Another silver maple ...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbowes80

Reaction score
Hello ... this is my first post. Like another recent poster, I'm wondering about a large silver maple near (and partially over) the house I recently moved into. The tree is actually growing from the tree-lawn (so technically is the city's responsibility.)

Here it is:
20200520_195541.jpg

The lowest/furthest branch in the picture lays over the rear part of the house. The other branches lay over the backyard.

By all accounts, it's a well-behaved tree. Despite being sandwiched between the sidewalk and road, there's no sign of root damage, nor am I aware of any foundation damage it's ever caused to the home (which is over 100 years old.)

Any thoughts? I'd hate to see it go, but wouldn't mind seeing it lose a limb or too ... however I'm not sure how pressing it is or how much risk it poses.

Without seeing the rest of the tree, those branches look to be in good shape, If you cut back those branches, rot will start down the remaining sections but the house will be safe, If you don't cut back those branches, they will continue to get bigger and eventually fall onto the house.

Hello ... this is my first post. Like another recent poster, I'm wondering about a large silver maple near (and partially over) the house I recently moved into. The tree is actually growing from the tree-lawn (so technically is the city's responsibility.)

Here it is:
View attachment 836385

The lowest/furthest branch in the picture lays over the rear part of the house. The other branches lay over the backyard.

By all accounts, it's a well-behaved tree. Despite being sandwiched between the sidewalk and road, there's no sign of root damage, nor am I aware of any foundation damage it's ever caused to the home (which is over 100 years old.)

Any thoughts? I'd hate to see it go, but wouldn't mind seeing it lose a limb or too ... however I'm not sure how pressing it is or how much risk it poses.
call the city and have them cut it down and cut it up in to mangable size pcs for free for firewood

Latest posts

Back