Welcome to ArboristSite.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the ArboristSite community.

ArboristSite.com Sponsors

1. Please see this post Click Here Please ask questions if you have them!! I hope this is going to be great for us all.
    Dismiss Notice

Anti Vibe Gloves

Discussion in 'Hand Held Equipment and Tools' started by WesternSaw, Jun 30, 2018.

1. WesternSaw

WesternSaw Addicted to ArboristSite

Hi Fellas
    I see there are a couple of threads on the topic but wonder if there are any updates to this topic. I'm getting some numb fingers on my right hand when running my 90 Kombi unit .Maybe I'm holding it too tight .
    Thanks
    WesternSaw

rngrchad likes this.
  2. LumberjackElf

LumberjackElf ArboristSite Lurker

Just had numbness in my thumb and pointer finger on my right hand about 2 months ago after weed whacking with an FS90R for about four hours straight with a couple 2 minute breaks for refueling and water. I had never had any issues with vibrations before that.

I bought ProFlex 9000 Certified Lightweight Anti-Vibration Work Gloves off Amazon for about $30 including shipping. I wear them every time I use the trimmer now because they say the effects are cumulative. I’m also planning on using them for hedge trimming because according to a Stihl chart the hedge trimmers are the worst when it comes to vibrations.

I’m still getting used to the thickness of the gloves. My fingers get tired from gripping the machine now, but that’s just from the new grip. The gloves I have aren’t too bad in the heat and high humidity either. Overall wasn’t too difficult of a change comfort wise. Hope this helps.

WesternSaw likes this.
  3. WesternSaw

Thanks for the advice Lumberjackelf ! That's when I have noticed it as well, after about 3 hours continued use .It's not not good !
    I have heard that continued use under those conditions will lead to a permanent condition and who wants that . Sort of like RSI's ( Repeatative Strain Injuries )
    WesternSaw

4. LumberjackElf

LumberjackElf ArboristSite Lurker

Here’s the Stihl vibration data sheet for brushcutters.

http://static.stihl.com/security_data_sheet/downloads/GB_FS_KWKZ.pdf

And this page you can find all Stihl vibration data sheets as well as other information about Hand-Arm Vibration Syndrome.

https://www.stihl.co.uk/eu-vibration-directive.aspx

sawfun and WesternSaw like this.
  5. Huskybill

Huskybill ArboristSite Guru

My hand cramps stopped when I switched to the anti vibration saws. I did use very thick leather with the wool liners army gloves. Even with the anti vibration.

My hands get numb on the dirtbike when I grip too tight.

WesternSaw and JTM like this.
  6. GlynnC

GlynnC ArboristSite Operative

I’ve had good results with the padded anti-vibe leather gloves from Home Depot or Lowes—it’s been a couple years since I bought them. I actually had to switch to a Husqvarna 525L line trimmer because of it’s very advanced anti-vibe grip. My right hand (throttle hand) was going numb. The gloves and new trimmer have helped tremendously!

WesternSaw, JTM and axeandwedge like this.
  7. JTM

JTM ArboristSite Guru

My hands would be numb if I gripped a push broom for four hours straight. If you don’t do something like this on an almost daily basis your body will not be used to it. If you do this work daily, or several times a week, as an occupation and symptoms are persistent then you best see a doctor. Everybody’s different though. Age and autoimmune diseases can really exacerbate cumulative trauma disorders. Carpal tunnel syndrome might be a nuisance to some, debilitating to a few, but Reynaud’s (white finger) is not something you want to mess with.

When I rode off-road bikes slight changes in the thickness of gloves and/or grips can make a big difference. A steering dampener is a must. Helps reduce arm pump.

It’s not only vibration but how you grip the tool as well. Anti-vibe gloves are great in reducing fatigue which to me is the main advantage/benefit as a weekend warrior. We all know that fatigue opens the door to something bad waiting to happen.

WesternSaw and Cope1024 like this.
  8. rngrchad

rngrchad Addicted to ArboristSite

Anti-vibe gloves? Do you mean “b!tch mittens”? :D

JTM likes this.
  9. JTM

JTM ArboristSite Guru

LMAO! That my friend is going into my not-so-technical dictionary.

LegDeLimber and rngrchad like this.
  10. ValleyFirewood

ValleyFirewood Addicted to ArboristSite

I have a Kombi and it's a vibrating son of a gun. I get buzzing hands if I use that thing for more than 20-30 mins at a time. For the $$ it cost, you'd figure they could balance it better!

11. rngrchad

rngrchad Addicted to ArboristSite

The Stihl 4mix weed trimmers are the worst vibration attenuation into my wrists of any hand powered tool I run. I can't explain it, but I can run my oldschool FS80 2stroke trimmer all day long. If I run my fs70 (4mix) my hands literally hurt after 30 minutes. Strange.....same with some stihl chainsaws....run a stihl for 20 minutes= hands lose their dexterity and strength, run a Husky for 4 hours straight and no problems at all..... the ***** mittens was a joke fellas. I'm sympatheic towards vibration issues as I have a steel plate in my forearm and 6 screws.

WesternSaw likes this.
  12. ValleyFirewood

ValleyFirewood Addicted to ArboristSite

I have no issues with most saws, mostly run Stihl, but have a few Husqvarnas, Poulan Pros, Efcos, etc around the shop. I had an MS290 years ago and that was rough on the hands.

WesternSaw likes this.
  13. Cope1024

Cope1024 Stihl Crazy

I too used to ride bikes. I rode between 20-60 miles at a time. The numbing from riding without good gloves is a PITA, but it can lead to permanent nerve damage. I wonder if cycling gloves wouldn't work well for O P E use as well?

WesternSaw likes this.
  14. WesternSaw

Thanks for the replies fellas ! Going to search out some good anti vibe gloves @
    WesternSaw

15. LegDeLimber

LegDeLimber Addicted to ArboristSite

One other thought on vibration.
    Pull out the drive line~cable and re-grease it every year. (twice ain't gonna hurt a thing)
    I've found that keeping fresh grease in the drive lines helps damp some of the vibration.
    Lower boom of the attachments usually just has two fasteners to remove and you're able to slid it out then.
    a shot of lube in the gear head while you're doing this, is good too.

Now if only the upper boom was easier to lube.... the crimped assy means cable doesn't slip out like the lower boom.

WesternSaw likes this.