Antique saw thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah,I've got an F-35 too.I picked it up yesterday from the "repair shop"after being there for 11 months & having NOTHING done to it.This was before I started working on my own saws.I didn't need much done to it - a carb rebuild,a clutch spring installed,a new switch put in,& a chain cut to fit the bar.As I said,I got the saw back yesterday & I did all that stuff except for cutting the chain.When I went to pull on the recoil I found that the saw was beginning to seize up from sitting on a concrete floor all that time.I was not happy about it.I did manage to get the saw freed up,but found it has no spark now because of sitting on the concrete floor,it had spark last yr.when I dropped it off.Needless to say,he'll never get any more business from me,& word of mouth can either make or break a business.
Ed

One of those little Frontiers became my first chainsaw as a youngster. My wife as girlfriend at the time got it for a half tank of gas a guy could not pay for back in the Trudeau NEP debacle. Times were tough in Alberta back then.

Worked on my 090 for the first time since getting it. It's always run good, but seemed to be struggling a bit last time we milled with it so I have adjusted the governor up, cleaned the fuel filter and will be re-kitting the carb. Should make it run good again. Such an easy saw to work on.

20180701_205027.jpg

20180701_205047.jpg

The saw is pretty much mint. My uncle bought it from the dealer in the 1990s and used it exclusively for chainsaw milling. I'm guessing it got used less than a dozen times a year at most. I've only milled with it a handful of times.

Picked these two up from my friends estate.. The Wright is stuck and rusted.. I filled it with ATF and I'll let it sit a while, I'd like to restore it and hang it on the wall in his memory... He was a saw filer by trade. Sure I could just make it look pretty and hang it, but I like things to be operational.

20180702_234339.jpg

I think it won't take much to get this one to run.. thumb oiler is stuck, but it turns over and has compression. Have to fix the recoil, take the carb apart, and probably look at the ignition and points too, Probably clean gunk out of the fuel tank... A coat of paint and it should be alright after.. has a 24" 404 chain
20180702_234310.jpg

thumbnail

thumbnail

As requested here are the pics of my Frontier saws.
Ed

Got the Wright apart, with a lot of heat and hammering.. I think I'll be able to salvage it.. unfortunately one ring refused to come out in one piece.. Anyone know of where I can get them? 2.5" x .125.. should be pretty common in other applications too.. Push comes to shove I have a slightly larger ring from a Briggs I might be able to adapt.. Piston cleaned up nice, main bearings are junk (anyone know the part number on them?) rod bearings.. well.. I probably ought to replace them. Secondary piston is good, Cylinder got honed.. ain't ever gonna be perfect again but it should be good enough to fire.. If I found rings slightly oversized I'd hone it a whole bunch more and clean it up better.

Back