Anti Vibe Glove recommendations

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eriklane

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Purchased gloves off Amazon and disappointed-I realize that it's about 50/50 when I'm using a saw for smaller wood and my left hand ends up holding the bar mostly by my fingers, not at all even pressing with my palm...and my right hand the same...so, the nice vibe gloves I bought are probably great for an air hammer where you're always pushing, but, they're just not helping.

Who can recommend a good pair? Or, I've thought if I could wrap some good cushion on at least the left hand bar that would help a lot...vibe tape is 35 bucks ! Wow.

I have not used these. I have used other gloves from the same company. Good quality. If I were going to buy a pair, I would start here:

EDIT: link removed due to bad review

I've used the mechanix cg-40s as well as the Tillman 1462's both work fairly well in regards to vibe dampening, but in all honesty neither last long in regards to handling wood on a regular basis as the fingers get tore up pretty quickly.

One thing that I wanted to try was treating the palms and fingers of these gloves with something like shoe-goo to see if they will stand up and last longer in regards to fingers wearing out.

Petzl Midweight belay gloves. Awesome with ropes, anti vibe and brush dragging. They're not cheap at $50, but well worth it since they last twice as long as anything else. Double leather palm plus a little insulation. I use them for climbing. Doesn't matter how hard you let a rope run through Em, you'll be fine. Also provides finger protection for flip lines. Skip the lightweight belays, they don't last as long.

WatsonR-are you recommedng the fallers gloves for everthing or just hauling? How much vibe protection do they offer?

I did a quick google on the .99 polyesters. They look like the same things you might find at harbor freight or sometimes at the fleamarket.
Sometimes find them as "door buster" items.

The polyester makes them tough but slick on anything hard or dusty.
They're great for handling sruffy barked wood or bricks etc or old parts
that might have rough edge.
At the typical price you just grab a couple dozen when you spot them
I'll usually wear a pair till it 's a bit dirty and if not torn, throw 'em in a milk crate
and then toss in the washer.
Greasy/oily ones just get discarded, not worth the trouble of greasing up your washing machine ( and next laundry) over them.

gunnusmc03 idea of the shoe-goo sounds interesting, been debating something like that also...
With carpal tunnel and peripheral nerve damage, I'm looking at push mower and string trimmer usage.
I've got short hands and it's tough to pick a pair of gloves over the web.
Plus most of the pics show the aforementioned padding that's not in the areas
that are needed.

I use the fallers gloves for running a saw, especially saws without A/V and I have a bunch of those type saws. I use the gloves to handle wood, swing the splitting axe and whatever I'm doing when using a saw, like drag brush.

They're cheap, get dirty easily but save my fingers and hands from vibrating the rest of the day. AND at .99 cent a pair, if they get messed up, I grab an new pair and keep going.

Another approach is to get some bike grip (foam) tape for the front grip. Did that with the one saw I've got without a/v. The adhesive is just tacky, not real sticky, so the tape can be removed and reapplied. Works great on my vintage Echo- huge improvement.

Then with atlas latex-palm gloves you easily get a great grip without white-finger.

A/V gloves need to be full-fingered, to protect the digits, and because cold is linked to vibration related disorders, according to ISO standards.

They also must allow enough dexterity to grasp the saw and operate the controls.

Gel palmed 'impact' gloves are not A/V.

The best ones I have found are made by Impacto - they have lots of styles. I like the ones with smooth leather palms and the air bladder A/V liners.

About $40 - $50 a pair. Use other gloves for wood handling.

image.jpg
Second place: OK-1, model 990 full-fingered glove. About $30 (they run slightly small).

image.jpg
Third place: knit gloves with foamed rubber palm segments. Wear out quickly. As low as $10 (unless they are labeled 'STIHL'!).

image.jpg

There may be other brands and styles. These are what I have tried and used with saws.

Philbert

I use the Mechanix mpact gloves when I need anti vibe. Work pretty well. Without them my hands would start tingling after running a trimmer for 10 minutes. With them, I can go several hours.

You guys are missing out on the Petzl mid weights. If you like leather gloves, those are the way to go. They'll easily last me 2 months at 40-50 hrs a week in Em. Tough as **** too. Great protection. I even throw Em in the washer when they get nasty and they come out fine.

I like the Stihl AV gloves for running a weed whacker but at $17.00 per pair and considering they are fragile I would not use them running a saw. I use either cotton rigging gloves or less often polyester fallers gloves. I buy in bulk from Madsens each summer. I used to use the orange gloves with latex cross sections but they also wear fast and it was too hard to get stickers out.

To the OP; it is good that you are concerned about the vibes. The damage is cumulative. I highly suggest wearing a copper bracelet while you are not working. I don't know why it works but it does for me and several friends. As a kid on the ranch all the old cowboys born in the 19th century wore a copper bracelet and swore by them. I do too now.

Back