Another tree ID helper outer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It ain't that bad as long as you are not hand splitting it. Usually lots of crotches and brantchy pieces. It's rampant around here because it grows on field edges. I rarely find them deep in the woods. Works fine in the boiler just not a longevity wood.

Like Wood Doctor, I don't want any box elder in my woodpile. Only 3 deciduous species I can think of offhand that I will not touch: box elder, cottonwood, and tree of heaven.
No sure why you included cottonwood on that list, but that's just MHO. It's the best campfire wood that I can wrap. Nobody complains -- easy to carry, easy to light, and makes good flames. But, if I include box elder in a bundle, customers all sneer at me. Many cook with their firewood.

I've heard others get along great with cottonwood. To me it seems like a great volume of wood with not so much BTUs. But I'll never argue against what works well for someone else.

I've seen dead on the stump, barkless cottonwood that looked like it should burn hot. But only stuff I've burned was cut green and seasoned with bark on--might make a difference. I should try it for camp wood. Sounds like it'd make good cookstove wood.

Box elder burns much better than cotton wood and is usually way lighter before drying. BTU's are considerably higher as well. Maybe the species out by you are different but most cotton wood here is found around water and it sucks it in.

I think I'm gonna let this one go....got the honey locust in a couple of weeks.....picked up a load of locust today....afraid I'm gonna run out room...:(

Latest posts

Back