Another older mac... but what is it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Should be no problem, I had a 20 inch bar on an xl-12 that had seen better days, and it pulled it fine. The -76 is a bit larger saw as well. I think that little xl-1 would pull a 20 inch bar in softwood, those Homelite reed valve saws have a lot of torque.

Found one of these in the woods used parts to fix the little 2.0 Mac eager beaver. Used the longer bar n chain.

I have an old xl12 with a early weed wacker attachment on it. Still runs since the mid 80’s.

I guess these new saws won’t hit vintage status still running.

I was at Accurate the other day talking to a serviceman/tech about the Homelite I brought in and it's adjustments that I just can't seem to get right to keep it running. He loves old Homelites, we chatted for a bit about them. I grabbed a new plug for it & saw a guy was standing at the end of the counter gazing at the saw. Turns out he's the owner, another Homelite fan from decades ago. I could have stayed there for hours chatting & listening to basically, small engine history. OMC was owned by Husqvarna or something like that. They went through all the company connections over the decades from Jred to Husky, Stihl, Poulin, Makita... you name it. I was amazed at the connections between a small engine manufacturer and OMC? A boat I had years ago had an OMC engine that was actually a GM V6 that was labeled OMC.
Could have stayed & listened to the stories, saw talk, what came out when, with who, how good, bad things... all of it.
Just needed a campfire and some bevies ;-)

Found one of these in the woods used parts to fix the little 2.0 Mac eager beaver. Used the longer bar n chain.

I have an old xl12 with a early weed wacker attachment on it.
A weed whacker attachment? What the kind of hellish weed whacker needs to be powered by that?! lol

It’s driven off the sprocket by a short chain with no teeth. The bracket is slotted to fit the bar studs. its a 90 degree gear box cable driven to the wacker hub. I have it somewhere next time the boy is here I get pics. My dealer gave it to me he said don’t put it on a husky too many rpms.
Btw it still fires up.

High tech for the time. Nevermind for the time, it still sounds awesome!

Got an old little eager beaver 2.0 I think it is. Started right up sharpened it carried it on my quad. Perfect sized saw. Runs everything.

I was at Accurate the other day talking to a serviceman/tech about the Homelite I brought in and it's adjustments that I just can't seem to get right to keep it running. He loves old Homelites, we chatted for a bit about them. I grabbed a new plug for it & saw a guy was standing at the end of the counter gazing at the saw. Turns out he's the owner, another Homelite fan from decades ago. I could have stayed there for hours chatting & listening to basically, small engine history. OMC was owned by Husqvarna or something like that. They went through all the company connections over the decades from Jred to Husky, Stihl, Poulin, Makita... you name it. I was amazed at the connections between a small engine manufacturer and OMC? A boat I had years ago had an OMC engine that was actually a GM V6 that was labeled OMC.
Could have stayed & listened to the stories, saw talk, what came out when, with who, how good, bad things... all of it.
Just needed a campfire and some bevies ;-)

You just need to find and frequent the right shops, just common **** chat in the old school shops I hang out in. We all know the history of chainsaws from the first attempts to the evolution of chain, bars and saws from Emil Lerp on through every saw manufactures there ever was in most of the modern world. Lots of beers drank and likely thousands of hours shot keeping the history alive.

You just need to find and frequent the right shops, just common **** chat in the old school shops I hang out in. We all know the history of chainsaws from the first attempts to the evolution of chain, bars and saws from Emil Lerp on through every saw manufactures there ever was in most of the modern world. Lots of beers drank and likely thousands of hours shot keeping the history alive.

That's awesome. Good times for sure!

Latest posts

Back