Antique saw thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Picked up another Barker Rim Circle saw today. It was the small version.
64dbd7648d1c9c7ca8cf24221a9a78ea.jpg
dfaef98c52c66084e38337567e4418e7.jpg
a9cbc2d46fe8c2cf9bad0135086bbb95.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Started the reassembly of the PM Canadien 21 on the weekend, but that got put on hold as I had some firewood to go cut with my father, and I needed a carb kit.

20190705_211228.jpg

20190705_211412.jpg

These are beautifully well engineered saws that are very simple to work on.

Very nice work! :)

Ditto. Outstanding. I imagine you've seen this vid before. Gotta wonder what nearly 5000 viewers disliked about it. I found it pretty interesting, myself. I've seen a few others like it as well. Last one was a Russian guy rebuilding an old Russian saw. Takes a lot of time to put a stop action vid together!

Other than Ebay where can you find parts for these saws?
Ed
You need to know people who have part saws.... the last couple saws I've done full restorations on have been on the rarer side, so I reached out to the community on here for parts, and through the incredible generosity of a few members I've been able to put together some nice running saws. Starting with a solid complete saw I the best advice I have. Don't pay too much for a wreck.

The good thing about the older (1950s) vintage saws is that seals, bearings and piston rings tend to be common inch sizes so they are readily available. Add to that the fact that most manufacturers shared common parts across models and it makes it easier. For saws that I intend to use a bunch I usually cobble together whatever I can to make them work. I also have access to a lathe and mill, so I can make parts when needed.

Check ebay for "PM Canadien" almost nothing on there. Nothing at all for this model. Which I consider strange seeing as they made a bunch of them. I also find it strange when I travel across BC and Canada, that certain brands seem very prevalent in small pockets. For instance, the 3 valley gap museum (near Revelstoke) has large PM saws laying around everywhere, but I've only seen a couple in the lower mainland for sale in the past 5 years, even though they were made here (lots of 330/340s though). Similarly it is quite rare to see 10 series mccullochs for sale in the lower mainland, but there seem to be more in the east kootenays and on the island. I do see lots of pioneers around here though. And homelites.

Takes a lot of time to put a stop action vid together!

Yeah, I can't imagine the hours some of the youtubers have into creating their content. I barely stop to take photos when I am building a saw. Usually only of things I think i'll forget how they go together, or when the saw is mostly complete.

Ditto. Outstanding. I imagine you've seen this vid before. Gotta wonder what nearly 5000 viewers disliked about it. I found it pretty interesting, myself. I've seen a few others like it as well. Last one was a Russian guy rebuilding an old Russian saw. Takes a lot of time to put a stop action vid together!

I supplied some parts that went into that restoration, he did a fantastic job.

20191202_145235.jpg 20191202_145223.jpg 20191122_092323.jpg Where do the Lombards and David Bradley's fall? I picked up 3, 2 Lombards and a Kee-Line (DB). I think the big Lombard is an L90. I left the 2 Lombards on my farm in WV and I only have one pic. I forgot to check for tags and such. Was on the way to deer camp and the saws were on the side track. The Lombard is missing the recoil, but has every thing else. It does spin over.

Latest posts

Back