Another New Member Wanting to Say Hello...and other stuff

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AgainstTheGrain1

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello wonderful and insightful members of Arboristsite! I have lurked around this site for a short while now and am only recently getting pretty serious about chainsaws. I have read a lot of great information on here from all of you and it has gotten me out of, or rather avoided, some potentially dangerous situations. i.e. lots of good info on how to fell standing dead trees (I do not want to make my wife a widow). It is black walnut though, so I wanted it to build my bed frame. So in advance, thanks for being knowledgeable. But more importantly, thanks for sharing that knowledge with novices like myself.

Currently, I have a little MS311 which has done quite well for me, but I have my eyes focused on larger game. Up to this point, I have cleared many an acre with the 311 and other borrowed saws (my brother is planting an orchard to help feed his community which I think is awesome, plus other smaller projects), but based on the information I have read on other threads on this site what I have just isn't not going to cut it...

I'd really like to get into chain milling and possible side business ventures with a former professional arborist I work with. With that said, I am sure I am going to contract "the virus" and build up my saw arsenal, regardless of whether I actually "need" that saw for milling :)

With that said, I am in the market for a used 066, MS660, etc, or bigger so I can get started milling. I am really looking for Stihl as I have enjoyed their products thus far and would like the interchangeability with my current saw plus the saws of my friend. But, I am open to suggestions. I would prefer it be a parts saw that I can rebuild (I used to rebuild engines, but I tinker in general) as I do not have a lot of money to spend, but I do make investments in good tools I feel I can depend on. I have a bunch of cedar and oak in my back yard right now awaiting slabbing so I can use it for various projects (I do have a pretty decent wood shop in the works. Unfortunately most of the equipment is 3ph so I had to hook up a rotary phase converter).

Lastly (and sorry for such a long post), I'd like to teach myself how to chain sharpen by hand and not HAVE to rely on a jig. I understand this is an art, but it is one I am willing to learn, especially with the help of my coworker (mentioned above). He made a few suggestions, but I figured I would reach out as not all files or sharpeners are created equal. I like simple and dependable.

Lastly (for real this time I promise), thanks again for taking the time to post such great information. I have been lurking here for a few months and a lot of the info has helped me tremendously. God Bless!

Welcome, dont know enough about taking trees down besides the usual wedge method, but sharpening was easy for me to do. Problem is, i think good eyes are needed (to learn) without a jig u need to see where the file touches the tooth, and be consistent with angle with every file movement. Theres alot of threads on here already about filing. Good luck. And welcome again

-•------------------------------------------------------------

Just a home owner that likes the older better made machines

Craftsman 3.7 x2
Husqvarna 36

Hello wonderful and insightful members of Arboristsite! I have lurked around this site for a short while now and am only recently getting pretty serious about chainsaws. I have read a lot of great information on here from all of you and it has gotten me out of, or rather avoided, some potentially dangerous situations. i.e. lots of good info on how to fell standing dead trees (I do not want to make my wife a widow). It is black walnut though, so I wanted it to build my bed frame. So in advance, thanks for being knowledgeable. But more importantly, thanks for sharing that knowledge with novices like myself.

Currently, I have a little MS311 which has done quite well for me, but I have my eyes focused on larger game. Up to this point, I have cleared many an acre with the 311 and other borrowed saws (my brother is planting an orchard to help feed his community which I think is awesome, plus other smaller projects), but based on the information I have read on other threads on this site what I have just isn't not going to cut it...

I'd really like to get into chain milling and possible side business ventures with a former professional arborist I work with. With that said, I am sure I am going to contract "the virus" and build up my saw arsenal, regardless of whether I actually "need" that saw for milling :)

With that said, I am in the market for a used 066, MS660, etc, or bigger so I can get started milling. I am really looking for Stihl as I have enjoyed their products thus far and would like the interchangeability with my current saw plus the saws of my friend. But, I am open to suggestions. I would prefer it be a parts saw that I can rebuild (I used to rebuild engines, but I tinker in general) as I do not have a lot of money to spend, but I do make investments in good tools I feel I can depend on. I have a bunch of cedar and oak in my back yard right now awaiting slabbing so I can use it for various projects (I do have a pretty decent wood shop in the works. Unfortunately most of the equipment is 3ph so I had to hook up a rotary phase converter).

Lastly (and sorry for such a long post), I'd like to teach myself how to chain sharpen by hand and not HAVE to rely on a jig. I understand this is an art, but it is one I am willing to learn, especially with the help of my coworker (mentioned above). He made a few suggestions, but I figured I would reach out as not all files or sharpeners are created equal. I like simple and dependable.

Lastly (for real this time I promise), thanks again for taking the time to post such great information. I have been lurking here for a few months and a lot of the info has helped me tremendously. God Bless!
No 140 character limit here. Your post, your rules.
W/hand filing I suggest you learn/experent on your small bar. A long one can take forever just to get a chance to test it. I think with CSM really you'll want to use a good guide.
If you haven't already you should watch
http://www.arboristsite.com/community/forums/chainsaws.150/
When the right saw comes up it'll call to you.

FWIW,
If your serious about hand sharpening, I would suggest getting an Oregon or Grandberg bar mount file guide, It will help you keep your angles accurate until you get the feel of how to do it. They're fairly cheap and they work great.

Also, always have sharp files. After a few sharpenings, (depending on length of chain) they get dull and can make hand sharpening a chain quite a burden. I usually get about 6-10 sharpenings on a 24" chain, depending upon how dull it is. Buy files in bulk to save money.

Files can be sharpened, but I don't feel like dealing with acid, so I just buy more files. I have not had good luck with Stihl files, most of their files I have had were bent. I've had great luck with Nicholson files.

Just my $.02

Wow
Nice first post
You will get a lot help here
066 will do you good
What mill frames are you looking at

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi Hedge. Thanks for the response. Currently, I have read really good things about the Granberg Mill attachments. I will eventually build my own band mill, but that won't be for some time until I can sit it in a permanent home. If you know of other good alaska type milling attachments, I am all ears!

Thanks again!.

FWIW,
If your serious about hand sharpening, I would suggest getting an Oregon or Grandberg bar mount file guide, It will help you keep your angles accurate until you get the feel of how to do it. They're fairly cheap and they work great.

Also, always have sharp files. After a few sharpenings, (depending on length of chain) they get dull and can make hand sharpening a chain quite a burden. I usually get about 6-10 sharpenings on a 24" chain, depending upon how dull it is. Buy files in bulk to save money.

Files can be sharpened, but I don't feel like dealing with acid, so I just buy more files. I have not had good luck with Stihl files, most of their files I have had were bent. I've had great luck with Nicholson files.

Just my $.02
Happysaws, great info! I have worked with Nicholson files in the past doing automotive work but honestly never considered them, which is stupid of me because they are really high quality. For some reason my mind was locked in on buying a chainsaw specific file...Thank you for changing my perspective. As for the file guide, I have read good things about the Grandberg and will probably pick one up for practice. Developing my muscle memory until I no longer need it is a good idea. Thanks again.

Secondly: when you state product preference; you just lost 50% of 'the vote'....

What does this mean, as I'm also relatively new here...?
So should I not have stated that I haven't had the best of luck with Stihl files???
Just want to make sure so that I don't ruffle any feathers, and I apologize if I already have.

What does this mean, as I'm also relatively new here...?
So should I not have stated that I haven't had the best of luck with Stihl files???
Just want to make sure so that I don't ruffle any feathers, and I apologize if I already have.
hello I'm Jamie.
# 1 rule: everything writen doesn't need to be understood...ESPECIALLY if I'm the one writing.

Anyway it had a hint of a political reference but mainly a long standing reference to a Husqvarna/Stihl rivalry of the loyals.
That was your free one :)

.... I am sure I am going to contract "the virus" and build up my saw arsenal, regardless of whether I actually "need" that saw for milling :)....
Yep, it's definitely a virus/disease. Very contagious, and the only cure is death. :)

Search the thread "You know you have CAD when..." The effects of 'the virus' are easily seen there.
[emoji1]

Firstly: I would like to welcome you to the site
Secondly: when you state product preference; you just lost 50% of 'the vote'.
Thirdly: As I said; I 'WOULD LIKE TO' welcome you to the site....BUT I'm for the other team..:dancing:...welcome to the site friend

Hey now, nothing against Husky. Used a few and they perform great. Then again, I own a Cummins 12V and have a few Ford friends who have swapped them into their trucks. Being the hobby machinist I am, I'll now be gunning to sell you a a Husky saw with Stihl organs! Seriously though, interchangeability is key to me as I like my tools to work as a team. If I own an assortment of different saws, it would be like owning two teams who wanted to kill each other (with me in the middle....) Thanks for the good info (and the welcome), though.

Okay thanks for the tip, personally I'm "loyal" to Remington Arms Co. chainsaws, so I was not fully aware of the rivalry.
Some people can take it a little serious. I do remember we had a thread with a preference pole on here prehaps two year back and Husqvarna was the highest percentage, edging out Stihl. So Husqvarna rules so don't dool. .lol

Don't forget to post lots of pictures. Esp of mistakes and failures.

I am pretty good about donning PPE, so hopefully minimal accidents to self. As far as mis-dropping trees on houses or vehicles, I'll wait to post until I am sure insurance will cover the damage....Hasn't happened yet (knock on wood). Cheers!

Hey now, nothing against Husky. Used a few and they perform great. Then again, I own a Cummins 12V and have a few Ford friends who have swapped them into their trucks. Being the hobby machinist I am, I'll now be gunning to sell you a a Husky saw with Stihl organs! Seriously though, interchangeability is key to me as I like my tools to work as a team. If I own an assortment of different saws, it would be like owning two teams who wanted to kill each other (with me in the middle....) Thanks for the good info (and the welcome), though.
You are 'well spoken', Although I can't duplicate, I certainly reconize. We can all take lessons now can't we. You are exactly right. Very smart! Don't ever mismatch your gear. Thats about as useless as tits on a Bull.
If you want an easy life. ..go for compatability.
It's always principals over personalities.

FWIW,

Just my $.02
first hi and welcome @AgainstTheGrain1. @happysaws,just curious about bent stihl files as i have been using them for 30 years and never had/found a bent one. i pay $3.99 for a 3 pack so yes they are disposable.

Latest posts

Back