Another Injury

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Drip I read this report a few days ago and I was impressed with the red box statistics. In our case we are dealing with many "dead, dying, diseased" tanoaks. These trees especially the larger specimens are an accident just waiting to happen. The rotten tanoaks commonly loose their tops while falling and throw them down on the faller. Sometimes there is visible rot but often there is no evidence. If there is even one brown leaf on a tanoak I see a big potential hazard. I have taken to scraping soil around the butt to look at the roots too.

When a crew comes in from out of the area you can find me preaching about "local conditions" in the way someone from Warshington might preach about alders. This especially true for crews (and Captains) who deal mostly with Douglass fir, a relatively stable tree. Then I start hustling the crews way away from the falling area. I finish with "Did you see where that top landed? Right where you were standing."
but I like cutting alder... gets to do a lot of "trick" cuts and panicking

3. Cal Fire chooses not to train the inmates in first aid do to the cost and time spent.

Absolutely infuriating

In our case we are dealing with many "dead, dying, diseased" tanoaks. These trees especially the larger specimens are an accident just waiting to happen. The rotten tanoaks commonly loose their tops while falling and throw them down on the faller. Sometimes there is visible rot but often there is no evidence. If there is even one brown leaf on a tanoak I see a big potential hazard. I have taken to scraping soil around the butt to look at the roots too.

I'm always fighting this one where I work. We just got a Memorandum Of Understanding passed down via the F&W folks demanding snag retention wherever possible. Sometimes I can get them removed near ranges but otherwise we simply have to deal with them once they're on fire, we can't even have them removed during timber sales any more generally. It's not like we're somehow snag-poor!

Absolutely infuriating

I'm always fighting this one where I work. We just got a Memorandum Of Understanding passed down via the F&W folks demanding snag retention wherever possible. Sometimes I can get them removed near ranges but otherwise we simply have to deal with them once they're on fire, we can't even have them removed during timber sales any more generally. It's not like we're somehow snag-poor!

In my case I am working in a camp where hundreds of kids can be present. I evaluate each snag (and tree) for hazards and also for a target. If there is a possible target, and area where people or property can be, then the tree comes down. We also are not snag poor. This means I try to retain 2 snags per acre if at all possible and more is even better. In the redwood and fir areas there are not a lot of birds so nests are infrequent. Deer don't seem to nest in trees, at least in California.

I'm looking for a source for "wildlife tree" tags, usually a yellow diamond. If anyone knows a vendor please post it here.
We suffered a major wind event a few weeks ago that damaged trees all over the county. One property I work on is owned by an artist so he made his own tags. He did a great job on them.

In my case I am working in a camp where hundreds of kids can be present. I evaluate each snag (and tree) for hazards and also for a target. If there is a possible target, and area where people or property can be, then the tree comes down. We also are not snag poor. This means I try to retain 2 snags per acre if at all possible and more is even better. In the redwood and fir areas there are not a lot of birds so nests are infrequent. Deer don't seem to nest in trees, at least in California.

I'm looking for a source for "wildlife tree" tags, usually a yellow diamond. If anyone knows a vendor please post it here.
We suffered a major wind event a few weeks ago that damaged trees all over the county. One property I work on is owned by an artist so he made his own tags. He did a great job on them.
The deer couldn't afford to nest in trees in California. Prolly why the birds moved out too. Though being in a state adjacent to you our governor is attempting to follow the "unaffordable state" example.

Any updates on injury, condition or outcome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back