't need to get anything. I can afford to be picky. If you really get the itch, my advice is buy a project 372 on ebay. Put another ~$125-$150 into it depending on how far you want to take the rebuild. You'll have right around the same amount into it as you would a huztl and itll be just as new inside and all(or mostly all) OEM.

Hmmmmm.... I know from the start I didn't create this thread to continue the huztl/OEM discussion but I'm not bothered that my free OEM build sitting on that gate sparks something. Our easy tap to purchase society is squashing the old school recycle parts/farmer mentality. We all have to do what makes us feel good right?

OK I will keep on looking for some thing that has been gassed or crunched a little. I have bought a few CL projects that have turned out OK. Crunch time is coming fast here as August is getting close. This year I have more than 60 cords available both Oak and Pine. However we might not have winter at all this year so if that happens who knows what that will be like. I still need an array of saws at every project and I only have 11 now. How do your saws compare to the 460's so I have idea for my target. Thanks

OK I will keep on looking for some thing that has been gassed or crunched a little. I have bought a few CL projects that have turned out OK. Crunch time is coming fast here as August is getting close. This year I have more than 60 cords available both Oak and Pine. However we might not have winter at all this year so if that happens who knows what that will be like. I still need an array of saws at every project and I only have 11 now. How do your saws compare to the 460's so I have idea for my target. Thanks
I generally under-bar my saws because I like to cut fast. 20" is probably the right size for a 460 for me, I've never tried one with at 18" though. I'm going to find a 24" for the 372 and just leave it that way. It will be a good mid to big sized firewood saw. I have a ported 5100s that honestly would fill all of my needs. It wears an 18" in 3/8 and with the AV on those saws just feels like it's not even working. I'm guessing it's power is very close to a 460 Husqvarna.

I use 24'' bars on my 056 supers, 30'' bars on my 076, 075, and 070. I prefer to use a 24'' bar for limbing with the larger limbs at about 16'' and maybe once and awhile a 20''. The larger logs are 66'' with the average being around 30''. I do not want to maneuver more than a 30'' or reach farther than a 24'' will reach. I have fallen in love with my 460's for many reasons, but they are a very small saw to begin with. So if the 372 is not much better than I will probably get a couple 660 or another 100cc plus saw that looks good. Since my saws might have to be abandoned for a year or more they should not cost more than $500 each. When I switch from one project to another it takes some time a couple of years before I get back to the original area. Thanks

Back