Another large oak with armillaria

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, very interesting, Jomoco and thank you for sharing your conversation. I, too, have learned a lot and this is why I come on these forums.

Did you by any chance talk to her re the Washington State's recommendations of removing the soil, air-drying, and infected tissue removal? (link on post #1 by homeowner).

Sylvia

(I do realize we still do not have a diagnosis here, but this has been a very informative thread IMHO.)

Ole Dave's just trying to get some elbow room at the table, he's been at it 40 years+ you know so make some room.

He needs a scientist to tell him whether a horse or cart in either order progresses with less resistance on a built road than scrub trail. :monkey:

Check this out Dave, I like it, it's about 4 years worth so far but I got real experience on top of it too. Oh, a "unit" is like a subject. ;)

attachment.php

Last edited:
I think it's more thruthful that you simply researched some of my early posts.
By the way, I am still in the market for that fert rig! While you have a very narrow realm of operation I am open to the body of work Dr. Fraedrich and Dr. Smiley, both scientists, produced concerning urea formaldahyde. To say it does not have it's place in the arborist tool box shows a certain lack of understanding. I mean that in a loving way. :) Compost teas flow real nice through fert rigs, as well

The truth is that we joined at about the same time and I have a good memory. Never back searched anyone's post. I am too busy an arb. for that. You were all about dispensing nitrogeneous fertilizers and you ran into a wall and have adjusted quite well. I am through bickering but would like to point out that it was you that fired missiles at me in 2 threads and I merely retaliated. Now I am the "playground bully" for a 3rd shot and I could say something like pseudo arb intellect but I won't cause I got too much class.

I am just reading this thread to find some documented treatments as I am sure others will if they key in "armillaria" and are directed to this thread.
jomoco's post above is a great example IMO of how a post should begin after a bit of conjecture. I merely was prompting the discussion with the scientist with my request for data, not trying to start an uproar. The biggest concern in our vicinity is the EAB and I attend seminars by scientists, read stacks of data and have a constant e mail dialogue with a lead scientist at Ohio State. That's the way I roll (insert laugh.....I don't take myself that seriously). Again, I am way too busy to attempt to find cures by doing experiments.

I got too much class.

i love irony.

dave is it? well, we only need to read post #99 for an example of what kind of class act you are.

If you insist on fighting then take it private. You familiar with the pm option this site gives us or do you need a scientist to help you with it?

Lets do this off the public record, fuzzybritches.

i love irony.

dave is it? well, we only need to read post #99 for an example of what kind of class act you are.

If you insist on fighting then take it private. You familiar with the pm option this site gives us or do you need a scientist to help you with it?

Lets do this off the public record, fuzzybritches.

Fuzzybritches? If you're gay for me, I'm not that kind of guy weasel. You got something to say in private give me a call 513 761 0020. If I was in your area I'd give you a face to face. Where do you live? In a cavity?

Fuzzybritches? If you're gay for me, I'm not that kind of guy weasel. You got something to say in private give me a call 513 761 0020. If I was in your area I'd give you a face to face. Where do you live? In a cavity?

You again...
You seem to stalking me like a teenager in heat. Find someone else to lavish all this attention on. Whatya say oletimer?

Hijacking this thread to spit your venom is not doing anybody any good.

and cereful what u ask for.

You again...
You seem to stalking me like a teenager in heat. Find someone else to lavish all this attention on. Whatya say oletimer?

Hijacking this thread to spit your venom is not doing anybody any good.

and cereful what u ask for.

Would love to get this thread back on task but find myself obligated to address comments made by a wannabe. Didn't expect a phone call but I got your condescending and offensive pm. You would be surprised what condition an "oldtimer" that is an athlete and physical fitness nut and been climbing trees for 40 years can be in. I am always ready for what I ask for, have been my whole life. Also I have been studying trees since way before it was popular and have a problem with your attempts to condescend towards me. I don't like you, you don't like me....let's move on ....unless you are ready to take it to another level. Like I said I am always ready, anyone that knows me knows that.

There is so much testosterone leaking out of this thread that some readers might get exposed to a toxic dose. Lighten up guys!

:notrolls2:

Maybe we should ask the moderators to start an additional forum, into which threads like this could be redirected: "Flame Central", or "Anger Management".

Here is a recent picture of me as I'm leaving our local gym!

attachment.php

The picture is fuzzy but the message is CLEAR!

You don't want none of this!

Mr. Woodweasel and I, Treevet, have bilaterally agreed to a cease fire in the PM section of the forum. :cheers: Apologies for my indulgence in this feud. Please continue this interesting thread. :givebeer: (just kidding ...I don't drink)

2 weeks away from AS, and the sameoldsameold. Moderator alert!

What wavelength is there so much more fungistatic than old Sol to make all the trouble and risk and expense worthwhile?

2 sources on fungal strategies attached; more about prevention though.

2 weeks away from AS, and the sameoldsameold. Moderator alert!

What wavelength is there so much more fungistatic than old Sol to make all the trouble and risk and expense worthwhile?

2 sources on fungal strategies attached; more about prevention though.

Treeseer- You always send good stuff. Those are good articles.

Nice links Treeseer.

I have noted that the armillaria infection route in SoCal live oaks is almost invariably on the northern stem that gets the least sunlight.

Your second link on drying killing armillaria would tend to explain that.

UV light ranges from 250 nm to 400nm, with the shorter waves under 300nm being considered germicidal and antifungal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultraviolet

Wouldn't it be cool to deliver UV light below the bark right at the cambium via tiny fiber optic bundles?

I wonder if cambium tissue flouresces under UV light?

Interesting abstract.

http://www.springerlink.com/content/u1281721750453l1/

jomoco

Last edited:
Just extremely interesting stuff Treeseer. Such a shame the Ojai live oak. Where are the tree protection codes when you need them? The city to blame no less.

These topical treatments that are discussed such as drying out and UV rays will destroy the cambium killing aspect but what about the decay causing aspect of the fungi that through successive attacks has penetrated wood and delignified cells with enzymes and compromised structure stability? How is this controlled?

contradiction: Landscape notes: "Armillaria is not a soil borne pathogen. It is a wood decay fungus. It needs wood to survive."

Trichoderma article: "Armillaria is a soil borne pathogen......"

One art. says antagonistic Trichoderma sp. works the other says" Trichoderma based biological control products (cannot) eliminate Armillaria from infected trees. Trichoderma can not grow through bark and the fungal zone lines to attack the pathogen...."

One art is 2004 the other is ?.

Man.....just when the good stuff shows up (Mr. Meilleur's arts.) nobody wants to come out and play anymore. Never said I couldn't be a PITA, but I'm not always one. You all could say the same thing I think.

Recently ran across this Liquidamber on it's belly next to a house, play area and hot wires that supplied the whole neighborhood. It had not one dead twig on it, was lush and green and the only signal of malady was the conk (Ganoderma) innocently and inconspicuously attached to its side that few would recognize. The wood inside was maybe 95 % delignified and it went over on a mildly breezy day. Most climbers would have climbed it (maybe 70 feet tall) and it could have killed them or kids in play area or anyone within reach. Armillaria can give the same appearance and results.

Ah....guess I zapped that pict. Anyway, the point being that to have the current availability of info to id and understand fungi that topple trees with no overt warning (Ganoderma, Armillaria) or do little or no harm such as Polyporus Squamosus being relatively innocuous is a blessing. Back in the day all we had was PP Perone's Tree Maintenance and Diseases of Ornamental Trees and Shrubs and we read and re read them til the covers fell off them. I own and have read "Wood decay Fungi" and "Fungal strategies of Wood Decay in Trees" and have just ordered the newest book by Schwarze ($200-ouch). This stuff is fascinating to me and the improved cultural practices, etc that can aid in prevention of occurance of these issues.

My last post til someone else fires one up. C ya :sword: (no more)

Hey Treeseer,

Great pdf's you have posted here...Where did you get information like that?

It would be great for you to share so we all can find good information when needed on a subject.:popcorn:

Back